Ratios for Dosing Copper Power

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic math. ;) . . . but we've seen a bit of concerns regards the strength of Copper Power apparently varying a bit from batch to batch.

Yes, I've heard. That's why testing matters!

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to treat my fish for ich. How often are you suppose to do a water change and how much do you change out each time?

Borg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say I do a water change..
My Hanna checker reads .75 from 2.0.

Is their a calculation I can use to figure out how much ml I need to get it in range.

I have a 180 gallon tank with trigger system 39 sump

Thanks

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the OP, we are warned to consider absorption. What is this referring to, a loss of Copper due to absorption by media and other items in the tank?

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the OP, we are warned to consider absorption. What is this referring to, a loss of Copper due to absorption by media and other items in the tank?
Yes. Humble fish showed that coarse aragonite sand and sea chem “matrix” media does not absorb a measurable amount of copper.
However testing daily is best practice

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Humble fish showed that coarse aragonite sand and sea chem “matrix” media does not absorb a measurable amount of copper.
However testing daily is best practice
I'm calculating I need a total of 19.77mL of Copper Power for my 16.75g of tank/HOB volume. Plan on splitting it up over 7 days so 2.82mL/day (1.41mL split twice a day). Can these small doses be dosed directly into the QT tank? Or does it need to be diluted in top off or premix?

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm calculating I need a total of 19.77mL of Copper Power for my 16.75g of tank/HOB volume. Plan on splitting it up over 7 days so 2.82mL/day (1.41mL split twice a day). Can these small doses be dosed directly into the QT tank? Or does it need to be diluted in top off or premix?
That’s exactly how I do it. I do it a bit faster. , 3-4 days but yeah should be good to go. Just make sure to test daily!

Johnjman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently been getting a few requests for how to adjust dosing with all of my research on the hanna checker and copper power being used together. Figured I would throw this up as a point of reference.

For anyone using Copper Power:

Bottle concentration will bring you to a Cu level of 2.5ppm if dosed as instructed. Although it is not always necessary to dose your QT with a level that high. Copper power is considered therapeutic at a Cu Level of 1.5ppm. 1.5ppm is the MINIMUM. I personally have been using Copper Power at a level of 1.75ppm using the hanna checker to make sure I maintain a level safely above the Minimum.

UPDATE: DUE TO SOME ISSUES, I am now treating in the 2.0ppm-2.25ppm Range

You can see @Humblefish's communication with Endich, the manufacturer of Copper Power in the thread below, verifying the minimum level of 1.5ppm

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chelated-copper-is-chelated-copper.373513/

To figure out how to adjust the dosages follow these easy steps;

Total gallons x 1.475ml = Total ml to reach 2.5ppm
Now Take 2.5ppm / Total ml = PPM per ML Dosed
Now take desired target / PPM per ML Dosed = Total ml needed to reach desired target

For Example my QT is a 40b. Subtract displacement Add HOB filter volume. I have exactly 40 gallons of water to treat.

40gal x 1.475ml=59ml
2.5ppm / 59ml= .042ppm per ml dosed
1.75ppm / .042ppm = 41.7ml Total

I called it 42ml total. Ramped up over 7 days (6ml per day split into 2 doses, 3ml in am/3ml in pm)
You can then take the total ml needed for your volume and split it into whatever dosing schedule or "ramp up" you desire.

Edit: I should have mentioned in my original post if you are using the Hanna checker to test you can do so after each dose, or every other dose and figure out exactly how many ppm you should be increasing using the above ^^^ equation. This will also indicate if you are encountering any absorption.

Here are also some simple guidelines if you don't want to do the math above or are using visual test methods.
This is a little less accurate than above (Just trying to keep from going out 10 decimal points), but will get you darn close.
1.48ml per gallon = 2.5ppm
1.33ml per gallon = 2.25ppm
1.18ml per gallon = 2.0ppm
1.04ml per gallon = 1.75ppm
.89ml per gallon = 1.5ppm

No matter which formula you use above, make sure to take the following into consideration.
*This only works if you aren't encountering any absorption.
*You also need to measure the volume of water in QT, for example don't just assume a 20 gallon tank to hold exactly 20 gallons (You have to consider displacement and what level you are filling the tank to, also volume of HOB if you use one.).
*MAKE SURE TO TEST FREQUENTLY
*If you see signs of velvet it is not recommended to use the 5-7 day ramp up period, you would want to reach at least 1.5ppm within 48 hours.

API, Hach, Chemetrics, and Hanna are all suitable test methods for copper power.
Thank you for the great write up. Curious what were the issues that caused you to raise the ppm to 2.25-2.50?

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the great write up. Curious what were the issues that caused you to raise the ppm to 2.25-2.50?
Probably related to this:

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This evening I dosed the final small Cu dose to get up to the final 2.25ppm level I was aiming for and recommend in this thread. I just checked on him before bed and he was very lathargic, kind of just floating down near the bottom of the tank. Didn't seem like he was breathing to hard or anything, but, not what I expected of him seeing as he's been very active and eating the last several days right up to this last small dose. He did swim around a little when I turned the light on, but, went back to floating in the same spot by the heater. Is this indicative of intolerance to the Cu? Or something else?

Hopefully he makes it through the night. If he's still acting like this in the morning, should I consider a WC to bring down Cu levels and see if he starts acting "normal" again?

20200907_221252.jpg

Eyesac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff! This is my reading after dosing 5.9 ml of Copper Power to my 10 gallon QT to get to 1.0. The plan is to get to 2.0 and start the 30 day clock for my two new clowns. This is my first go around with saltwater and the forum has been a blessing!

I am running a Aquaclear 20 with a sponge and bio-media, a sponge filter and a micro return pump with some half inch inner diameter silicone hose with a return nozzle at the surface. I had the pump here for another purpose but never used the pump. I figured since I had the items I'd use them for flow and surface agitation / gas exchange.

16033762921292862761800428398249.jpg

nkarisny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i bring down the dosing w ten gallons for clowns i have three clowns

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So I’m at 2.5 ppm copper power for 30 days.

When i transfer to sterile tank, what can I clean my sponge filters with so I can reuse them in my display?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back