Recirculating skimmer setup / design

FTW-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has tried to use a skimmer pump instead of a standard pump as the feed for a recirculating skimmer?

Main goal is to have both ozone and CO2 scrubbing within the skimmer, would then have a carbon reactor from the skimmer outlet (to ensure ozone is filtered out).

Wondering if it would work to inject ozone into the recirculating pump, and connect the CO2 scrubber to the feed pump (thinking about the Varios2-skimmer-pump).

Does this make sense and what are your thoughts on this setup?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I do run an ozone system on my tank, but I have it feed directly into the skimmer and run a Stink Sink on top of the collection cup to deal with any stray ozone.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot really answer the question since I've never used a recirculating skimmer and am not sure what the difference is between a "standard" pump and a "skimmer" pump.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot really answer the question since I've never used a recirculating skimmer and am not sure what the difference is between a "standard" pump and a "skimmer" pump.
There is no difference in pumps lol… just the impeller is modified on a “regular” pump with a needle wheel…

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, a needle wheel skimmer. That I understand. :)

In this older thread, there is concern of ozone and scrubber media together, if that is part of the plan.

Back