Red bump under clownfish's mouth.

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up two new clowns last Friday from a local fish store. The pair was already in the same tank and I purchased both. One is a Mocha Ocellaris and the other is a Midnight Ocellaris. There is some aggression from the Midnight, as he is quite a bit larger than the Mocha. I noticed a day later that one of the clowns had developed a slight red bump under its mouth. It then went away for a day and now today it has returned, slightly different in appearence. Both the clowns are eating excellent and swimming well, no labored breathing, no major symptoms. Possibly a injury due to a fight with the other clown? I have a video from Saturday that I will link. Looking for some help. I have many medications that were recommended to me on the forums available if they are needed. I am doing TTM now and will be moving them both into another tank in a hour. Thanks!

Here is the video

Here is an image taken from the video
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/177871212397985793/412408249862717444/Capture.JPG

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everything is potato quality, I can try again if anybody does need a better look! Theyre squirrelly little buggers :)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most common first aid for injuries is Epsom Salts. Direct from Humblefish's thread:

Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

If that doesn't take care of the "red bump" I like Nitrofuracin Green. It's antiseptic and antibacterial qualities are well known.

Nitrofurazone: Treats open wounds or red sores.

How To Treat - Nitrofurazone is an antibiotic, and an active ingredient found in Furan-2 and Nitrofuracin Green Powder. Nitrofurazone is great for treating open wounds, and especially those “red sores” commonly seen on butterflyfish and some angelfish.

Pros - Highly effective; found in a number of bacterial disease medications

Cons/Side Effects - Appetite suppression; it has been discontinued in the US (for human use), which may possibly affect its availability for the pet industry.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I use Prazi while the epsom salt is in the water or is that not recommended? One does have some stringy poop.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of mixing prazipro with other medications unless it is extremely urgent. You can get a bacterial bloom if mixing prazi with antibiotics.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, ill run some epsom salt this transfer then next transfer do some prazi.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once Prazipro is complete (both rounds), I would dose Kanaplex + Metroplex for 10 days just to play it safe.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Red bump still not getting any better. Been about 36 hours or so with epsom salt in the water. Should I pick up some Nitrofurazone? Possible lymphocystitis? Will he be able to fight it off? Will it return? He eats well, but hoping it will not overtake him. Strange how it went away for a day or so and then returned. Let me know! Thanks guys/gals.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish's advice is the way to go. 10-14 days of Kanaplex & Metroplex. This will treat both gram positive & negative infections. Sounds like the Epsom salts helped but not quite enough.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2: Seems to be getting worse? Red spot now larger in size, I did notice something sloughing off the red bump, but that has since stopped. Transferred once more. Adding prazi with 24 hours remaining in this transfer. When should I be concerned? Hes still eating, a lot. He eats probably twice as much food as the midnight, which is ridiculous for his size. If he stops eating would that be the call to stop TTM and do the metro/kana?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider adding a soak to the food. Metro + Focus (to bind the medication to the food) for 10 days to help with possible hemorrhagic septicemia caused by a viral infection which could have spread internally. Hence, the soaked food to help internally fight the infection.

^^ Agree

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 3: He doesnt seem to be doing too hot. Seems almost tired? He still eats, but he will sometimes just hang out in one spot and the midnight will come bump him to get him to move. Kind of odd. Transfer soon, did prazi in the last one. Thinking about doing a 3 day transfer with both metro/kana maybe to see if he improves in that short time, then transfer again, prazi again, then 10-14 more days in final transfer of metro/kana. Sound like a good idea or no? Thanks. The midnight is doing excellent.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to find seachem focus around me but no luck, ordered some off amazon, that gets here Tuesday.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Stingray122 I think I would hit him with Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan-2. That trio covers a wide range of bacterial disease issues.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 4: Dosed metro/kana into the water. About 1 day so far of treatment. What would be my next course of action? I will be transferring again on Wednesday. The pair seems to still have stringy poop, which I believe prazi didn't help. I have seachem focus coming in the mail tomorrow along with some Furan-2. Should I dose all three? Or dose a select one and then use focus to get the metro internally ingested? Let me know. New photos attached, bump has faded into a patch of red. He is eating, swimming well, breathing at the same rate as the Midnight so I believe all is good there. Hasn't effected him too much yet, although he is less active than the Midnight, but this makes sense to me as he as probably not feeling too well. Thanks everyone! I will be at a loss right now without you.

20180219_213759.jpg 20180219_213803.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the stringy poop white or brown?
If they were my fish, I'd follow Humblefish's advice to dose them with the trifecta: metro+kanaplex+Furan2 into the tank. And then feed them the soaked food+metro+focus. Antibiotics are very slow acting in fish. Your fish's immune systems are fighting the disease. Let's not let up even for a second.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, another update. My fish has improved very well in the last few days using the furan-2, metro, and kana combo. I have also been feeding them metro soaked food with focus. The red patch of skin is now more milder pinkish skin tone color, with parts of it now becoming orange again. Going to continue for probably 10-14 more days of this depending on what I'm seeing and multiple days afterwords to be safe. Thanks for the help! They are in the stages following TTM now, and I have added a sponge filter to the tank. Can I add Dr. Tims One and Only to the sponge or are the antibiotics going to inhibit the growth of the bacteria to the point where it would not be worth while? I ruined both of my ammonia badges by soaking them in bleach, whoops :(. Going to pick one up tomorrow. Let me know if its worth adding Tim's to help control ammonia! If not Ill just do some daily WC. Thanks for everything!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak the sponge filters with Dr. Tims or BioSpira for a couple of hours in a container. Then also dose the tank. The Ammonia eating bacteria is pretty tough.

Back