Recipe 2: Alkalinity Dosing Suddenly Not Clouding Water

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put a new set of Recipe 2 Ca and alk gallons online a couple nights ago and I just noticed that the alkalinity part isn't turning the water cloudy anymore as it goes in the water.

Same reagents and formula as always. (About 300+ grams/gallon.)
Same old bag of arm & hammer.

Anyone have thoughts on why this could happen or if it could be normal? I can't figure out what could have happened, but what's going into the tank looks like magnesium as it dissolves. (I don't even have any magnesium to mix, so I know I didn't grab the wrong bag of reagent.) Trying to figure out what I did wrong.

I've been dosing Recipe2 like this for quite a while, BTW, and I've never seen the alk part not cloud the water. This is definitely weird.

Testing now to see if I can tell anything that way.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Recipe 2 (unbaked) for a long time and it's the first time I've noticed it like this. The jug this one replaced did it for sure.

Still haven't gotten that testing done though. :) I'm curious to know if testing shows everything normal.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mg levels have been low and I brought them back up along with the switch of the jugs.

Do you think clouding be less likely at 1375 ppm vs 1200 ppm?

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my test numbers seem more or less inline...will have to test another sample in a few days to be sure.

It's either strange that this is happening, or strange than I never noticed it before. :)

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the baked vs non baked. My first attempt used non baked and once I realized the difference, I baked it and now it's cloudy again. I suspect your bottle may have had air get in and CO2 mixed into the chemical? Not sure if that's possible, but seems like a reasonable explanation.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recipe 2 is just plain baking soda....non-baked. I scoop out of the Arm& Hammer bag onto the scale, then pour it into the mix. No other middle step! ;)

I guess conditions are just right and maybe that's what's "weird".

Another factor is that, at 1.0235, s.g. is a bit lower than usual too...1.025 or 1.026 are the only two numbers I usually see on my refractomer.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that the alk portion doesn't cloud the water when I am at the top of the bucket. Once I've used most of it, the bottom portion of the bucket will cloud the water. It seems like there is some sort of settling occurring that I can't see. I mix in black H2Ocean salt mix buckets so it's easy to see undissolved granules, but I mix the entire bucket all night with an MJ1200 so it should be well mixed. Either way, I've definitely noticed what you describe. I'm using Tropic Marin Part B though, so maybe it is different.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check me if I'm wrong Randy, but is the cloudiness from Precipitation occurring? Would calcium in a low value not allow the precipitation/ cloudiness to occur?

What's the OP's calcium at?

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Mg angle I guess I was thinking of its "poisoning" effect on aragonite crystals but not considering direct precipitation. So that's not it :)

For lack of better explanation I guess I'm with @Myka – maybe I just don't pay much attention when I first put a new jug online and this isn't as uncommon as it seems.

Sorta stands to reason I guess....excitement is over once the new jugs are in place. I'm usually off to bed.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back