Ratios for Dosing Copper Power

jbeanz24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have the following 3 fish in my QT banana wrasse , male lyre tail anthias and a mcoskers flasher wrasse. I reached 1.77 ppm over a five day period. Am I safe to stay at that level for prophylactic treatment of ich and velvet. I am asking because I saw that humblefish his/her treatment updated his range. I want to make sure the copper is effective where I currently stand.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have the following 3 fish in my QT banana wrasse , male lyre tail anthias and a mcoskers flasher wrasse. I reached 1.77 ppm over a five day period. Am I safe to stay at that level for prophylactic treatment of ich and velvet. I am asking because I saw that humblefish his/her treatment updated his range. I want to make sure the copper is effective where I currently stand.
2.00-2.25ppm is where Humble & team are saying to get to now. Keep in mind that the company who makes Copper Power even says 2.50ppm. That said, I'd bump up to over 2.00ppm personally. Copper Power is pretty easy on the fish.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a second set of eyes on my math please :) Using Copper Power.

My QT has approx 27gallons of water. I'm looking to get it to 2.0 PPM over the course of 5 days, splitting the dose between morning and evening.

My math -

27g x 1.18ml = 31.86ml of Copper Power to reach 2.0 PPM
6.372ml per day for 5 days
::3.186ml am & pm for 5 days

Does this look accurate? I'm planning on doing TTM after 14 days @2 PPM so no WC are planned. Are daily top-offs with RO water ok, or do I need put an ATO on and keep it more consistent? Does copper evaporate as the SW evaporates; i.e. do I need to add copper power to the incoming FW?

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a second set of eyes on my math please :) Using Copper Power.

My QT has approx 27gallons of water. I'm looking to get it to 2.0 PPM over the course of 5 days, splitting the dose between morning and evening.

My math -

27g x 1.18ml = 31.86ml of Copper Power to reach 2.0 PPM
6.372ml per day for 5 days
::3.186ml am & pm for 5 days

Does this look accurate? I'm planning on doing TTM after 14 days @2 PPM so no WC are planned. Are daily top-offs with RO water ok, or do I need put an ATO on and keep it more consistent? Does copper evaporate as the SW evaporates; i.e. do I need to add copper power to the incoming FW?
Your math is correct assuming your copper power concentrate is as-stated on the bottle. As me and at least one other has noted lately, our product was about 20% less strength. Hence why it is very important to use a Hanna HR Copper Checker throughout the process.

I add RO every couple/few days to my QT, doesn't seem to impact much with the evaporation during that period. If you do use an ATO, make sure that gets changed out with a clean float/etc. when you do your 14-day TTM.

Copper does not evaporate, but some people note it declining slightly over time. Another good reason to get a Hanna checker until you get a good feeling as to what is normal in your conditions.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have issues with cirrhilabrus wrasses and copper power? i ramped up to 2.0 on saturday, tonight the wrasse was just hiding and not eating. and just now found him not moving on his side

edit: nevermind, fish died

Last edited:

jbeanz24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that have QT'd wrasses how long have you kept them in copper power ? I currently have a banana wrasse and mcoskers flasher in QT I reached 2.0 ppm on 10/21 and I'm wondering how long I should keep them in here. So far they are both eating and swimming fine.

jay06705

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I've been looking for something like this for a while now.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
For those of you that have QT'd wrasses how long have you kept them in copper power ? I currently have a banana wrasse and mcoskers flasher in QT I reached 2.0 ppm on 10/21 and I'm wondering how long I should keep them in here. So far they are both eating and swimming fine.
I've always done 28 to 30 days.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Copper Power Blue in the near future I will use my new HI702 so this is not a huge issue, but what gives ? vvv

@Humblefish @HotRocks
I've noticed the Endich website info states CopperII @ 0.5%, yet the bottles I purchased state Copper Sulfate @ 1.26%
I'm aware CopperII is Copper Sulfate.

Do you guys have an explanation for the discrepancy in percentages?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just want to confirm, after reaching the desired therapeutic value, copper dosing STOPS unless a water change occurs or values decline?
Yes, that's why you need to keep testing, to make sure it stays at your set range.

Reef Monster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could cause absorption? On my last QT, my copper went down significantly from 2 to like 1.6 (Hanna checker) and I hadn’t done a water change. Filtration is a Aquaclear HOB with 2 sponge filters in it.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What could cause absorption? On my last QT, my copper went down significantly from 2 to like 1.6 (Hanna checker) and I hadn’t done a water change. Filtration is a Aquaclear HOB with 2 sponge filters in it.
sponge

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Advice on testing frequency? I have the Hanna checker and my LFS has the reagent for like $7 so I don’t mine testing everyday if necessary. Is everyday too much,not enough, or just right?
If I see any movement, I test everyday. If I have to add copper, then maybe twice a day.

E13MentX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone's experience with dosing copper power to 2.0 ppm as humble fish newly suggested dosage with wrasses. I have been qting 2 flasher wrasses for 2 weeks after a very slow ramp to 2.0 ppm (took about a week) the wrasses didn't make. Wondering if other people have same experience.

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My McCosker along with a tailspot blenny made it through 2.0 copper power without a problem

reefin_with_the_fam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone's experience with dosing copper power to 2.0 ppm as humble fish newly suggested dosage with wrasses. I have been qting 2 flasher wrasses for 2 weeks after a very slow ramp to 2.0 ppm (took about a week) the wrasses didn't make. Wondering if other people have same experience.
I put a sixline through it, 6 day ramp, 2 weeks treatment, and I am currently putting a pintail fairy through the same right now. The sixline is doing awesome and the pintail is on a 5 day ramp (day 4) and is doing great. I can update once the pintail clears.

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you QT for? I lost a McCosker and a diamond tail just recently after 2 weeks
I had them at therapeutic level of copper for two week feeding them general cure and focus. Then transferred to clean qt for another two weeks and. Dosed the water column twice with general cure. I took 4-5 days to get the copper a little above 2.0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back