Re-scaping your tank

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine just took down his tank and gave me a bunch of extra rock a lot of which is nice and flat. I am thinking about rescaping my entire set up to get some more real estate. Some of my colonies are huge and getting a little crowded. This is definitely going to be an all day event and considering everything seems very happy right now it's a little nerve wracking haha.

Just wondering how often if ever you rearrange your setup whether it be small scale or a complete remodel? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Here is my tank today:
IMG_7107.jpg

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have to redo mine time to time when there wasn't a fish I could get out...

Normally first reaction would be I hated it, but in the end I just got used to the redesign.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful, well established tank. I don't see how you can add more real estate by adding more rock. you could build up the left side, but need to rehome zoas.Time for a larger or second tank!!!

That free rock gonna cost you :face-with-tongue:

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rescaped my 2 yr old cube, mainly because it was my first tank, and my first attempt at scaping and I really boxed myself into a corner with how I laid things out. Shaded out so much real estate inadvertently. I needed to take all the rocks out to do a scrub and peroxide cleanse for a massive bryopsis outbreak, so it served two purposes in one action.

I'm much happier with the new look, but now all that rock up top I opened up for corals is the home of a fat and happy black widow anemone. I can't complain too much, he's gorgeous and I still have all of the new/extra space lower in the tank.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine just took down his tank and gave me a bunch of extra rock a lot of which is nice and flat. I am thinking about rescaping my entire set up to get some more real estate. Some of my colonies are huge and getting a little crowded. This is definitely going to be an all day event and considering everything seems very happy right now it's a little nerve wracking haha.

Just wondering how often if ever you rearrange your setup whether it be small scale or a complete remodel? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Here is my tank today:
IMG_7107.jpg
I'm sorry but no way would I rescape that tank unless I was moving everything into a new larger tank.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a rescape this past spring. More like a removal of a couple of large mushroom covered rocks and replaced with a dry rock scape I cycled in tank water for about a month.

I tried to not disturb the tank much in the process...I have an old shallow sandbed. Soon after the switch I started to get a red cyano outbreak on the sandbed and parts of the new rock. I'm still dealing with it several months later, but the new rock is getting coralline coverage as well as uglies like bubble algae.

Another upset was I was removing my clownfish pair's home rock. The female was really upset and almost killed it's mate... apparently it was his fault. They eventually took over my hammer colony....so that's never getting moved.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a rescape this past spring. More like a removal of a couple of large mushroom covered rocks and replaced with a dry rock scape I cycled in tank water for about a month.

I tried to not disturb the tank much in the process...I have an old shallow sandbed. Soon after the switch I started to get a red cyano outbreak on the sandbed and parts of the new rock. I'm still dealing with it several months later, but the new rock is getting coralline coverage as well as uglies like bubble algae.

Another upset was I was removing my clownfish pair's home rock. The female was really upset and almost killed it's mate... apparently it was his fault. They eventually took over my hammer colony....so that's never getting moved.

I got a cyano and dino outbreak in the tank, so I feel you, but mostly because I upset the biological filters to such a large degree. I sort of expected it, and it's slowly coming back into alignment. I'm not too fussed over it since I'm starting to see progress and a lessening of the baddies relatively quickly. I hope you're successful in rebalancing things.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I did a rescape it was partially aided and abetted by my pincushion urchin. I’m moving my 60 into what is presently a freshwater 90 gallon acrylic AIO . So I suppose, yeah rescape coming up.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ill be playing some coral tetris this weekend and will post and update!!

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Phase 1 Zoa Island

Got the first part done this morning rearranging the Zoas. It may not look a whole lot different, but the rocks have been moved back creating more space up front and I put a very hefty piece on the bottom which elevated the whole area about 4 inches. Lots more room for more zoa frags :)

Next steps
I’ll be raising the hammer colony on a bridge connecting to the zoa island. Creating a step up for SPS real estate on a nice flat piece up high. Then relocating the colt leather colony….somehwere…

BEFORE:
5D007261-1F03-4194-AE4C-842F02BAAA25.jpeg

AFTER:
45142925-ADD5-40FD-9D78-A024EA97F8AE.jpeg

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-scaped half my tank a while back because one structure was just a bunch of large rocks stacked straight up.
Basically, moved all of those rocks into bin of saltwater in the garage and started breaking them up on the garage floor,,, then just put back in the tank laying out the new plan as I went.

Caused some commotion but nothing major and I'm happier now (((more room for coral mounting)))
*note that was in only a 40 gallon tank with MUCH FEWER corals than what you have

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2: Done!

Took about 4 hours but definitely worth it! Every coral has a wide berth, no unnecessary shady spots, and more real estate overall. I used about the same amount of rock just different shapes and orientation. Now i just need to make some flow adjustments

Before:
1C30853A-872F-4392-AF74-637E4F9A0935.jpeg

After:
79A90898-AC31-4F6C-9B32-DE57426394C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back