Re-scaping a 180g - ideas? pics?

scottkel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to re-aquascape my tank tonight and was hoping to get some ideas from everyone here - show me your pics! I have a 180g but it doesnt matter - just want to get some ideas.

Also, do you guys lean on the sides and back of your tanks? Or keep everything stacked in the middle?

Scott

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 180, the 24" depth allows you to keep the rockwork off the back wall for more swimming room and to prevent detritus from getting trapped in an area with no flow. If possible, I'd try to stick to the center. That being said, if you're planning an LPS dominated tank, it's tough to the open sandbed that youll probably want. Here's a shot of my 180... the left and right islands aren't touching the back glass, but the center island is:
IMG_1729-1.jpg

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been leaning toward a more minimalistic looks with less rock, more open swim room, island style. I did the whole rock wall thing and ended up changing it to what I have now over the course of three tank moves... I like the more open look with caves. There was a really cool thread that was started not too long ago where the aquascape was touching the sandbed in one spot on the side of the tank and stretched out over the sandbed like a floating island. It was awesome!

Unfortunately though I received a call from my wife who said that while she was cleaning off corraline from the back glass she bumpped some rock that was slightly unstable and did some accidental fragging. I have no idea what I am going home to for rockwork. Lesson learned though, epoxy and glue everything you can when you know what you want for rockwork :(

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back