Rbta under ledge

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, had my rbta for better part of a month now and last night it decided to move. Moved too middle under light in a huge crevice, looked later the next day and it’s under the middle rock in a cave hanging upside down with no light hitting it… normal?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an bubble tip do the same thing to me months ago. It moved to a place I couldn't reach to even attempt to move it. It ended up dying unfortunately. I never could figure out why it moved to that spot. It had tons of easy options to move for different light and flow combinations---but yet it chose to starve itself instead. If your guy doesn't move on its own again after a few days, you could try moving it yourself---if you can reach it easily. Ideally you can remove the rock it's attached to and then experiment with better areas in the tank. If you can't do that, you can try using a powerhead to coax it off its perch with flow directed at its foot. Trying to dislodge a nem is very risky though because it's super easy to damage its foot.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They move all of the time. DO NOT TRY AND MOVE IT. If it is stressed out you will just make the problem worse. How old is the tank? What are your current parameters? What lighting are you using?

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an bubble tip do the same thing to me months ago. It moved to a place I couldn't reach to even attempt to move it. It ended up dying unfortunately. I never could figure out why it moved to that spot. It had tons of easy options to move for different light and flow combinations---but yet it chose to starve itself instead. If your guy doesn't move on its own again after a few days, you could try moving it yourself---if you can reach it easily. Ideally you can remove the rock it's attached to and then experiment with better areas in the tank. If you can't do that, you can try using a powerhead to coax it off its perch with flow directed at its foot. Trying to dislodge a nem is very risky though because it's super easy to damage its foot.
Not what I wanted to hear… why the hell do they do this?? There’s plenty of good spots…. Flow is decent in tank don’t believe it is too much. Sigh. Suicidal anemones lol

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they go where they want. I had a new one move into a cave for a few days then out again. But I have rarely had one move after it was happy in a spot unless it split which makes me wonder if something changed that made it not happy... any recent changes?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what I wanted to hear… why the hell do they do this?? There’s plenty of good spots…. Flow is decent in tank don’t believe it is too much. Sigh. Suicidal anemones lol
Yeah, very frustrating. Sorry you're experiencing a similar situation to what I had. Hopefully it ends up better though. Maybe crush up some anti-depressants and add them to the water? ;)

aimed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, had my rbta for better part of a month now and last night it decided to move. Moved too middle under light in a huge crevice, looked later the next day and it’s under the middle rock in a cave hanging upside down with no light hitting it… normal?
I’ve had three die this way, not sure why. Looked completely health, bubbly and fully extended. Than they moved under a ledge to die.

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They move all of the time. DO NOT TRY AND MOVE IT. If it is stressed out you will just make the problem worse. How old is the tank? What are your current parameters? What lighting are you using?
Sorry, had an emergency, I got the 165w, 36gallon tank, 7 months old, I am currently dealing with a new bloom of dinos, trying to figure that out, but just did test and my nitrates are spiking. alk= 10 nitrite =0 pho= 0 nitrate=8 ph-8.1....7/21 alk was 11, nitrate was 5, nitrite was 0.02. im chalking it up to these dinos, they are getting worse and I have microbacter7 coming in today hoping that will help. the RBTA has gone to the corner of the tank today, so hes getting some light. any ideas? I been feeding a little more to help dinos, says to get pho/nitrate up...but now nitrate is too high and PHO aint going up at all!!

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they go where they want. I had a new one move into a cave for a few days then out again. But I have rarely had one move after it was happy in a spot unless it split which makes me wonder if something changed that made it not happy... any recent changes?
Just got a sailfin tang, a pistol shrimp, handful of corals...within last 2 weeks. but also dinos have appeared and im trying to get those down...trying to get nutrience up and adding microbacter7 starting today.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, had an emergency, I got the 165w, 36gallon tank, 7 months old, I am currently dealing with a new bloom of dinos, trying to figure that out, but just did test and my nitrates are spiking. alk= 10 nitrite =0 pho= 0 nitrate=8 ph-8.1....7/21 alk was 11, nitrate was 5, nitrite was 0.02. im chalking it up to these dinos, they are getting worse and I have microbacter7 coming in today hoping that will help. the RBTA has gone to the corner of the tank today, so hes getting some light. any ideas? I been feeding a little more to help dinos, says to get pho/nitrate up...but now nitrate is too high and PHO aint going up at all!!

Nitrate is not too high. I keep mine between 10 and 15. Phosphate being zero is an issue. How high do you have the lights set at?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a sailfin tang, a pistol shrimp, handful of corals...within last 2 weeks. but also dinos have appeared and im trying to get those down...trying to get nutrience up and adding microbacter7 starting today.
Hopefully a short stay for the tang? If dinos that could for sure be effecting things.

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is not too high. I keep mine between 10 and 15. Phosphate being zero is an issue. How high do you have the lights set at?
65 blue, 15 white. yea my nitrate is very high for some reason. what best way to lower those? never had them so high before, its probably because im trying to get nutrients up to take care of dinos, I cant seem to get my phos up

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y
65 blue, 15 white. yea my nitrate is very high for some reason. what best way to lower those? never had them so high before, its probably because im trying to get nutrients up to take care of dinos, I cant seem to get my phos up
Your nitrates are not too high. Also, hope you have another home lined up for the sailfin, keeping one longterm in a 36g isn’t cool.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tang is probably a big contributor size depending. I keep my nitrate above 10 on purpose. Yours are not too high. If you want them lower the easiest way is water changes.

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tang is probably a big contributor size depending. I keep my nitrate above 10 on purpose. Yours are not too high. If you want them lower the easiest way is water changes.
just did a water change today haha. and the tang isnt staying long, having another tank ready soon.

Back