Recommendations for lights for 6ft tank with mixed reef.

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building my 125 and have opportunity to buy 3 HYDRA 52’s HD with 72” HMS rail mount for $750.00. Lights are roughly 3 years old used on avg around 50% intensity per owner who seems responsible with his equipment.
My budget is preferably lower than 1k . I know I could buy 3 maybe 4 100 watt Hiperago lights and would cost $550. So my budget low point is 550 - 1000

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have hydras on all my mixed reefs. Have primes on my FOWLR tanks. Love them and their app. I bought Noo-Psyche lights @noopsyche K7 for my coral QT and Frag system. Much better priced. Haven’t looked lately but you might get three new lights for that price range.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my reefbreeders. They are an older model but they give me the look I like and are growing everything I have.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a really good price for three Hydra 52s if they're in good shape.

I really like my reefbreeders. They are an older model but they give me the look I like and are growing everything I have.
Seem to be great lights. 6 foot tank just makes it tough, as the longest Reefbreeders is 4 foot.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. I looked online and AI says their LEDs have an average 50,000 hour lifespan. If the person had them for 3 years and ran 12 hours a day that is 13,140 hours. He said he runs them at 50%. Either way as long as they were in good condition and taken care of once taken down I would assume these lights still have some life left in them. At the end of the day the Hydra 52 was a heck of a reef light. I know there are better options out now but I can’t afford that.
My lfs owner told me he has 3 ReefBreeder Photons 24” and a bar to tie them together for $900 used. Said they are not the app version but the remote. He says he likes them better. He is mostly into selling corals online and pretty successful at it . He has a lot of experience with lights . Said he recently had a couple hydras go out on him so he may be biased. Also he wants to make $900 also to be taken into account.
I believe I may go with the 3 hydra 52’s because they also come with all the mounting and rail.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back