Reactor question.

Lupomen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new here but not new to the hobby, I thought I had done all this before but can't shake the bug. Apologies that my first post is not strictly salt water related, but as it involves gear reefers may be more familiar with, I wonder could someone help me with this :
I need to reduce phosphates in an aquarium I am running at the moment. It contains African Cichlids at high PH. I have never used a reactor before, what I am proposing is the following. The tank is 250 litres filtered by two Oase Biomaster 350 external filters each delivering probably close to 1000 litres per hour. Water conditions are good, apart from phosphate which is causing an algae problem. I have ascertained the problem lies with my water supply, which has virtually no buffering and very 'soft' but the company adds phosphate. At the moment I can't use an RO unit, but I am setting that up to go back into saltwater but that has further implications for additives to buffer etc. What I want to do, is get a hang on reactor something like the Aquamax frs E and tee off the outlet from one of my external filters and use a tap to reduce the flow and feed the reactor with outlet back to the tank. Is this feasible ? my tank is drilled and has no visible equipment which I want to try and keep so external it has to be. Any help pointing me in the right direction or at the best equipment to do this, would be appreciated . Thanks Paul.

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have canister filters you can just run GFO inside of it to get the tank levels down.

after that, it might be worth while to get a reactor made from one of the RO filter chamber, fill with GFO and feed your source water though it before using in the tank.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know much about cichlid tanks but I would look into Lanthanum Chloride. It works very well at reducing phosphates. You could run gfo but at high levels it will get used up very quickly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back