Ready to break this tank down from flatworms

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have flatworms destroying my expensive torch corals and it is killing me. No matter what I dip the corals in they dont fall off or die. I remove them manually but they come back quickly. I've tried flatworm exit over and over with no success. I'm at my witts end with these flatworms. What should I do? I'm contemplating replacing all rocks in my tank, dipping all my corals and throw out any coral that has them on it.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using as a dip? FW exit wont kill /affect most coral eating polyclads. It was made for planaria. You will want to use coral RX and baste lightly, look for egg masses, scrape and seal that area with glue.

Then there is always bayer

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer dip used properly kills flatworms, 100%. Not their eggs, but definitely the worms.

Is this the same tank as your previous post was about with the fish dying?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something I can dip the rocks in without killing all the bacteria?

Nope. Would absorb into the rocks and then poison the tank.

If both fish are dying when you add them AND there are flatworms.... might be time to try something new (restart it, etc).

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Would absorb into the rocks and then poison the tank.

If both fish are dying when you add them AND there are flatworms.... might be time to try something new (restart it, etc).
What's the best way to restart without ditching all of the corals I've invested in?

rhkingsfan91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is an option, but I had a bad case of planaria from a coral swap and I didn't want to add chemicals to my tank. I bought a melanurus wrasse and the planaria was completely gone within a week. Wrasses can be hit or miss but this is the second time this type of wrasse has solved my issues.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way to restart without ditching all of the corals I've invested in?

I dont know honestly. Looking at your recent threads about this tank, it seems very unstable in general. I would suggest re-evaluating how you are setting up and maintaining the tank.

Just in the last month: Low salinity, ich, flatworms, dinos, aptasia, temperature fluctuations, fish dying immediately when added, etc.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also only ever been these 2 torch corals being affected. No snails, sps, other Lps. Is it worth just ditching the torches and hoping that's the solution?

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know honestly. Looking at your recent threads about this tank, it seems very unstable in general. I would suggest re-evaluating how you are setting up and maintaining the tank.

Just in the last month: Low salinity, ich, flatworms, dinos, aptasia, temperature fluctuations, fish dying immediately when added, etc.
This tank has always been an issue. I have a few others that are absolutely thriving. But this one in particular has been just awful.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer dip used properly kills flatworms, 100%. Not their eggs, but definitely the worms.

Is this the same tank as your previous post was about with the fish dying?
And yes this is the tank with the two fish that died immediately after addition. Not my other 2 tanks. Never had issues with them.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this tank has been nothing but problems, why not take it down? Or restart it?

I did just that with my 40 breeder. 8 days later, I could not be happier. That dino infested nightmare is over and doesn't create unneeded stress anymore.

If you do want to save the tank, add a predator for the flatworms(wrasse). Dip what you can in an effective dip of your choice and syphon out what worms you can to give the predator a leg up on the competition. Might need to syphon every day for a week to get a handle on them as new batches hatch and grow.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer kills them 100%. You can dip them all stop them for now and re dip or get a wrasse to crush them when they come back.

I use a Bayer concentration not recommended. I think it kills eggs just not 100% sure. I put 20 mls in a 1 cup of water. Never lost 1 coral this way and kill many pests.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this tank has been nothing but problems, why not take it down? Or restart it?

I did just that with my 40 breeder. 8 days later, I could not be happier. That dino infested nightmare is over and doesn't create unneeded stress anymore.

If you do want to save the tank, add a predator for the flatworms(wrasse). Dip what you can in an effective dip of your choice and syphon out what worms you can to give the predator a leg up on the competition. Might need to syphon every day for a week to get a handle on them as new batches hatch and grow.
The only thing I have against restarting it losing my corals. If there is a good way to reset with all my corals I'm more than game.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have against restarting it losing my corals. If there is a good way to reset with all my corals I'm more than game.

That's a tough one for sure. Dip and transfer to a temporary qt tank would be ideal. Restarting a tank is usually never an easy choice or endeavor.

I do think you could beat this with the right wrasse and rigorous syphoning.

Niteowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you I had EEFW after many dips in bayer, scraping eggs for months, I got a Melanurus Wrasse and a yellow wrasse. I haven’t seen FW for 3 months. I lost 3 hammers a frogspawn and 1 torch. I still have 2 small torches left.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you I had EEFW after many dips in bayer, scraping eggs for months, I got a Melanurus Wrasse and a yellow wrasse. I haven’t seen FW for 3 months. I lost 3 hammers a frogspawn and 1 torch. I still have 2 small torches left.
So you think wrasse is really a best bet?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any pics of these flatworms? Some treat differently but all in all your defense ( never heard of bayer dip doing the trick- red bugs yes, but flatworms?) will be:

- melanurus or Lunare wrasse
- Blue Velvet nudibranch
Flatworm exit or Flatwork stop

TRY TO SIPHON AS MANY AS YOU CAN PRIOR TO TREATMENT.

Back