Reconsidering Damsels

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rolland pair regularly lay eggs. Same success rate as with my clowns though.

Azures? I have a pair in my 40B and they just stay on opposite sides. If they cross their territories they fight otherwise they are fine. Do you have to get lucky with their gender or will they change?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always add enough of each species to essentially guarantee at least one of each gender.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This guy is with a pair of clowns. He is the sweetest fish in the tank. I know this is not the norm.
IMG_20190205_165056212.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love those fish! Not sure I could pull it off in my tank, though :(
This guy was in the LFS for about 6 months. It may explain some of his demeanor. Also the huge Watchman is the alpha in the tank.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy was in the LFS for about 6 months. It may explain some of his demeanor. Also the huge Watchman is the alpha in the tank.
I would love to add more fish to my tank, but I realistically cannot. I need to design my next house around the fish tank, acquire the property, convince my wife that this is a good plan, and execute. This should be a bulletproof plan, right?

"Dam* the torpedoes...full speed ahead!" :)

*the original post was an accurate quote...but the obscenity filter intervened!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to add more fish to my tank, but I realistically cannot. I need to design my next house around the fish tank, acquire the property, convince my wife that this is a good plan, and execute. This should be a bulletproof plan, right?

"Dam* the torpedoes...full speed ahead!" :)

*the original post was an accurate quote...but the obscenity filter intervened!
It's all in the timing when you ask;)

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm also a damsel fan, athough it's a sample size of 1. my springer is awesome and never aggressive towards anything.

that said, seems a lot of people still have bad damsel (even Chrysiptera) experiences, so do you guys add them last? tank just big enough? adding numerous damsels gives them something to hone in on? just bad actors from time to time?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that they prefer odd numbers. I can say that I've witnessed some odd behavior with four in my tank.

Don’t think it really matters.

I’ve around 65 chrysiptera in my tank and haven’t had even the smallest of issues with any of them. Amongst the meekest fish in my tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think it really matters.

I’ve around 65 chrysiptera in my tank and haven’t had even the smallest of issues with any of them. Amongst the meekest fish in my tank.
I agree. Two, three, four or five it does not mater. They just stay in and out of the rock in my tank.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Chrysiptera - no problems with my C. springeri, even towards the pink streaked wrasse when it shows in a corner or a small cleaner shrimp. Then again, my common clown is the dominant fish and occasionally chases it briefly to assert dominance.

Bright colors, open water swimmer, active, theoretically eats flatworms (haven't seen the last; flatworms have been going away, but tank in general is doing better and I also have a pink streaked wrasse that occasionally comes out so they may also be contributing). Next time I might try a yellow tailed Chrysiptera for the color.

OP
OP
jefra

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have azures, starki, tuxedos rollands, talbots and fusilier damsels in my tank.

They are all very well behaved, the tuxedos being the most boisterous if them all.

Great fish and highly underrated.

@GoldeneyeRet I'd never heard of fusilier damsels and had to go look them up. Really stunning! Do you have any pictures of yours?

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great advice! Have 2 Starki, 2 Rolland's and 4 Azure coming in next week.

Wow how did you get 2 Starcki. I could get any until the last two months and it’s too late for me because now I’m stocked [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back