Ratios for Dosing Copper Power

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who have used copper power, does the bottle some with a seal? Ordered a bottle online but no seal and most medications I have used are sealed, so just wondering if it was supposed to be sealed or if this normal.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who have used copper power, does the bottle some with a seal? Ordered a bottle online but no seal and most medications I have used are sealed, so just wondering if it was supposed to be sealed or if this normal.
I bought my bottle about a year ago and if I remember correctly I think it didn't have a seal.

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey every this is an amazing thread.

I had a question i think im dealing with absorption issues with copper...

I have a 40 gallon QT (filled all the way) w\ an Aquaclear 70 filter. I estimate 41-42 gallons.

Ove the past 3 days... I have doesed 50 mls

3/11 26 mls = test @ .88
3/12 6 mls = 1.06
3/13 18 mls = 1.54 *** wanted to get to theruptic to possibly save NASO......

Based on the 1.04mls per gallon to get to 1.75 ive overshot big time. I just dont want the copper to leach out and kill

i have regal angel, scribbled angel, copperband and blonde naso in the QT

@HotRocks @Humblefish

thanks

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman that I got from vivid aquariums. Trying my hand at this QT stuff. Dosed initial water to approximately 1.0. Added 1ml on Thursday and Friday. Tested now, 1.28, so 1ml raised the CU level in my 10g QT by .15. Just dosed 2ml and in theory, I should be over 1.5.

so if the 2ml bumps me up .28-.3, then I have my dosing andby Monday I should be therapeutic over 2 and start my 30 day clock.

but I also need to do a water change of 2 gallons. So I need to figure that out for 2.1ppm.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently been getting a few requests for how to adjust dosing with all of my research on the hanna checker and copper power being used together. Figured I would throw this up as a point of reference.

For anyone using Copper Power:

Bottle concentration will bring you to a Cu level of 2.5ppm if dosed as instructed. Although it is not always necessary to dose your QT with a level that high. Copper power is considered therapeutic at a Cu Level of 1.5ppm. 1.5ppm is the MINIMUM. I personally have been using Copper Power at a level of 1.75ppm using the hanna checker to make sure I maintain a level safely above the Minimum.

UPDATE: DUE TO SOME ISSUES, I am now treating in the 2.0ppm-2.25ppm Range

You can see @Humblefish's communication with Endich, the manufacturer of Copper Power in the thread below, verifying the minimum level of 1.5ppm

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chelated-copper-is-chelated-copper.373513/

To figure out how to adjust the dosages follow these easy steps;

Total gallons x 1.475ml = Total ml to reach 2.5ppm
Now Take 2.5ppm / Total ml = PPM per ML Dosed
Now take desired target / PPM per ML Dosed = Total ml needed to reach desired target

For Example my QT is a 40b. Subtract displacement Add HOB filter volume. I have exactly 40 gallons of water to treat.

40gal x 1.475ml=59ml
2.5ppm / 59ml= .042ppm per ml dosed
1.75ppm / .042ppm = 41.7ml Total

I called it 42ml total. Ramped up over 7 days (6ml per day split into 2 doses, 3ml in am/3ml in pm)
You can then take the total ml needed for your volume and split it into whatever dosing schedule or "ramp up" you desire.

Edit: I should have mentioned in my original post if you are using the Hanna checker to test you can do so after each dose, or every other dose and figure out exactly how many ppm you should be increasing using the above ^^^ equation. This will also indicate if you are encountering any absorption.

Here are also some simple guidelines if you don't want to do the math above or are using visual test methods.
This is a little less accurate than above (Just trying to keep from going out 10 decimal points), but will get you darn close.
1.48ml per gallon = 2.5ppm
1.33ml per gallon = 2.25ppm
1.18ml per gallon = 2.0ppm
1.04ml per gallon = 1.75ppm
.89ml per gallon = 1.5ppm

No matter which formula you use above, make sure to take the following into consideration.
*This only works if you aren't encountering any absorption.
*You also need to measure the volume of water in QT, for example don't just assume a 20 gallon tank to hold exactly 20 gallons (You have to consider displacement and what level you are filling the tank to, also volume of HOB if you use one.).
*MAKE SURE TO TEST FREQUENTLY
*If you see signs of velvet it is not recommended to use the 5-7 day ramp up period, you would want to reach at least 1.5ppm within 48 hours.

