Red algae/slime in refugium

Subnautica

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2019
Messages
588
Reaction score
486
Location
Phoenix, AZ
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my HOB fuge has been infested by this red algae but I don't know what caused it. I haven't changed anything in my tank except Alk is ~10. Light schedule in the fuge wasn't changed either. What's going on?

1000134656.jpg
 
Hi all, my HOB fuge has been infested by this red algae but I don't know what caused it. I haven't changed anything in my tank except Alk is ~10. Light schedule in the fuge wasn't changed either. What's going on?

1000134656.jpg
If that is gracilaria hayi and there was even a small remnant on a coral or the frag plug of the coral, it could have gotten in the HOB fuge and then began to grow. That particular macroalgae can just take off and grow like crazy. The good news is that it takes up a lot of nutrients and that is what most folks want of a fuge.
 
If that is gracilaria hayi and there was even a small remnant on a coral or the frag plug of the coral, it could have gotten in the HOB fuge and then began to grow. That particular macroalgae can just take off and grow like crazy. The good news is that it takes up a lot of nutrients and that is what most folks want of a fuge.
No no it's not that one. Mine is like slime and not hard like the gracilaria. If I turn the light off for a few days it'll be gone.
 
Looks like Cyanobacteria to me too.
 
If possible add more flow through the fuge. I randomly have to pick out string/clumps from my fuge also. For some reason it loves my fuges. Most likely do to lower flow rate.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new