Receding tissue on Euphyllia

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of my euphyllia have had their polyps retracted most of the week. Today I noticed a little bit of tissue recession on my gold torch. No tissue is shedding/falling off of so I don't think it is brown jelly. On some of them, the base is a little discolored and darker than normal (see photos).

I did start to implement dosing kalk this week and I think I may have had a small overdose of the slurry or something. The solution was weak (1 tsp per gallon) and I didn't add a bunch by accident but I may have dosed the wrong part. I noticed the tank was getting a bit cloudy that day and turned off the doser. In all, probably max of 300 mL went into my 25g tank. I measured my pH afterwards and it read 8.3 so I don't think there was a big swing. All of the corals were fine except for a few SPS and the Euphyllia. The SPS are back to normal now but the Euphyllia are still unhappy. This occurred on 7/9.

Only other thing I changed was that I replaced the chemi-pure and phosguard last weekend in my sump. I've since removed the phosguard and turned off my skimmer thinking that the low nutrients could be a problem.

My alkalinity has been going through the motions as I began to start testing and supplementing with an alk buffer. Trying to get it to a desirable level and keep it there with kalk but that is proving to be more difficult than I anticipated. The corals really did not care about all the alk swings in the past and only started having issues this week (jul 9).
upload_2019-7-14_10-52-58.png

Any insights or advice?

Thanks

IMG_2699.JPG IMG_2700.JPG IMG_2701.JPG IMG_2702.JPG IMG_2703.JPG IMG_2704.JPG

OP
OP
jordan9095

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed that the majority of the tips are curved and facing back down towards the base rather than extending upward like usual.

OP
OP
jordan9095

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have been slowly improving so I think it is mostly from the kalk overdose. I've been keeping track of my pH lately & I think it spiked from around 7.9 to 8.3 after the kalk dose. A lot of the tissue has receded on the torch pictured above but has stopped at a reasonable spot near the rim. I think it was just building the skeleton since my water now has more alk & ca. Some polyps are still curved at the end but mostly everything is back to normal.

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread here but what’s the update a year later? I’ve noticed this on some of my Euphyllia. They still open all the way and have a good amount of flesh around the head but more so worried about further degradation. I don’t have any Alk swings like here though. Everything controlled through a trident and DOS.

Padawan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same concerns about my Euphyllia ancora. It started receding around the skeletal ridge or coralite wall 3 weeks after I bought it. The number of tentacles it had seemed to drop too. My nitrites were at 1.0 mg/l from the lack of good filtration but once I bought a protein skimmer and added more rock my nitrites dropped and my Euphyllia started to bounce back.

One thing I noticed after the tissue stopped receding is the Coenosarc (the living tissue that covers the outer skeletal material of the coral). Where the tissue below the skeletal ridge remained intact my Euphyllia was able to regenerate (both the main living body of coral, and layer of tissue surrounding the outer rim of my coral joined up). Where the parts of the Coenosarc was damaged there doesn't seem to be any regrowth yet. My question is, can the bit of tissue that joins the body of the coral to the stony wall regenerate or will the coral growth just be altered in that area? I assume this sort of thing contributes to its shape and what the coral looks like over time.

OP
OP
jordan9095

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having success with the following dips:

brightwell medicoral for ~8 mins. i use a lot more than the dose recommendation. enough so that the water is slight yellow tint

then in another dip for 8 mins with brightwell aminos, iodine, & brightwell restor.

then rinse in tank water and place in a spot with low flow

If it is happening to only one of your euphyllia, it is probably isolated incident with that coral. If it is happening with all the euphyllia, there is likely something wrong with the water parameters.

The flesh will grow back over the hard skeleton if things turn around. A healthy euphyllia has a healthy white layer of flesh extending down its base.

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having success with the following dips:

brightwell medicoral for ~8 mins. i use a lot more than the dose recommendation. enough so that the water is slight yellow tint

then in another dip for 8 mins with brightwell aminos, iodine, & brightwell restor.

then rinse in tank water and place in a spot with low flow

If it is happening to only one of your euphyllia, it is probably isolated incident with that coral. If it is happening with all the euphyllia, there is likely something wrong with the water parameters.

The flesh will grow back over the hard skeleton if things turn around. A healthy euphyllia has a healthy white layer of flesh extending down its base.
I don’t think mine is a parameter issue. I’m guessing more bacterial infection that is spreading. See my thread below.

Javierati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of my euphyllia have had their polyps retracted most of the week. Today I noticed a little bit of tissue recession on my gold torch. No tissue is shedding/falling off of so I don't think it is brown jelly. On some of them, the base is a little discolored and darker than normal (see photos).