API, Hach, Chemetrics, and Hanna are all suitable test methods for copper power.
A bottle of copper power I just received states, "contains 1.26% copper sulfate." Do we know if this product is simply copper (II) sulfate and purified water? Anything else added? Google indicates it's likely copper II (Cu +2) in terms of the ionic form of copper.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bottle of copper power I just received states, "contains 1.26% copper sulfate." Do we know if this product is simply copper (II) sulfate and purified water? Anything else added? Google indicates it's likely copper II (Cu +2) in terms of the ionic form of copper.
We have tried to obtain it from Endich but it’s proprietary. There has to be some sort of chelation agent as well...

ShanesClowns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently been getting a few requests for how to adjust dosing with all of my research on the hanna checker and copper power being used together. Figured I would throw this up as a point of reference.

For anyone using Copper Power:

Bottle concentration will bring you to a Cu level of 2.5ppm if dosed as instructed. Although it is not always necessary to dose your QT with a level that high. Copper power is considered therapeutic at a Cu Level of 1.5ppm. 1.5ppm is the MINIMUM. I personally have been using Copper Power at a level of 1.75ppm using the hanna checker to make sure I maintain a level safely above the Minimum.

UPDATE: DUE TO SOME ISSUES, I am now treating in the 2.0ppm-2.25ppm Range

You can see @Humblefish's communication with Endich, the manufacturer of Copper Power in the thread below, verifying the minimum level of 1.5ppm

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chelated-copper-is-chelated-copper.373513/

To figure out how to adjust the dosages follow these easy steps;

Total gallons x 1.475ml = Total ml to reach 2.5ppm
Now Take 2.5ppm / Total ml = PPM per ML Dosed
Now take desired target / PPM per ML Dosed = Total ml needed to reach desired target

For Example my QT is a 40b. Subtract displacement Add HOB filter volume. I have exactly 40 gallons of water to treat.

40gal x 1.475ml=59ml
2.5ppm / 59ml= .042ppm per ml dosed
1.75ppm / .042ppm = 41.7ml Total

I called it 42ml total. Ramped up over 7 days (6ml per day split into 2 doses, 3ml in am/3ml in pm)
You can then take the total ml needed for your volume and split it into whatever dosing schedule or "ramp up" you desire.

Edit: I should have mentioned in my original post if you are using the Hanna checker to test you can do so after each dose, or every other dose and figure out exactly how many ppm you should be increasing using the above ^^^ equation. This will also indicate if you are encountering any absorption.

Here are also some simple guidelines if you don't want to do the math above or are using visual test methods.
This is a little less accurate than above (Just trying to keep from going out 10 decimal points), but will get you darn close.
1.48ml per gallon = 2.5ppm
1.33ml per gallon = 2.25ppm
1.18ml per gallon = 2.0ppm
1.04ml per gallon = 1.75ppm
.89ml per gallon = 1.5ppm

No matter which formula you use above, make sure to take the following into consideration.
*This only works if you aren't encountering any absorption.
*You also need to measure the volume of water in QT, for example don't just assume a 20 gallon tank to hold exactly 20 gallons (You have to consider displacement and what level you are filling the tank to, also volume of HOB if you use one.).
*MAKE SURE TO TEST FREQUENTLY
*If you see signs of velvet it is not recommended to use the 5-7 day ramp up period, you would want to reach at least 1.5ppm within 48 hours.

API, Hach, Chemetrics, and Hanna are all suitable test methods for copper power.
Thanks for your info and time in this hobby, I use started using copper power and I lost 2 clowns in the process, the issue was with a QT tank I had a ammonia spike so I did a WC, it dropped my copper level from 1.9 to 1.1 , so I dosed to get it back to 1.9, the next day I lost the fish, what did I do wrong??

I have another QT up and running with a healthy clown that I want to medicate for prevention but I am afraid I might kill it..

Any suggestions?

Can I do the general cure and prazi and copper power please advise and thank you so much in advance.

