OP
OP
DaveRaz

DaveRaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Dados on the 1" outer frame so the panel fits inside. Basically just like a cabinet door. Just on a larger scale. I joined Half inch thick cherry stock together to get the width. Routered 1/2" x 11/16" deep. Should get finish on them soon.

OP
OP
DaveRaz

DaveRaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9296.PNG

OP
OP
DaveRaz

DaveRaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9387.JPG
Finally got the panels on straight. Had to add a dowel to mate them to the stand as the magnets had too much movement to keep the tolerances tight enough.

Here's my temporary light solution until I can add the 8x54 T5s from the 90 gallon reef. When I do the transfer I will be running 16 bulbs, 8 of which are 24" and an led strip. ~665 watts.

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that panel looks great and the aquascaping is really elegant. How is the Shadow running? I am looking into getting one, but the one complaint I have read a few times is that it is fairly loud and doesn't give nearly the flow promised.

OP
OP
DaveRaz

DaveRaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you dbg! I like how the panel turned out and it fits the stand nicely and pops right off with ease.

I wanted a lot of surface area for coral growout. Instead of packing it completely full I am going to pick my favoriate acros and let grow into large colonies. I have some decisions to make as I have around 60 packed in this small 90 gallons. I also want to try some lps down low and place a rbta on the right structure somewhere.

The overflow is loud. You're able to tweak the syphon gate valve to reduce the sound but the install directions are incorrect for a bean animal. It took some tweaking but I found the sweet spot. However it is loud from water going into the overflow box itself. Any surface movement and it gets louder. And I prefer a lot of surface agitation. This tank is in a adjoining room from where we gather so not a big deal but I would go crazy otherwise. I can't seem to quiet it down where the water falls into the box.

As far as flow it's handling ~950 gal/hr right now but that will be reduced a bit after installing the chiller and Neptune FMM. The water level on the baffles is surprisingly high pumping close to 1000gal/hr. I couldn't imagine 1500gal/hr going through there as rated. The water level would be pretty high in the tank. In all, I agree with both of your findings above.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love it!

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome - can't wait to see what you decide to put in there! As far as the noise going into the overflow, I read that some people are using a coarse mesh in the back box of the overflow to dampen down that sound; but, you probably already knew that... I haven't got any other suggestions! Even though the noise level is a bummer, it still looks great from where I can see it lol

I have never heard of using a flow monitoring kit before, albeit I am fairly new to the hobby. Besides the obvious reason of monitoring flow up to the display, what benefits does this type of monitoring provide you with?

Mo-sachi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going really great nice workmanship. I really like the front panel. If I may, I would like to suggest installing some kind of mesh material to the skimmer air intake line sitting outside to prevent critters from coming in and clogging it. Just a suggestion. Keep up the great work.

OP
OP
DaveRaz

DaveRaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome - can't wait to see what you decide to put in there! As far as the noise going into the overflow, I read that some people are using a coarse mesh in the back box of the overflow to dampen down that sound; but, you probably already knew that... I haven't got any other suggestions! Even though the noise level is a bummer, it still looks great from where I can see it lol

I have never heard of using a flow monitoring kit before, albeit I am fairly new to the hobby. Besides the obvious reason of monitoring flow up to the display, what benefits does this type of monitoring provide you with?

The overflow is just a shadow, no doubt. I like it hidden up there. I'm not comfortable putting anything in there to reduce the noise. Just something else to worry about. I plan to install the FMK inline to my UV to help dial it in around 180 gal/hr, one on the return to monitor and alert me of any issues outside of my alert set point and perhaps the last monitor of my manifold. I'm only using one pump for the return and everything else. Aside from being able to monitor flow I am installing a solenoid for the rodi ATO from the garage and a optical sensor as a back up to the solenoid. Redundancy helps me sleep at night. Lol

This is going really great nice workmanship. I really like the front panel. If I may, I would like to suggest installing some kind of mesh material to the skimmer air intake line sitting outside to prevent critters from coming in and clogging it. Just a suggestion. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Mo! That's a great suggestion. I will do that asap.

OP
OP
DaveRaz

DaveRaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9432.JPG
IMG_9431.JPG
Moved over some test frags tonight. Day 28 since I added water, 9 days since it cycled. First cycle of diatoms have come and gone but they are picking back up again.

First two fish in last sat was a new gold stripe Maroon ( to pair with my larger one) and Christmas a wrasse from 90 gallon tank. Been moving a few snails over.

I went overboard soaking this rock in muriatic acid. Ended up dissolving around 30lbs. I'm pleased with the end result though as the rock has nice large holes and exteremy porous. I wouldn't do it again though..... it was an expensive lesson to learn. lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back