powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Raxnar Thanks for the full tank shot. Now how about a picture of the cabinet with all the equipment?

I see you're using AquaForest products? How about the probiotic salt and zeolites? Once my sps are through their growth stage I will look into AquaForest probiotic method.

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Raxnar Thanks for the full tank shot. Now how about a picture of the cabinet with all the equipment?

I see you're using AquaForest products? How about the probiotic salt and zeolites? Once my sps are through their growth stage I will look into AquaForest probiotic method.

I'll post an updated sump/equipment picture soon™.

My SPS Corals have been struggling quite a bit. Tank is pretty stable, but yet I've had several sps die. Possibly light related, PAR meter shows strong light where they are living. I've tried numerous light programs for the Hydra 26's and the tank looks great under them. Just not sure. I am looking at getting the AI Hybrid fixture once they release the new model.

My Zoa's, duncan's and Nem's are doing fantastic. One Nem has even split twice.

Do the Aqua Forest Products work? I would like to say emphatically yes but since I've been loosing my SPS' and even some LPS I'm not sure. I've lost 3 heads of Frogspawn, 3 Candy cane's lately.

I did do a Prazi Pro treatment last summer as I wasn't able to capture a fish who I thought had worms. I didn't want to tear apart all the rock work so took a chance. This may have likely damaged my corals and they have been unable to recover.

I know my tank is just over a year old and I am new to Salt water tanks (had fresh before) and it is a learning experience.

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 Here are the Tank/Sump and 2 Side Cabinets.

As you can see I am prepping water for a water change :) So its a bit of a mess lol.

Just finished up a Chemi Clean treatment to rid the tank of Cyano. Stuff works amazing!

I also have my stuff out to setup my refugium with the Blue Tide Acrylics kit that should fit nicely in the sump, using the outflow from the filter cup area to move the water. May add a small power head below the cups to stir a few times a day.

Water is a bit hazy at due to Chemi Clean treatment and running no skimmer cup.

Bunch of new corals arriving next week including a rock flower Nem! Hopefully my coral wows are turning a corner.
TandandSump.jpeg

Tanksidecabinet.jpeg

Tanksidecabinet2.jpeg

That's it for now!

Happy Reefing

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a Long time since I posted an update.

Firstly a FTS to have a peak.
FTS-Jan12-2020-Orange Filter.jpeg

Using the Orange filter for this, looks pretty good.

Lots hasn't happened and lots of direction changes since the last update.

Still Dosing AF products but every other day vs every day.

As you can see I am battling some Algae, yes it is byropsis... I have Fluconazole on its way to deal with it. For now I pluck it weekly and its keeping it at bay somewhat.

You'll notice a few new family members.
1- very small Yellow tang, Our LFS finally was able to get in some very young ones! She'll need re-homing one day, or perhaps I'll have a bigger tank by then but she is doing great!
1 - Tomini Tang, you can't see her in this pic as she is hiding. She is fairly shy.
1 - Was able to snag a rare Purple Firefish! stuning
2 - 2 "regular" firefish as well.
2 - new as of 2 days ago beautiful orange Anthias.
2 - New Fungi Coral that doing great.
1 - New 4 polyp acan, doing well.

As you can see our other residents are doing good.
2 snowflake clowns who ignore our nems...
2 Cardinals
2 Azure Damsels
3 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Ornate Leopard Wrasse who is 2 years old this month!
2 Fighting Conch snails
assorted hermit crabs and 2 small green emerald crabs.
1 Lawnmower blenny
2 Fire Shrimp
2 Cleaner Shirp
2 Peppermint shrimp which we rarely see

I have ordered the V2 Aquatic Life Hybrid light fixture to augment my Hydra 26's. I've tried dozens of programs and just cannot keep SPS corals no matter what I try... a Friend who has a Reefer 170 and the same LED's also struggled until he got his V1 Aquatic Life Hybrid fixture and now SPS are thriving.

That's it for now.

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped by to see how you fit that ATK in there. Thanks! nice tank, I just started my 250 build

I just use the magnet the Neptune ATK came with and then use some filter block foam under the smaller side in the baffle slot between the return chamber and the main chamber of the refugium. That's just to help prevent the ATK module from slipping.

You likely have the re-designed sump if you just purchased a new Reefer 250. I have not seen these new sumps in close up detail but I'm sure it would be easy.

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big Day!

The AI T5 Hybrid V2 Fixture is now alive!

Have it running at 50% as well as the LED's in Acclimation mode for a few days.
T5-Mounted.jpeg

Just showing after we finished getting it mounted and leveled.

T5-a.jpeg

Here we are up and running. You can see the reflection of the den window even with the blinds closed completely.

Really like how the 4x4 Cedar beams turned out as well. The cantilever mounting system is wonderful!

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been far too long since I've posted. Partly because I've had to sadly slightly neglect my tank while dealing with a herniated L5 disc....

Doing better now so I've been getting back on track.

Tank 2.jpeg

We recently added a yellow Headed Sleeper Goby and he has been working his tail off cleaning the sand. We once again have clean white sand after having a lot of algae build up despite crabs and snails. Very happy but he does make a mess in some areas...

I've been struggling with SPS staying alive in our tank. I cannot figure it out.

This is our lighting schedule.
lighting schedule.jpg

Hybrid T5 and AI Hydra 26 x 2.

Parameters are pretty good.
alk - 8-8.5
Phos - normally .05 ish, had a spike so doing a water change today, spiked to .16 since we got the goby, perhaps stirring up the sand?
Calc - 350-400
Mag - 1300-1400
Temp 25.6C
PH - 7.5 to 8.2
no ammonia
Nitrates/nitrates only trace amounts.

Soft Corals seem to thrive for the most part but I've also struggled with keeping duncans which are supposed to be fairly hardy.

Tanks just passed 2 years now and it has had its ups and downs.

Here's a pic of a coral I got recently, Pink Cadillac, My back was bad that day so didn't try and get another one.
PinkCadi day 1.jpeg

My hand wasn't super steady but it had tons of colour.

Here's now a short video clip of the new coral I got today, name escapes me. It is sliming after acclimating. The particulate is from the water change before introducing the coral.

At the end you can see the pink Cadillac but I think it might be done for.

Would a phosphate swing as I noted kill a SPS?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back