Reconsidering Damsels

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue devil in a 28g with 2 clowns, a blenny, and a 6 line. He (or she?) is the runt of the litter so to speak...very cautiously moves around the tank and never messes with anyone...i think because my female clown likes to scare her. (For fun, it seems!)

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think! But not really at all, at least so far. The blenny (a lawnmower) let the wrasse know immediately that he is the boss, so I haven’t had any problems out of him. The damsel is low fish on the totem pole, so no problems there. My clowns get along great, and don’t have a nem to host/defend. The only aggression I ever see is when my damsel gets too close to the back of the tank where my clowns sleep. Im sure it helps that I have lots of shade and hiding spots for everyone, and I feed twice a day. No problems so far (but not yet a year old).

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same! i haven't yet experienced any bad damsels with a springers, azure, and hopefully the two starckis. gotta add talbots and rollands in the future.. and traceys if i can ever find them

i'm curious what everyone thinks will happen with these two. i suppose damsels don't pair quite like clowns, but i'm hoping there's a bit of a size difference and they can tolerate each other.

also why on earth is this fish not collected or often seen?
Chrysiptera flavipinnis

ChrysipteraFlavipinnis10534a.jpg

stumbled across it last night researching starckis and thought this was an abberant starcki or something at first. beautiful fish
Have you ever seen C. flavipinnis since, seen it today for the first time (online) and thought the same lol

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 6 azure (kupang) - I accidentally killed one. I don't want to talk about it. 3 Talbots and 2 lemons in my 210g. The large lemon is a meany to me, but okay with others. Just chases them around here and there. The other lemon is allowed near, so I think they may be a pair. Cannot wait to see the mating behaviors.
The talbots have their own areas, but great with all fish. The meekest are the azures and they each have an area, fairly close to each other actually. They do not bother anyone.
I had an azur in my coral qt for over 8 years and loved it.
I will always have damsels. They are just so fun. They were my favorite to watch out on the reef. Always in and out and defending their territory.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen C. flavipinnis since, seen it today for the first time (online) and thought the same lol

i just stumbled upon them one time and other than the fish existing, there wasn't much evidence of anyone having one on the major reefing sites. i think i came across someone on reefcentral that had them and it was definitely someone with connections

i don't really get it as their map on fishbase seems pretty broad in common collection areas

pic_Fis-28282.jpg

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just stumbled upon them one time and other than the fish existing, there wasn't much evidence of anyone having one on the major reefing sites. i think i came across someone on reefcentral that had them and it was definitely someone with connections

i don't really get it as their map on fishbase seems pretty broad in common collection areas

pic_Fis-28282.jpg
Thats really strange, maybe they are overlooked in the search for more desirable species, in terms of how much money collectors will get.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this aritcle, quite interesting, and suggests calling, the species we typically see as the springers damsel, the 'black sapphire damsel' instead, as to avoid confusion. Thought it was quite a cool name

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this aritcle, quite interesting, and suggests calling, the species we typically see as the springers damsel, the 'black sapphire damsel' instead, as to avoid confusion. Thought it was quite a cool name
I let Fiji Girl know, she was thrilled!
33543D8B-73B7-4E3D-8D10-E9E22AF01E80.jpeg

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simpler to revive an old thread than to post a new one. Anyone have luck keeping a group of Allen’s damsels? Think I’ve read previously suggested was 10+ 50+ gallon tank.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bali Aquarich breeds Fiji Blue Devils. Will the captive Bred ones be any better? They’re a nice alternative to C. Starcki or C. Flavipinnis.

Other than that, among the commonly available ones I love C. Hemicyanea and C. Talboti.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back