Ready to break this tank down from flatworms

Niteowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think wrasse is really a best bet?
Idk. But I can tell you it was terable dippin every week. I’d wait till lights out and look for them with a flashlight. Still do. Just in case. Since I put the wrasses in I see none. I got them for the purpose of getting rid of the FW.

Niteowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled 9 over a inch each off 1. 2 head hammer.
91789D2A-B413-451E-A43E-377DCD78A741.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok - these are acro eating flatworms and actually may respond to Bayer dipping although not an effective method of removal. Use CoralRX
These are the eggs of these flatworms :
1586220058328.png

Toxins in the eggs of the Acropora Eating Flatworm destroy the tissue near the eggs. The tissue is not eaten but chemically burned. Eggs are normally found on the base of the coral.
You will need to set up a quarantine tank or even a rubbermaid tub as a temporary QT tank. Using dip such as coralrx, blast the coral with the dip. Making sure it is getting in between the branches and in all the cracks of the coral. Do this for approximately 7-8 mins. Afterwards remove the coral and discard the coral dip.
DO NOT reuse the dip as parasites may release toxins. Then rinse coral with clean saltwater and return to the quarantine tank for 4-7 days OR until no more flatworms are found but repeat the blasting with dip each day

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this tank has been nothing but problems, why not take it down? Or restart it?

I did just that with my 40 breeder. 8 days later, I could not be happier. That dino infested nightmare is over and doesn't create unneeded stress anymore.

If you do want to save the tank, add a predator for the flatworms(wrasse). Dip what you can in an effective dip of your choice and syphon out what worms you can to give the predator a leg up on the competition. Might need to syphon every day for a week to get a handle on them as new batches hatch and grow.
did you reintroduce corals or fish ? after break down ? from the same break down

Wc_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s gonna suck but take all the fish and invertebrates out of the tank and use a coral dip on your hole tank then after a hour or so start doing water changes every other day until all the dip is gone. I have a problem like this to and doing this worked for me now I only had a 30 gallon tank but if you can save this tank try and do so.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s gonna suck but take all the fish and invertebrates out of the tank and use a coral dip on your hole tank then after a hour or so start doing water changes every other day until all the dip is gone. I have a problem like this to and doing this worked for me now I only had a 30 gallon tank but if you can save this tank try and do so.
Last night I took out all the rock. Did a 100% water change. Scrubbed the rock in dirty tank water. And removed the sand bed. Also dipped corals. All looks pretty good today

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So little bit of an update. I dipped all corals. Removed all corals that had flatworm on it (just 2 euphillia) removed sandbed and did a massive water change. All sign of dino, cyano, pests. All seem to be gone (fingers crossed on the pests part) the corals look super happy and nitrates arent fluctuating anymore.

Funny side note. I almost killed my Hollywood stunner coral because I was looking at the tank when I was all done and thinking. Hmm I'm missing a coral... I brushed it off and continued to pick up my mess from the whole thing. About 2p mins later I clean under my couch and boom somehow my Hollywood stunner was under there. It's still doing good today so I'm not worried about it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back