RBTA shedding tentacles

Ramses0314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my Sherman Rose bta began shrinking and acting strange. It’s been in my tank for over a month. But around a 6 days ago it began deflating and not expanding fully. 2 days ago , my tank got all cloudy and I think they were spawning since some of my other 4 btas (5 total) had their mouth swollen. I turned on the protein skimmer and water cleared the next day and everyone, except the Sherman, were back to normal. Only one anemone has moved so far, but it wasn’t my Sherman. It had stayed in the same spot it has been since I first Added, but it’s tentacle look weird. I found one small tentacle the color of the anemone near it and all the other tentacles look small as well. I don’t know what’s happening to it. The two pictures are when it’s inflated to about the same size, just different tentacles. What’s going on? Is it shedding its tentacles? Why would it do that? None of my other nems are behaving like this (2 rainbow btas, 1 light green with pink tips and 1 dark green with pinkish/purple tips)

8EAD2B15-4C89-45B1-BB08-01D7A7CCFCC2.jpeg 11A8A40B-67F7-45E3-A98F-3E95F5C50C53.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is a sign of stress. What factors?
- light(too much or too little)
- high nitrates
- salinity
- water temperature too warm
- clowns getting too aggressive
- lack of food (feed 2-3x per week)
- too close to sand and getting irritated

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
- high nitrates
- salinity
I am sorry to tag you here, should feedings be 2-3x if it's hunger, or on a normal basis? Thanks :)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am sorry to tag you here, should feedings be 2-3x if it's hunger, or on a normal basis? Thanks :)
Should be regular. Mysis shrimp or pinky nail size pieces if fish, mussel, squid or shrimp

OP
OP
R

Ramses0314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- high nitrates
- salinity
My nitrates are usually 5-10. They are on macroalgae tank, so the macro usually remove a lot. Salinity is at 0.025-0.026. My water temp is at a constant 78 F. I recently increased the light. My ocean revives setting were at 60% and 30% whites when the anemone was big and expanded, I increased to 80% blues when I added my other anemones. I thought anemones would move when too much light?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My nitrates are usually 5-10. They are on macroalgae tank, so the macro usually remove a lot. Salinity is at 0.025-0.026. My water temp is at a constant 78 F. I recently increased the light. My ocean revives setting were at 60% and 30% whites when the anemone was big and expanded, I increased to 80% blues when I added my other anemones. I thought anemones would move when too much light?
They may move.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will move to a better spot for either light changes and/or flow changes but it doesn’t happen very fast.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all the others are doing fine it is almost certainly chemical warfare among sub species. While nobody can prove it scientifically, I have seen it happen on several occasions, and it always happens over several months. Has been far more common between green rbtas and rose/rainbow rbtas. Black widows also pose a significant threat at times. Sometimes anemones will do fine with subspecies, sometimes they will not. I have greens and reds mixed in one tank, but I would never add a subspecies anemone to one of my dedicated breeding tanks, as I've seen what can happen in the past.
You do not want to try feeding an anemone that is in this state.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what’s causing it.
But I’m 80% sure your best bet at saving him is getting him into a QT.

may need some treatment as well like cipro.

otherwise next month will be just watching him continue to wither:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back