Recommendation for a reverse osmosis system

  • Thread starter Thread starter Msamazing
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Msamazing

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2019
Messages
98
Reaction score
37
Location
Orange County, Ca
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 105 gallon, which includes the sump, reef tank and looking for a reserve osmosis filtration recommendation. Do you recommend 5 stage, 7 stage, etc. Also, which brand? Please feel free to send a link. I am not price sensitive.
 
The number and type of RODI stages is really determined by the source water you're feeding into it, and what's in that water. I would first start with your municipal water supply's website, and see if they have information on the sanitizer they use (typically chlorine or chloramine) and anything else that's in your water.

That said, I would suggest getting at least 5 stages because usually with 5 stages you're getting two DI stages. Having two or even three DI stages allows for more efficient use of the DI media, which saves money over time.

Popular RODI systems include BRS, SpectraPure, and I'd suggest Buckeye Hydro who's a Reef2Reef sponsor, and available here on R2R to help and answer questions about their RODI systems if/when needed.

@Buckeye Hydro

Good luck!
 
The number and type of RODI stages is really determined by the source water you're feeding into it, and what's in that water. I would first start with your municipal water supply's website, and see if they have information on the sanitizer they use (typically chlorine or chloramine) and anything else that's in your water.

That said, I would suggest getting at least 5 stages because usually with 5 stages you're getting two DI stages. Having two or even three DI stages allows for more efficient use of the DI media, which saves money over time.

Popular RODI systems include BRS, SpectraPure, and I'd suggest Buckeye Hydro who's a Reef2Reef sponsor, and available here on R2R to help and answer questions about their RODI systems if/when needed.

@Buckeye Hydro

Good luck!
It looks like they use chloramines (combination of chlorine and ammonia). Would you still recommend a 5 stage or more? Can you send a link showing the Buckeye hydro option?
 
It looks like they use chloramines (combination of chlorine and ammonia). Would you still recommend a 5 stage or more? Can you send a link showing the Buckeye hydro option?
I'm not going to make a recommendation on what unit to buy because I purchased my system so long ago I've forgotten what's important to look for when deciding on a system 🤪

I would leave that to experts like @Buckeye Hydro and others. I'll bet some of the R2R reefsquad will be able to make some solid recommendations.

Chloramine is more difficult to deal with than chlorine alone, but they do make media specifically for dealing with chloramine.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new