I have about 20 clowns I am going to run thru this in the next year just want to get it right.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your info and time in this hobby, I use started using copper power and I lost 2 clowns in the process, the issue was with a QT tank I had a ammonia spike so I did a WC, it dropped my copper level from 1.9 to 1.1 , so I dosed to get it back to 1.9, the next day I lost the fish, what did I do wrong??

I have another QT up and running with a healthy clown that I want to medicate for prevention but I am afraid I might kill it..

Any suggestions?

Can I do the general cure and prazi and copper power please advise and thank you so much in advance.

I have about 20 clowns I am going to run thru this in the next year just want to get it right.
If you had an ammonia spike that is likely the culprit. The ammonia damage could have occurred prior and coincidentally the fish died when you increased the copper.

Prazipro and GC both contain praziquantel so you would not want to use them at the same time. You would end up with a concentration of praziquantel that is too high.

ShanesClowns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok but as
If you had an ammonia spike that is likely the culprit. The ammonia damage could have occurred prior and coincidentally the fish died when you increased the copper.

Prazipro and GC both contain praziquantel so you would not want to use them at the same time. You would end up with a concentration of praziquantel that is too high.
as soon as i detected ammonia I changed the water in the QT, is the proper procedure after a water change to bring the copper back up , or slowly ramp it up again.

If I have a fish in QT with no signs and is eating good , should I even bother with a copper treatment?

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is how I go about water changes while using copper. Have another tank/bucket or container of freshly made salt water ready and add enough copper to it to get it to the level that matches your qt. Now whenever you need to do water change you have the right concentration ready. Use a little of it daily for small water changes or all of it for a major water change. Doesn’t matter, your copper concentration remains constant this way and you are always ready and prepared.

Underwater Passion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of angels? I have treated most of the common to the hobby angels. Have a passer, goldflake, and scribbled in 2.25ppm copper power as we speak.
I’m tagging along here. I’m looking to treat my flame angel. My entire tank broke out in what I thought was velvet but could be ick thanks to a powder blue tang I added without quarantining (Yes, I learned my lesson) . Either way moved everyone out to a 55 gallon hospital tank and my flame angel to a 29 gallon hospital tank. How do I treat her for ick/velvet. She’s eating fine and honestly I don’t see any spots on her but want to treat while I let my DT fallow for 8 weeks.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tagging along here. I’m looking to treat my flame angel. My entire tank broke out in what I thought was velvet but could be ick thanks to a powder blue tang I added without quarantining (Yes, I learned my lesson) . Either way moved everyone out to a 55 gallon hospital tank and my flame angel to a 29 gallon hospital tank. How do I treat her for ick/velvet. She’s eating fine and honestly I don’t see any spots on her but want to treat while I let my DT fallow for 8 weeks.
Personally if they were in a tank with a known velvet or ich affliction I would treat them. There is a good chance that the fish is still harboring the parasite and the fish's immune system is fighting it off. So it could infect other fish if added back post fallow without treatment.

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I actually checked @HotRocks dosing formula and tried to come up with my own so I can go for a "simpler" formula for dosing (and a "higher precision" to get to two decimal places) Can anyone help me verify this:
Let us have the following variables:
k - constant
v - volume of tank water (in gallons)
p - copper level (in ppm)
d - dose of copper power (in mL)

So our goal is to find the constant k, so that we can simply plug in the volume and our desired copper level and we will know the total dosage of copper power to the tank. The instruction says to dose 1 fl.oz. of copper power in 20 gallons of water to achieve 2.5ppm of copper. I checked Google and the conversion of 1 fl.oz. to mL is at 1 fl. oz. = 29.5735 mL. So plugging it in our equation we get,

1593019097546.png

Then I cross checked it with HotRocks' computation and I get some slight deviances,
(HotRocks formula vs. my formula, assume 45 gallons)
@2.5ppm it is 66.6 mL vs. 66.54 mL
@2.25ppm it is 59.85 mL vs. 59.89 mL
@2.0ppm it is 53.1 mL vs. 53.23 mL
@1.75ppm it is 46.8 mL vs. 46.58 mL
@1.5ppm it is 40.05 mL vs. 39.92

Not sure if the zero point something would matter. Any thoughts?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic math. ;) . . . but we've seen a bit of concerns regards the strength of Copper Power apparently varying a bit from batch to batch.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back