Torch head after head keeps dying

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently lost 10 heads of torches recently. All one by one and not at the same time. They all had very healthy flesh and then all of a sudden it starts peeling off and then it dies. For the first couple heads, there is no sign of BJD but later heads I noticed what appears to be BJD. I currently have 1 head of a three head gold torch being the next ticked off one that is starting to show some flesh peeling off. Any ideas how to stop the carnage?? It’s odd because they were all very happy with thick flesh around the heads and they have been going one by one by one.

Alk: 8.5
Calc: 480
Mag: 1400
NO3: 5-10ppm
PO4: 0.05-08

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently lost 10 heads of torches recently. All one by one and not at the same time. They all had very healthy flesh and then all of a sudden it starts peeling off and then it dies. For the first couple heads, there is no sign of BJD but later heads I noticed what appears to be BJD. I currently have 1 head of a three head gold torch being the next ticked off one that is starting to show some flesh peeling off. Any ideas how to stop the carnage?? It’s odd because they were all very happy with thick flesh around the heads and they have been going one by one by one.

Alk: 8.5
Calc: 480
Mag: 1400
NO3: 5-10ppm
PO4: 0.05-08
Dip all remaining euphyllia in iodine dip. Then revive dip. Then pray for a recovery.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,also try to keep as far away from each other,even if means fragging,remember to rinse in bowl of tank water after dip before replacing.best wishes

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any ideas the cause? I did an iodine dip earlier on one of the corals and that just expedited the process. I did coral RX dips all around though but nothing outside of pods came out.
sorry no answer how,but is a bacterial infection,spreads/kills fast :(

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on bacteria infection, sadly a SUPER fast killer. If bjd was ever present in your tank it will always be there, so you have to be on the cautious side. Maybe attempt more frequent water changes and pray for a better survival rate:(

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on bacteria infection, sadly a SUPER fast killer. If bjd was ever present in your tank it will always be there, so you have to be on the cautious side. Maybe attempt more frequent water changes and pray for a better survival rate:(
Ok will do. So if I run out of Euphyllia and go barren for a while will it be gone from the tank? Can the infection cause BJD? I’ve never had it but noticed some of it after this infection takes place. So annoying seeing the bright white heads where it just dies on me.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will do. So if I run out of Euphyllia and go barren for a while will it be gone from the tank? Can the infection cause BJD? I’ve never had it but noticed some of it after this infection takes place. So annoying seeing the bright white heads where it just dies on me.
So the infection is the the aggressor, while BJD forms while the torch is aggravated from the infection and finishes the job. It’s a very aggressive disease that will kill almost everything it comes in contact with unless your quick to avoid it! If you do go barren, I suggest you wait a couple months before rebuying, cause there will always be a chance it does still “live”amongst your tank. I’m not for sure about a how long it can survive in a tank.
attaching a link to another forum with similar answers so you can Compare

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the infection is the the aggressor, while BJD forms while the torch is aggravated from the infection and finishes the job. It’s a very aggressive disease that will kill almost everything it comes in contact with unless your quick to avoid it! If you do go barren, I suggest you wait a couple months before rebuying, cause there will always be a chance it does still “live”amongst your tank. I’m not for sure about a how long it can survive in a tank.
attaching a link to another forum with similar answers so you can Compare
We will see how it goes. I was throwing away corals before it got to the BJD stage after the first to try to contain it. Still not sure though but quite annoying that I have all parameters in check and you get this sort of die off. This happened on my last tank that I thought was due to alk swings so now I have a trident to avoid that and it still happens!

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will see how it goes. I was throwing away corals before it got to the BJD stage after the first to try to contain it. Still not sure though but quite annoying that I have all parameters in check and you get this sort of die off. This happened on my last tank that I thought was due to alk swings so now I have a trident to avoid that and it still happens!
Keep your hopes up,no gd BJD not to long ago, it formed off a Knicks torch which was damaged during shipping, then spread to some of my euphyllia. I caught it almost immediately though and dipped, and saved most of my corals. I let a month go by, doing a water change 2 times a week, and it finally got to the point where I got more euphyllia. And now I have enough euphyllia to make you dizzy LOL!! Fights never over until you say it’s over!

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double and triple check your salinity. I had something similar happen long ago. I would lose one head and then a couple weeks later another. Kept going for a couple months. Turns out my salinity was 1.030. Corrected that and the issue never returned.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double and triple check your salinity. I had something similar happen long ago. I would lose one head and then a couple weeks later another. Kept going for a couple months. Turns out my salinity was 1.030. Corrected that and the issue never returned.
Thanks will do just in case.
Keep your hopes up,no gd BJD not to long ago, it formed off a Knicks torch which was damaged during shipping, then spread to some of my euphyllia. I caught it almost immediately though and dipped, and saved most of my corals. I let a month go by, doing a water change 2 times a week, and it finally got to the point where I got more euphyllia. And now I have enough euphyllia to make you dizzy LOL!! Fights never over until you say it’s over!
My only thought is that it came off of this HG torch I got really cheap for a vendor launch. It looked fairly healthy but a week after getting it I got polyp bailout or something. That started the slow die off of them that really started speeding up. The rest of my Euphyllia look healthy still so I ended up moving this one that’s dying to my other tank in hopes of saving the healthy head. Whatever this is wouldn’t effect nems right? Saying as I moved it into my nem tank.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks will do just in case.

My only thought is that it came off of this HG torch I got really cheap for a vendor launch. It looked fairly healthy but a week after getting it I got polyp bailout or something. That started the slow die off of them that really started speeding up. The rest of my Euphyllia look healthy still so I ended up moving this one that’s dying to my other tank in hopes of saving the healthy head. Whatever this is wouldn’t effect nems right? Saying as I moved it into my nem tank.
Shouldn’t bother your Nems, but I think that vendor is the reason why your loosing all this money. That torch, did it bail out or did the skin flake away and eventually dissapear?

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t bother your Nems, but I think that vendor is the reason why your loosing all this money. That torch, did it bail out or did the skin flake away and eventually dissapear?
Bail out. Was fine and had some flesh around the head and was fully open and then woke up the next day and it was gone. Took a while for the rest to go down hill.

My latest indo gold lost 1/3 heads in the new tank. Looks like head #2 will also be lost but the third looks healthy still. Quite unfortunate as this local guy I buy from has historically had good stuff.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo of the current issue one after moving to my nem tank.

Attachments

• 1C151EA8-6BDC-47E5-8791-94D68E40DE64.jpeg
    1C151EA8-6BDC-47E5-8791-94D68E40DE64.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 167
OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, it seems that the third head is still doing well. Hopefully I don’t see any new corals potentially dying in the DT. Quite the sad loss but hopefully can rebuild while prices are down

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chop that head off & do a dip. Chemiclean dip can help with bacterial infections but best to move everything into a QT tank if possible. It does eventually spread to all the euphylia in the tank. That photo looks like BJD & not polyp bailout. Polyp bailout wouldn't have leftover brown/dead flesh behind.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chop that head off & do a dip. Chemiclean dip can help with bacterial infections but best to move everything into a QT tank if possible. It does eventually spread to all the euphylia in the tank. That photo looks like BJD & not polyp bailout. Polyp bailout wouldn't have leftover brown/dead flesh behind.
It’s a mix. Moved that one coral to my other tank and the last head seems okay. Today noticed one of my last torches is having polyp bailout (no BJD behind). None of the hammers are affected.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see BJD. This is getting annoying and expensive.

Attachments

• A95E7CC4-CC54-4229-BDCC-E82449C62680.jpeg
    A95E7CC4-CC54-4229-BDCC-E82449C62680.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 165

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back