Rasta and armageddon zoas

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought a single Armageddon polyp from work (only $12.75!!) but I'm having a hard time finding much info on them, other than they are one of the known "difficult" zoas. Anyone have some first hand experience with them? Or know what they like? My Rastas are doing amazing, despite pretty terrible water params. While my nitrate/phos/ammonia/nitrite are all at 0.00, my calcium/mag/alk are LOW. Like 350, 1000, and 7 respectively. (It is being fixed, don't worry. Tried to let my mother take the reins for a bit, which wasn't a good idea...) But, my Rastas are loving the low levels. Like a 4 polyp frag is now a 8-10 polyp colony with new buds, and I have only had it 3 weeks. All of my other zoas are looking good, but growth has slowed/stopped on everyone else, understandably. I really love the armageddons, so I really hope they take off like the rastas!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 3 levels were all low, so the balance wasn't affecting the zoas.
It would affect hard corals and coralline algae though.
To bring them up slowly would be the best thing, if you want keep hard corals happy.
They can actually survive long time like that. I found that zoas just don't like drastic changes and high numbers...
If numbers are brought up slowly they will take it!
Sorry, I don't know about those specific species of zoanthids.
Let's wait and see others with their suggestions..
Grandis.

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I am bringing levels up slowly until everything is back in check, going by Red Sea's suggested amounts. My tank only has the zoas, bubble tip nems, a leather, and a frogspawn. I've held off on buying any difficult corals until everything is in check.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I am bringing levels up slowly until everything is back in check, going by Red Sea's suggested amounts. My tank only has the zoas, bubble tip nems, a leather, and a frogspawn. I've held off on buying any difficult corals until everything is in check.
Make sure you've got good lights for the anemone. It likes good intensity. Good intensity isn't intensity too strong!!!
They looooove metal halides...
Bring up the levels slowly, yes...
Main thing is to learn how to keep it stable too. then you'll be successful!
Grandis.

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nems have been under T5s since I got the first one 4 years ago :) My system has always ran a bit low, but when my mother stopped dosing it just plummeted. I prefer the old school way of doing everything by hand, like top off, testing and dosing. But I'm finally switching over to a dosing pump for the time being to keep it as stable as possible until it's all good again.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap, I like the old style too!! Your T5s will obviously give those nems all they need!!!
What bulbs do you have? What fixture? How deep and gallonage of the system?
I found the BRS dosing pumps to be heavy duty and they've lasted all the time I've got them. Working great!
Now I've got a pump for my kalk reactor. The rest is manually, after testing. I don't have hard corals, so it's much less than many reef systems.
Grandis.

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the brs pump on the way :) The tank is 21 inches deep, 5 ft long, 110 gallons. My lights are the AquaticLife 4bulb T5 HOs. My first nem was with me back when I jad my biocube 29, and was under their stock lights. Surprisingly, he was really happy in there too! I've never had much luck with the greens, albeit the two I tried had open mouths when purchased. But my rainbows and rose are the hardiest thing I have ever owned! Even survived a 3 day power outage with no heater or lights.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the brs pump on the way :) The tank is 21 inches deep, 5 ft long, 110 gallons. My lights are the AquaticLife 4bulb T5 HOs. My first nem was with me back when I jad my biocube 29, and was under their stock lights. Surprisingly, he was really happy in there too! I've never had much luck with the greens, albeit the two I tried had open mouths when purchased. But my rainbows and rose are the hardiest thing I have ever owned! Even survived a 3 day power outage with no heater or lights.
What bulbs in the fixture?
Aquatic Life bulbs? Actinic and 10.000K?
Grandis.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back