Rare fish>>>>>>>>>>>

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Where is the best site to order rare and hard to find fish?
I want something different and unique. I'm not sure exactly what....maybe some type of Lionfish or Frogfish? Who knows. Like I said something different.

Has anyone bread Lionfish in the aquarium yet?

Thanks,
Steve

OP
OP
follow3

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually hoping to find a source for a couple of Lionfish:
1. Black Foot Lionfish
2. Fu Manchu Lionfish

Any idea where I might find either?

Thanks,
Steve

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you want a Blackfoot Lionfish be prepared to get a chiller.....I had one about 1 1/2 ago and through my readings( what there is out there) the range for these fish are not a wide range but do get into some tropical parts. The problem is the tropical areas they are deep and stay within water that is no hi9gher then 71 degrees. A bunch of people over that Grimreefers.com had them and all but one died. We also think in conjunction with the wrong temps they were also caught with cyanide......They are an absolutely gorgeous fish but you will have to have the right parameters in temps to keep one for any length of time.....

OP
OP
follow3

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Azurel, I had no idea about the temps.
Thanks for the input. I think I will steer clear of the Blackfoot and stick to the Fu Manchu. I already located a few of them anyway.

Thanks,
Steve

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEa that was a $100 lesson....I will one day have a cold water tank just for a couple of them. They are my most wanted fish ever.....I really can't tell how beautiful they are in real life. They have some odd quirks to I found out in the week it took for mine to eventually die.

alfon76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys:

New here and have to say I have yet to read a fraction of all the good info on this site. I read the info here on the bad experience with Blackfoot Lions and got worried with mine a bit. I got him about 1 month ago and he has been a delight but the weird thing is that he is living in a tank where the water temp is between 82-85 degrees farenheit. He wants to be fed every day and swims all over the tank with little problems. He has yet to eat non-live but am working on it. The only thing I did different was that I allowed the fish to stay at the LFS for about 10-14 days before I bought him and they saved him for me. He got used to the water, ate and did good for them, which might have something to do on why he is doing good so far. I will keep you updated because this could possibly mean the fish doesn't need a cool water tank to survive. Mine is about 3 inches long now.
Here are some pics as well for you and hope you like him despite my aweful photo skills.

Ivan

Blackfoot03.jpg

Blackfoot02.jpg

Blackfoot01.jpg

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great Alfon, it could possibly be that he was more indigenous to shallow water as well where the temps would be more tropical. Their range does reach into the indo pacific and tropical waters. THe thing I think happened to ours or the large batch that came in a few years ago was Cyanide poisoning. To me I think that this was the biggest possibility, many fish that have wide ranges can actually handle the higher temps obviously what your proving right now with yours......Keep up the great work, I would love to get another one, they are my all time favorite fish.

:welcome:

alfon76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot guys. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he continues to do well. I am trying to get more so I can have at least 2 in the tank but we will see if and when that happens. Currently there is only a Fu-Manchu with him and I plan to get a Radiata. That would be it for lions in that tank or anywhere else for that matter.
Thanks again and will keep learning from all of you as I am not a rookie to fish keeping (since 1988) but I consider myself a rookie in saltwater for sure.

Ivan

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be one nice tank, I love Lionfish my top on the list of favs.....I used to have a Volantis that I got when it was just over an inch. I kept it in my reef tank till it was about 3'' and moved it to it's own tank. Over the next 6 years it got to be about 15'' and would eat from my hand, allow me to rub it's chin. It died shortly after I moved in with this chick and I left it at my dads house. It tried to swallow a Dwarf lion and choked itself......I cried with that one, he was my favorite fish I ever had.....Here is a pic of the second favorite fish I have had.....I killed this one by being stupid and about cried with this one as well....Highlighter yellow Dwarf lion cost me a bundle to....
DSCN9597.jpg

DSCN9595.jpg

These are some of the pics of this lionfish that F. Marini over on RC stole and used in his speech at IMAC a few years ago. Telling people that this was his fish and that he had taken the pics......

alfon76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is one gorgeous lionfish. Indeed, I have yet to see a yellow one but have considered buying a bright red one that my LFS has right now. It is also quite messed up that someone will steal pics and claim your fish as theirs. Pretty bad ethics in my opinion.

I am not sure yet if the site has a photo gallery for fishes but I will post more Lion pics either there or open a new thread for them here.

Ivan

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back