Reconsidering Damsels

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my first fish 15 years ago was a Fiji blue devil damsel that proceeded to kill anything else I added.

I'd really like to add a Starkii and maybe two or three azures (Chrysiptera hemicyanea) to my 150. I have a harem of seven royal grammas that I'm worry may get picked up. There's a lot of cave and arching rockwork. My only other fish are a yellow coris wrasse, clown pair, juv. imperator angel, regal angel. Any thoughts? Would the damsels harass each other and leave the grammas alone?

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 damsels (6 azure / 4 pale) in my 150 and they just pick at each other (not much really). The pale ones are bigger and more aggressive (IMO) than the azure. During the day they just spread out amongst the rock work. They leave all my other fish alone.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 18damsels, 5 diff types in my 500g... 6 azure, 2 tuxedo, 2 orange tail, 4 blue sapphire and my favorite 4 Rollands. No problems with other fish.
Have 6 azures and 2 or 3 other damsels in my 200g... again, no problems

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my first fish 15 years ago was a Fiji blue devil damsel that proceeded to kill anything else I added.

I'd really like to add a Starkii and maybe two or three azures (Chrysiptera hemicyanea) to my 150. I have a harem of seven royal grammas that I'm worry may get picked up. There's a lot of cave and arching rockwork. My only other fish are a yellow coris wrasse, clown pair, juv. imperator angel, regal angel. Any thoughts? Would the damsels harass each other and leave the grammas alone?
My lfs has royal grammas and springers and rollands damsels and they all get along fine. I have a starcki damsel and he can be a bit bossy but not to the point of killing something or forcing it to hide, its a good thing hes pretty lol

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have good experiences with Azures and Springer’s. Starcki’s are amazing if you can get them. The Starcki is more aggressive than the Azures and Springer’s.

I ran into issues if I went with more than one damsel per 18” of tank length as they would pick off the weak ones until they hit that ratio.

U

User1

View Badges
Keys to successful keeping of Damsels is to set up the aquarium properly - this rule applies to coral and fish in general I guess but Damsels in the Chrysiptera classification are usually considered the least aggressive. Community friendly, etc. Azures, Talbots, Springers, etc. They like caves, nooks, crannies, and places to retreat and sleep. If there isn't enough private zones for the number you want to keep, well, things will get aggressive regardless and there will be turf wars and fights. On the other hand if you have more than enough there will only be the small scuffles of day to day life and not the fisticuff death matches.

I've personally mixed 3 azures with 3 talbots. @ca1ore has over 50+ damsels in his 450 gallon tank. Others here 18, and I chat with another board member and she has 12 in her 105 gallon. So I think there is success to be had if properly setup. I personally believe they add a splash of color and speed with a lot of activity at a great price point.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Azure damsel pair never bother anybody in my 65 gal tank. They are perfect reef fish. Bright, active, eat everything, cheap and breed all the time

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have azures, starki, tuxedos rollands, talbots and fusilier damsels in my tank.

They are all very well behaved, the tuxedos being the most boisterous if them all.

Great fish and highly underrated.

U

User1

View Badges
I have always wanted some Azures but thought they would be too aggressive.

Do members of the Chrysiptera family do better in pairs or groups? Will they School?

I've not witnessed any of mine hanging out in groups or in a large school say that you may see with Chromis. At least not in my aquarium. Now scuba diving and coming over a reef crest yes. Metric ton of them darting all over the corals but not like a school of bait fish, etc.

I thought I read on a forum they will group up if there is a larger fish present in the tank. Please don't hold me to that but that primal fear of a predator triggers them. Although I'm wondering just how long they will take to say meh - just another fish in our tank. But no - my groups of three never partied up that I at least witnessed. What they do after hours is another story though...

U

User1

View Badges
I think so. Clownfish are in the same family as damselfish and they are very closely related. Damsels can be hosted in 'nems and also develop a tolerance for their stings.

That is only the Domino's isn't it? Or three spot, forget its actual name but I've seen them when scuba diving. I think they are unique looking but not so much when they get larger and age.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back