RC40G Mangrove Refugium

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who would ever think of planting a tree in saltwater aquarium? Julian Sprung has done this for years and grown an amazing mangrove tree in his tank. This was the inspiration for this mangrove refugium.

Originally, I changed from Zeovit biological filtration back to old school natural filtration, giving nature a try at balancing nitrate and phosphate. I removed the zeovit reactor and added a 25G refugium with chaeto and this 40G breeder with a mangrove.

In the 40G breeder tank is a “red” mangrove tree. It is about 36” tall. There is about a 4” substrate with a under layer of miracle mineral mud full of bacteria, microfauna, worms and minerals for the tree roots. Capped over the mud is Carib Sea live reef sand.

For lighting the plant, there is an ATI SunPower light fixture. It has six 24w 6,500K daylight T5 bulbs. The fixture is set high enough to barely feel heat above the leaves. The light intensity ramps up in the morning and down at night for total of 12 hours a day.

Between the return water and a Ecotech powerhead, there is moderately strong flow. The strongest flow at the top keeps the surface rippling and enough to keep the detritus from settling at the bottom.

To keep the maintenance low, the top and sides of the tank are kept blacked out to reduce algae growth. A long spine sea urchin eats the algae that does grow. Iron and iodine get dosed weekly. And few times a week, the leaves get a mist of water.

There were low expectations if the two refugiums would be adequate filters for a 80G mixed reef tank. All three tanks flow through a Lifereef sump. Once the chaeto and mangrove became established, the skimmer hardly produces skim, but still runs for aeration.

Starting out reefing, the colorful fish was the allure. Then came colors on “steroids” from corals, starting with LPS. Then came SPS corals with their high demands of water quality, time and care. These days, this plant growing in saltwater has the intrigue.

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. My girlfriend really wants me to put mangroves into our system. I’d do it if I could make it look good next to the display, since I don’t have a dedicated fishroom.

Always listen to your significant other :)

My tendency is to fill a tank like this with macro algae and fish to its limit. Went the other way this time to keep the maintenance low. It's a trade off for sure.

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though no fish yet, but I added a couple feather dusters and a red starfish to the long spine urchin already there.

32260338018_48be94fe66_c.jpg

32260338558_6593fc44b8_c.jpg

32260337218_dca4d6cd3c_c.jpg

31192314507_d1afb69108_c.jpg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the glass pieces just for evaporation?

I would love to do this with my little cube but, I would want fish of some variety in it.

Suggestions on fish for that setup in an 18x18x11 nano?

I have a tank I could drill for the fuge under it. This takes what I was planning to a whole new level.

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the glass pieces just for evaporation? I would love to do this with my little cube but, I would want fish of some variety in it. Suggestions on fish for that setup in an 18x18x11 nano? I have a tank I could drill for the fuge under it. This takes what I was planning to a whole new level.

Yes, the glass top is for evaporation. I'm not ready to stock fish in the mangrove tank as I already have a display tank with fish and corals (tied into the mangrove tank).

If I do stock fish, I might consider a pair of Banggai Cardinals or an anemone hosting a pair of Clownfish or a Pistol Shrimp/Yellow Watchman Goby combo . This could also work for your nano.

Good luck with it!

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walkman, red mangrove are known as "Walking Tree". Their prop roots arch out with several root shoots so they look like they walk on water.
Yours spread so much it’s nice.
I want to start a brackish tank. Still researching. Just wanting to know if there’s a way to help promote more roots and for them to spread some. Want to roots to be part of the aqua scape.

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours spread so much it’s nice.
I want to start a brackish tank. Still researching. Just wanting to know if there’s a way to help promote more roots and for them to spread some. Want to roots to be part of the aqua scape.

I believe if you cut a root, it will send out new shoots, but be careful doing this with a juvenile plant.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back