I did start to implement dosing kalk this week and I think I may have had a small overdose of the slurry or something. The solution was weak (1 tsp per gallon) and I didn't add a bunch by accident but I may have dosed the wrong part. I noticed the tank was getting a bit cloudy that day and turned off the doser. In all, probably max of 300 mL went into my 25g tank. I measured my pH afterwards and it read 8.3 so I don't think there was a big swing. All of the corals were fine except for a few SPS and the Euphyllia. The SPS are back to normal now but the Euphyllia are still unhappy. This occurred on 7/9.

Only other thing I changed was that I replaced the chemi-pure and phosguard last weekend in my sump. I've since removed the phosguard and turned off my skimmer thinking that the low nutrients could be a problem.

My alkalinity has been going through the motions as I began to start testing and supplementing with an alk buffer. Trying to get it to a desirable level and keep it there with kalk but that is proving to be more difficult than I anticipated. The corals really did not care about all the alk swings in the past and only started having issues this week (jul 9).
upload_2019-7-14_10-52-58.png

Any insights or advice?

Thanks

IMG_2699.JPG IMG_2700.JPG IMG_2701.JPG IMG_2702.JPG IMG_2703.JPG IMG_2704.JPG

Javierati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is happening to one of my torch corals now. The last addition to the tank with two large heads. One of the heads is showing flesh deciding.
3D8D5EBE-9F64-4FC0-8EB8-39F56DA7BE50.jpeg
712EB693-7D77-4B0A-A871-0E30546BE3EC.jpeg

Javierati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is happening to one of my torch corals now. The last addition to the tank with two large heads. One of the heads is showing flesh deciding.
712EB693-7D77-4B0A-A871-0E30546BE3EC.jpeg
I started to dose restor to see if it helps.
Yesterday there was a tiny amount of tissue retracting. But now is a bunch more.
None of the other Euphyllia show any sign of stress.

Javierati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to dose restor to see if it helps.
Yesterday there was a tiny amount of tissue retracting. But now is a bunch more.
None of the other Euphyllia show any sign of stress.
331A7EA7-B8B3-47F4-BCB2-867508E1F2E5.jpeg
It’s the one on the right, lower end. Light burning it does not seem to be the issue because I have others much higher on the rock scape.
Water parameters have been very stable.
CA427F55-2820-49F4-BDEB-C653F48DDEE2.jpeg

OP
OP
jordan9095

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try these dips:

brightwell medicoral for ~8 mins. use enough to make water tea colored. then in another dip for 8 mins with brightwell aminos, iodine, & brightwell restor (all three mixed in one dip). rinse and back in a spot with low flow. its important to carefully dip the coral and not cause additional stress with the process. you can do this once a day or a few times a week. i usually notice improvement after one dip.

that should help bring things back & i have good success with that after torch has been stressed or showing tissue decline. this assumes all other params are good. i would check your phosphate if not already as well and make sure that has not creeped up.

Javierati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try these dips:

brightwell medicoral for ~8 mins. use enough to make water tea colored. then in another dip for 8 mins with brightwell aminos, iodine, & brightwell restor (all three mixed in one dip). rinse and back in a spot with low flow. its important to carefully dip the coral and not cause additional stress with the process. you can do this once a day or a few times a week. i usually notice improvement after one dip.

that should help bring things back & i have good success with that after torch has been stressed or showing tissue decline. this assumes all other params are good. i would check your phosphate if not already as well and make sure that has not creeped up.
How do you determine between a bacterial infection (brown jelly) vs stress. I understand management is very different between the two diagnosis. I don't want to have my other euphyllia to get infected if its the brown jelly.

OP
OP
jordan9095

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you determine between a bacterial infection (brown jelly) vs stress. I understand management is very different between the two diagnosis. I don't want to have my other euphyllia to get infected if its the brown jelly.
think of brown jelly like the insects on a dead corpse. its a bacteria that feeds on the dead tissue not a direct cause. this post explains and has recipe for another dip based around chemi clean which some like to use

Dinukb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try these dips:

what is the dosage you use on restor, amino and Lugols? I believe this is to repair any damage tissue?

OP
OP
jordan9095

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the dosage you use on restor, amino and Lugols? I believe this is to repair any damage tissue?
i do my dips in a solo cup if coral can fit. lugols use enough to make tea colored. amino is 2-3 full squirts. restor is about 1/4 of the cap or less. iodine is 1 ML.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back