Recessed or Flush in-wall reef

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling. I still trying to figure out how or where to put a 300 gallon or bigger. I’m gutting the whole basement and redoing it though. Have fun and post pictures.

mark Prieto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did the opposite and have ours extending into the living space a little bit to allow for a side view. The back is now painted, and it will have white trim to match the floorboards.

Resized_20190407_102248_7082001.jpeg
This looks amazing , and it gave me a great idea and will allow for a wider tank as I can have about 15inches outside and 11 inside and allow a 30 inch width of tank, thank you

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we were about to buy a 125G, even got the wife's approval. The more I came closer to the actual purchase, the harder it became to part away from my 75G, as strange as it may sound. At this point, with my 2years of reefing experience, I am not sure if I am ready for an upgrade just yet. here's the tank in-wall as it sits right now. The tank is few LPS, couple of Monti and bunch of zoas, though the picture here makes the tank look empty.

20190613_175337.jpg

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm envisioning that "inwall" that sticks out into the room a bit must cause splash/salt creep issues on the dry wall right above the tank...

I'm planning a large system (250+ gallons) in my basement as well. I'm doing the subfloor now, wall insulation is done, and I am having the walls for the fishroom studded out next weekend.

The problem with picture frame style inwall tanks is you need to handle ALL of the cleaning, aquascape, etc from behind the tank. I'm planning on having removable panels above the tank from the front, so that they can be removed for easy maintenance.

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm envisioning that "inwall" that sticks out into the room a bit must cause splash/salt creep issues on the dry wall right above the tank...

I'm planning a large system (250+ gallons) in my basement as well. I'm doing the subfloor now, wall insulation is done, and I am having the walls for the fishroom studded out next weekend.

The problem with picture frame style inwall tanks is you need to handle ALL of the cleaning, aquascape, etc from behind the tank. I'm planning on having removable panels above the tank from the front so that they can be removed for easy maintenance.
the room behind the tank is my fish room, it's quite a large room, so my maintenance (especially since it's only a 75G) isn't that bad, but I can see how it might get difficult if its a 250+ size tank.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the room behind the tank is my fish room, it's quite a large room, so my maintenance (especially since it's only a 75G) isn't that bad, but I can see how it might get difficult if its a 250+ size tank.

Ahh makes sense. I'm shooting for a 6' 300ish gallon tank myself, just gotta figure out the biggest tank I can fit in the basement since I do NOT have a walk out.
My fish room behind my tank is going to be big too, not by choice more by working with what my home is giving me lol. I'm looking at roughly 10 x 12 fishroom behind the tank. Which is also where my sump pit/pump is already located so I have a spot for waste water to go without much modification.

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh makes sense. I'm shooting for a 6' 300ish gallon tank myself, just gotta figure out the biggest tank I can fit in the basement since I do NOT have a walk out.
My fish room behind my tank is going to be big too, not by choice more by working with what my home is giving me lol. I'm looking at roughly 10 x 12 fishroom behind the tank. Which is also where my sump pit/pump is already located so I have a spot for waste water to go without much modification.
nice! our basement isnt a walkout either, thats one of the biggest reason why i chose to stick with my 75. someday, i would like to get a 180G inside there. most likely will have to bring it in through the fire egress window if i choose to go that way.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The problem with picture frame style inwall tanks is you need to handle ALL of the cleaning, aquascape, etc from behind the tank. I'm planning on having removable panels above the tank from the front, so that they can be removed for easy maintenance.

Never have an issue with scaping, or cleaning, and the drywall was painted and sealed with urethane clear coat.

I do have to lean over and use some tools, but the only places I can’t reach by hand are the front corners, because plumbing and overflow box are in the way

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never have an issue with scaping, or cleaning, and the drywall was painted and sealed with urethane clear coat.

I do have to lean over and use some tools, but the only places I can’t reach by hand are the front corners, because plumbing and overflow box are in the way

How do you have your lighting oriented? I'm interested to see how you have the front part of the tank lit that sticks out into the room.

paulweck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is pictures framed with a 3" jamb around it. The pic is a few years old after a flood in the basement so dont mind my nasty floor
20180728_135107.jpeg

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is pictures framed with a 3" jamb around it. The pic is a few years old after a flood in the basement so dont mind my nasty floor
20180728_135107.jpeg

Can you show photos behind the tank? Looks great from the front!

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine back behind the wall. Honestly the main reason for this was I was having a hard time on how I wanted to attach drywall to my steel stand, then also I figured if I ever sold the house it would be easier to cover up the wall if the new owners didn't want an aquarium. Plus I insulated the wall to soundproof it from the tank equipment and I used shower stall sheething on the backside so never have to worry about water from the tank causing any damage. I like the look. Still waiting for my bar top though so don't mind the unfinished bar :)

IMG_0824.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back