OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dot dash blenny (Ecsenius lineatus )

7VYodPw-PX8OsROAWrqEQNiaHOB8HBibVEVUXV_hASpmy51ticHa7uiL7pd7JeCKZg11MffuW7XzdNiE90YdSzkRI4pp0o46zvdn8EE1CyLc8PwkhxukkM0sDHDm08jKY7Ou7296NboJaWbHEUce3DDMtDVVDnmSUAPgEviOX6jhEp3gM2_mM0tjDViojqKelYvNcf4w8enlZWf5qlpK8zOMG2QF6JZWDssV-tOYG49Nwrl4FjGTnHudZqcqG3xye2s4hie2twkoJz1ioGFMyBsQXwo-jE04w0TxaXAUduHRJ28CRNF2zlDA2zY9FdgWmH1RUaFIyEwqssu7EX8fqjPVj_96FolYYurJ6kJz8RzDXPlqiReosxsHnPk4nOkwW2eY8c4aArkt_rpfJ6b-f1LjSJJQPFJU9BJ1ItE98aU5VLErgYxHcbGTO-928yFjdQRG4KmQyuPoMotHLuISOq0NCf_YcMIW1DzdJ7LdWqLQE233J5xOWMNZpYDXOwvwmElaTUM4xdVhsuGijivUmdhiNB0BYFnVl1XDm8I7JYDEt7EyJ3ymsqF4loWKPfqkM1FdxAXEKhYBtuKDTEwLIcYdaYvyUdPi3Q7Y9Pu5zNdXlNH7o3PqiDthqIixYwPRy1KT1xT4CXRqJ5pwUz5MBY9ZJ_99rTI=w476-h626-no

OP
OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clown tang has gone.

He became agressive towards the CBB and the Longnoose at the feeding time.
It also started to pursuit my lubock wrasse and, seldom, my leopard wrasse.

It was my only tang with the purpose of avoid agressions.
It's not worked well.

It went to a fish only tank with others big fishes (tangs, rabbit, etc......)

Life goes on.....

OP
OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the depart of the Clown tang, my pink tail triggerfish moved out too.
It was getting bigger and bigger and I heave a recent taste for small fishes.

So, for now, the only 2 "big" fishes in the tank are the buterflies.
They're doing great and i intend to keep it that way.

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read/skimmed through your journey. One of my FAVORITES to date. Question though, what settings are you using on your AI lights? I've always been a fan of more full spectrum lighting; you seem to pull off a pretty white look yet achieve brilliant colors. Are the pictures/videos pretty representative of what your eye sees? Also, I'm a fan of your focused lighting with shadowing in the negative space, really draws the eye and very nice for photos.

And a side note... I'm in the process of designing my home and am stuck with exact tank dimensions. I either want to do an 84" x 48" x 27-30" (2.13m x 1.22m x .69-.76m) or a 96" x 42" x 27-30" (2.44m x 1.07m x .69-.76m). Would you ever go any taller or leave it at about 27" or .69m and do you have issue reaching the bottom of your tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read/skimmed through this your journey. One of my FAVORITES to date. Question though, what settings are you using on your AI lights? I've always been a fan of more full spectrum lighting; you seem to pull off a pretty white look yet achieve brilliant colors. Are the pictures/videos pretty representative of what your eye sees? Also, I'm a fan of your focused lighting with shadowing in the negative space, really draws the eye and very nice for photos.

And a side note... I'm in the process of designing my home and am stuck with exact tank dimensions. I either want to do an 84" x 48" x 27-30" (2.13m x 1.22m x .69-.76m) or a 96" x 42" x 27-30" (2.44m x 1.07m x .69-.76m). Would you ever go any taller or leave it at about 27" or .69m and do you have issue reaching the bottom of your tank?

Hi Justin.
Thanks!!!

I have 9 fixtures of 3 diferent models (Vegas, hydras52 and hydra26HD) in 5 "groups" so I have a lot of diferent settings.
I basically run the blues at 100% and the whites at 30~40%.....
Here is a print of the ramps of one group:

AI.jpg

I always try to keep my photos/videos "real". In the videos is harder than in the photos, that are very accurate.
One detail: I like to add a lot of black (through gama correction) in the post processing of the photos.......I like the contrast, and the color pop, without make any change in the saturation.
This can be tricky and the final result may look artificial, but I like it that way.

About your tank.....
I'm 6' tall, so reach the bottom of the tank (standing in a custom made "stool") isn't a problem for me.
I like shallow tanks. I consider mine, even been 70cm tall, shallow due the other 2 dimensions.
i think that more important that one dimension is the proportion of the 3....
I always think about proportion when I'm setting up a new tank.
I also like wider tanks.....it improves a lot the possibilities os scape. Think about it.

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Justin.
Thanks!!!

I have 9 fixtures of 3 diferent models (Vegas, hydras52 and hydra26HD) in 5 "groups" so I have a lot of diferent settings.
I basically run the blues at 100% and the whites at 30~40%.....
Here is a print of the ramps of one group:

AI.jpg

I always try to keep my photos/videos "real". In the videos is harder than in the photos, that are very accurate.
One detail: I like to add a lot of black (through gama correction) in the post processing of the photos.......I like the contrast, and the color pop, without make any change in the saturation.
This can be tricky and the final result may look artificial, but I like it that way.

About your tank.....
I'm 6' tall, so reach the bottom of the tank (standing in a custom made "stool") isn't a problem for me.
I like shallow tanks. I consider mine, even been 70cm tall, shallow due the other 2 dimensions.
i think that more important that one dimension is the proportion of the 3....
I always think about proportion when I'm setting up a new tank.
I also like wider tanks.....it improves a lot the possibilities os scape. Think about it.

Thank you so much for your detailed response!

And gotcha; you do a beautiful job with capturing shots/vids of your tank. Also, I'm definitely on board with keeping things more proportionate (tank dimensions as well as fish sizes) for both aquascaping flexibility and fish behavior.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back