Recommendations for 20k MH bulb?

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, i currently have a crappy JBJ DE 150w 14K bulb running over my 20 gallon. i hate the color on although i do get great growth on my palys/zoas with it. i want to upgrade to a 20K bulb, any suggestions? i was thinking about the 20k Radium DE, any good?

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 250 watt radiums-Im not sure they run on all balasts though-but they are sick...I tried XM 14k for 6 months and had incredible growth but I like the color of the radium better

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't have many choices for 150w DE. phoenix 14k run on electronic should be pretty blue though. i haven't heard many good things about DE XM bulbs.

not sure of AB 20k makes a bulb in 150w...(looks more like a 14k bulb IMO)

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was thinkin phoenix but then saw surfn's tank and i love the color. i saw he was using a DE 250w 20k Radium and his tank looks great. they have 150w 20k radiums for sale on marine depot. i don't like the XM 20k, seems to be a bit dull to me.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was thinkin phoenix but then saw surfn's tank and i love the color. i saw he was using a DE 250w 20k Radium and his tank looks great. they have 150w 20k radiums for sale on marine depot. i don't like the XM 20k, seems to be a bit dull to me.

nope, i use SE.......totally different ball game. different ballast, different reflectors etc.

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o, i didn't no that. do you think it would be a totally different color than yours since its double ended?

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o, i didn't no that. do you think it would be a totally different color than yours since its double ended?

IME........you can't compare DE and SE bulbs.....even if they are made by the same company.

the SE XM20k and the DE XM20k look *nothing* alike in terms of blueness and intensity.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the phoenix 14k and did not like them. They just seemed to lack intensity. The color was nice but that was it.
I run xm now

fiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the phoenix 14k and did not like them. They just seemed to lack intensity. The color was nice but that was it.
I run xm now

The color it produces it what makes it so great, so if your looking for a light to really showcase the corals colors then the 14k phoenix is hard to beat.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the 14k was that my high light acros lost their colors that I wanted because 14k seriously lacked on the par. I then switched to 20k and got the colors back, now I run 10k with actinic supplementation and the color is even better.
So my experience with the 14k was a disappointment as far as the acro colors go. With the montipora it did seem to provide enough light with 1 exception My purple haze needed tons more light.

The color it produces it what makes it so great, so if your looking for a light to really showcase the corals colors then the 14k phoenix is hard to beat.

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giessemann megachrome blue. Its a awesome bulb, great color/ intensity. 2000 hours of stable burn time.

Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't keep acros and don't plan on it. i am only going to keep montipora as far as sps goes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back