Re-Entering After a LONG break.

HOBtx79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning, I am re-entering the saltwater scene after being out for basically 10 years. So looking for some input on equipment, things have changed a little in that time. I also did FOWLR back then in large aquariums of 180g+.

HAVE:
Tank: Used RR 36*24*16 (being delivered this week)

Need everything else! Here is what I am leaning towards and have on my list. Tell me if they should change and what to.
Skimmer: BM Curve 5
Lights: Either Smatfarm G5 or Nicrew 150w
Sump: Build myself
Return Pump: ????
Tank Flow/Pump: ?????
Sand: Fiji Pink 40lbs
Rock: AF Rock 40lbs

Thats where I am at. Let the input start

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Vinaka_vakalevu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R
equipment set up

Lights: lots of us on R2R have gone to using the NooPsyche lights on our tanks. but again what you're trying to grow will really dictate what lights. but lots of lights work well.

Return Pump: the innovative Marin might jet is a good little reliable pump. Jebao makes some that are less expensive too, it just depends on how much controllability you want from your pump.

Tank Flow: in tank flow will really be dependent on what coral you're wanting to grow softies and LPS your likely be fine with a single Nero 5 or mp10 mixed reef will likely need a gyre and a couple other wave makers

Rock: if you can get some or all of your rock from TB saltwater it will drastically help in creating a stable tank environment.

OP
OP
H

HOBtx79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R
equipment set up

Lights: lots of us on R2R have gone to using the NooPsyche lights on our tanks. but again what you're trying to grow will really dictate what lights. but lots of lights work well.

Return Pump: the innovative Marin might jet is a good little reliable pump. Jebao makes some that are less expensive too, it just depends on how much controllability you want from your pump.

Tank Flow: in tank flow will really be dependent on what coral you're wanting to grow softies and LPS your likely be fine with a single Nero 5 or mp10 mixed reef will likely need a gyre and a couple other wave makers

Rock: if you can get some or all of your rock from TB saltwater it will drastically help in creating a stable tank environment.
In regards to return pump what flow rate?
In regards to flow and lights: I will start out with a softy and ricordia and LPS then eventually add in a few SPS.
Lights: why are are yall switching to NooPsyche?

Vinaka_vakalevu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to return pump what flow rate?
In regards to flow and lights: I will start out with a softy and ricordia and LPS then eventually add in a few SPS.
Lights: why are are yall switching to NooPsyche?
depends on if you're trying to use your return for flow or simply as a filtration return. ive started going on the lower end of return flow recommendation something in the 6-8x times water volume and using in tank gyres and heads to get the flow I want. In my little 20 gallon I have two ioaoi 180gph return pumps running at 40% so im probably only putting 150gph through my filtration but have 10 times that flow in my tank between my wave makers. I like having the redundency in case a pump goes down I will always have a second pump that can carry the load on its own.

as for the Noopsyche I can't speak for others but personally for me it was the cost factor given what it gives me. the lights put out more than enough light in a spectrum that grows corals while giving me access to an app, all be it not the easiest app, to control the light without having to have a separate controller.

id also look into running most of your stuff through something like a KASA smart strip. wifi controlled power strip that makes life a little easier.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll throw this in the ring.

Return pumps are the main heart. Don’t go cheap. DC are quiet and reliable.

I recommend the reef octo return pumps. The safety float switch built in is nice safety feature. I haven’t had my varios 4 give me a single trouble for 2 years and going.

Wavemakers.

The nero from Ai are decent pumps for the price with an EXCELLENT app for controlling.

Obviously the MP series are great but overpriced big time.

I personally recommend atleast one “gyre” style pump like from maxspect for that good laminar sheet flow. And one propeller style pump for the big broad flow with wave function.

Lights are a beat up story.

What are you trying to keep?

I like acropora specifically so a used T5 LED hybrid from Aquatic Life was perfect for me. But T5 isn’t for everyone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
H

HOBtx79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input and welcomes.

So what about this for a gyre:

SCP-90 Aquarium Flow Pump (3300 gph) - Jebao​

And this for the return:

MDP-5000 Submersible WIFI Return Pump w/ Digital Display (1453 gph) - Jebao​

So as you can see budget is thing.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input and welcomes.

So what about this for a gyre:

SCP-90 Aquarium Flow Pump (3300 gph) - Jebao​

And this for the return:

MDP-5000 Submersible WIFI Return Pump w/ Digital Display (1453 gph) - Jebao​

So as you can see budget is thing.
Great budget options. I know many people using both with good success. Just save for a back up ready to go.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.2%
Back