RBTA rarity

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys,

I’m new to reefing and just got a RBTA. It’s currently wandering the tank trying to find a home and I’m looking at adding some clowns for it. I was curious if anyone can give me specific info on this anemone and possible rarity or estimated cost. The shop had a price board and showed RBTA for $100 but this one was sold to me for $300 because of the rarity in color. I don’t have the best pictures but hopefully it’ll be enough. I did increase brightness on them to try and get the colors as best as I can. It seems like bluish center that leads to green base tentacles to rich reddish orange base. Also, what color lights do anemones prefer? I have red sea 90 that I can adjust blue and white lights. Any suggestion on the amount of each color? Thanks in advanced!

25BF76FB-D30B-4DFD-9760-93E99075E93F.jpeg AAE22EDC-51ED-4D71-95FF-C49A3E4B8C4C.jpeg D00343F8-872C-44FD-8869-B3345EE4D62C.jpeg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a simple rainbow bubble tip. Usually cost around $40-$100 . Exact reason I don’t buy from the lfs because they like to overcharge
I don’t have experience with that light so hopefully someone else chimes in

Last edited:

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the site.
the best advice i can offer a new reefer is to never impulse buy at your fish store. inexperience opens to making bad decisions, paying to much or getting into something that is destined to fail.
if you research ahead of time you will generally already know if it will work in your system, what its usually worth and how to take care of it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking online that light output seems weak for an anemone. It will probably keep wandering looking for enough light?

I don't understand why folk feel like you paid too much. If you like it, it was worth it. If you want to keep it I think you might need a better light source.

HTH.

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking online that light output seems weak for an anemone. It will probably keep wandering looking for enough light?

I don't understand why folk feel like you paid too much. If you like it, it was worth it. If you want to keep it I think you might need a better light source.

HTH.
Thanks for the advice guys. I went online and I see mixed prices. Some are in the $60 and others depending on there rating are going for 300 such as grade A on live aquaria. I did increase brightness on my lights from 50% to 100% and now he seems to be hiding in a cave. Is this do you too much light?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 70

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys. I went online and I see mixed prices. Some are in the $60 and others depending on there rating are going for 300 such as grade A on live aquaria. I did increase brightness on my lights from 50% to 100% and now he seems to be hiding in a cave. Is this do you too much light?
Anemones will hide at first sometimes while they acclimate to your tank. When its ready it will either move or stretch and get light. If you havent already, i recommend putting guards on your powerheads asap! They can get sucked in and shredded in no time!

Beautiful Nem you have there! You will enjoy watching him!

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones will hide at first sometimes while they acclimate to your tank. When its ready it will either move or stretch and get light. If you havent already, i recommend putting guards on your powerheads asap! They can get sucked in and shredded in no time!

Also, i run about 90% blues/uv and 30% whites. This photo is at the end of the light cycle at night, so whites are off.

Attachments

• anemone.jpg
    anemone.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It already got sucked in my gyre pump. I turned it off but forgot that I have a timer on them and it went back on. Luckily noticed it quickly and quickly disconnected it. No damage to the body or foot just some of the tentacles got shredded up. I have like a mesh snail guard that came with the pumps I’m just trying to figure out if it goes on the outside of the pump or on the inside of it. Red Sea 45 and it doesn’t specify in the instructions and haven’t been able to find out.

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It already got sucked in my gyre pump. I turned it off but forgot that I have a timer on them and it went back on. Luckily noticed it quickly and quickly disconnected it. No damage to the body or foot just some of the tentacles got shredded up. I have like a mesh snail guard that came with the pumps I’m just trying to figure out if it goes on the outside of the pump or on the inside of it. Red Sea 45 and it doesn’t specify in the instructions and haven’t been able to find out.
It should go on the outside i believe. I got some course filter foam and just cut a ring out of it and put it around my pump. Helps filter some left over food as well. Just have to remember to clean it during water changes

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1624476946055.png
They love light! This is 1/3rd of my largest nem tank, they get a lot of light in here.
Mostly blues and whites. They grow from about 110 par-350 par and even higher in some areas in this tank.
I have about 10-15 in a tank with very little light, and they do fine, but are not as nice looking.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s because it’s liveaquaria... prices can be a bit ridiculous there, but it’s getting common now with a lot of online stores.
thread is a bit old, kinda beating a dead horse here. Nevertheless, if op does come back please let others know the name of this store that blatantly ripped you off, they know what they are selling, they also know that they are paying less that $20 to get these anemones.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to sell mine for $50.00 before Covid hit, and had no takers. They are still available at that price, local pickup only 20646 Zip code

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh to me it looks a little sick anenomes should be that color... btw there's someone in NJ selling RBTA for 25$ on the marketplace right now. Sorry if I'm rubbing salt in the wounds next time look on here first I've made the same mistake countless times.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back