Recommendation on Nitrate Test Kit

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made the rookie mistake second time around and picked up the API master saltwater test kit. Here is my nitrate reading and not sure where it lands. I think it’s time to ditch it. Any one have a recommendation for a trustworthy brand? Thanks in advance.

AC00E4D2-AAD0-4040-AAA4-B38393888B27.jpeg
You have a little nitrate. It will be bright yellow if there is nothing detected. Make sure to shake the nitrate bottles well.

Anyway, this looks like some change. It's less than 15ppm.

Do you really care if you know the exact amount if it's less than 15ppm?

I mean i have the hanna nitrate high range--but no more reagent, can't get any, have other tests too, and i just think any test that can tell it's less 15ppm if just fine.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i'm sure they get thousands and thousands of emails from people of this same entitled mentality every day...... would you rather they take the time to answer all those or work on getting reagents to you??

Both.

2 wrongs don't make a right. If they can't supply the reagents in a reasonable time, they should expect questions and they should be going out of their way to answer them.

Wait until you run out of reagents and then see if you think the same way.

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until you run out of reagents and then see if you think the same way.
doubtful, i still have a low range checker, and know how to use it, i'm also not of the same generation as you who think you are entitled to everything and don't understand that the world doesn't revolve around you.

OP
OP
R

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh crap what did I start. Lol.
You have a little nitrate. It will be bright yellow if there is nothing detected. Make sure to shake the nitrate bottles well.

Anyway, this looks like some change. It's less than 15ppm.

Do you really care if you know the exact amount if it's less than 15ppm?

I mean i have the hanna nitrate high range--but no more reagent, can't get any, have other tests too, and i just think any test that can tell it's less 15ppm if just fine.
Youre right. My concern was related to accuracy. I got a good deal on the 2 API master test kits and they are driving me crazy. Tank (EVO 13.5 ) is about 65 days old. Went through diatoms, then the green algae on rocks. now I’m starting to see a good amount of hair algae and what appears to be the start of cyano (some spots in sand are turning red). Here is the reading I got on the phosphate test. I guess it’s about .25ppms. Let me know if I’m off base. As far as causes, I started using a small amount of reef roids for a ricordia and a candy cane coral. I suspect it’s either that or maybe the RoDI water I get from my LFS. Any recommendations to bring the phosphates down to slow down the algae growth? Or do I need to have more patience and let nature run it’s course through the ugly stage. Thanks again.

B1C9C144-36CA-46D8-95FF-FB450853A50F.jpeg

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh crap what did I start. Lol.

Youre right. My concern was related to accuracy. I got a good deal on the 2 API master test kits and they are driving me crazy. Tank (EVO 13.5 ) is about 65 days old. Went through diatoms, then the green algae on rocks. now I’m starting to see a good amount of hair algae and what appears to be the start of cyano (some spots in sand are turning red). Here is the reading I got on the phosphate test. I guess it’s about .25ppms. Let me know if I’m off base. As far as causes, I started using a small amount of reef roids for a ricordia and a candy cane coral. I suspect it’s either that or maybe the RoDI water I get from my LFS. Any recommendations to bring the phosphates down to slow down the algae growth? Or do I need to have more patience and let nature run it’s course through the ugly stage. Thanks again.

B1C9C144-36CA-46D8-95FF-FB450853A50F.jpeg

If you have issues and want precise, use hanna checkers for alkalinity and phosphate and nitrate when the reagent is available, otherwise use other nitrate tests that are better for accuracy and precision, totally agree...

I think the nitrate test and the calcium test and the alkalinity test are good enough as to API... And they're cheap... But the phosphate... totally agree, pretty useless... Hanna ultra low range is what i use there for phosphate. I also use the Hanna alakinity as a double check to the KH Director... But i used the API for a very long time and they're fine if your tank is doing well and you're just making sure things are good.

I like tropic marin to get phophate to below 0.05ppm: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/500-ml-elimi-phos-rapid-tropic-marin.html

Then i use rhow phosa to keep it there...

Last edited:

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ditched the Nyos because it seemed like the dropper bottle ran out very quick. After buying it three times, I would have half of the powder left, and the bottle would be empty. Just got a Hanna. Not sure if will be any cheaper though. I might be wrong, but Hanna powder reagents seem more expensive than I remember.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back