Red clam shell!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Magnus042
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Magnus042

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 9, 2019
Messages
72
Reaction score
34
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does anyone know why my Mimosa clam is bright red wherever there is new growth? It’s healthy and happy but I’ve never seen this before and I’m so curious!
9CB78F53-FE4A-4B68-8D94-C0538F3E9C1C.jpeg
 
My only guess is a type of algae is growing on it
 
Ok so it’s not ON the clam. The new growth of the shell itself is red/orange. It’s not sponge or cyano or coralline, it’s the shell itself
 
Sure looks like algae to me. Have you tried to scrape it with your finger nail?
 
Guys... I’ve been reefing for 20 years. It’s not cyano! You can’t scrape it off. The shell itself is orange. Even along the top edge of the shell. I’ve had the clam for more than 6 months so it’s certainly new growth. Interestingly, the scutes are the normal white/grey color
 
It’s looks like this but much deeper and more vibrant. What causes this?
AFF241F5-2EA1-4141-AF67-212E92856766.jpeg
 
Guys... I’ve been reefing for 20 years. It’s not cyano! You can’t scrape it off. The shell itself is orange. Even along the top edge of the shell. I’ve had the clam for more than 6 months so it’s certainly new growth. Interestingly, the scutes are the normal white/grey color
Have you tried scraping it off?
 
Maybe you got a color morph.
 
I see where the part is orange but there is cyano on the shell, I think thats what's getting people confused
 
Maybe it is picking up some mineral making it colored. Interesting. Not seen it in any of mine before. Healthy? Cool genetic quirk?
 
Maybe it is picking up some mineral making it colored. Interesting. Not seen it in any of mine before. Healthy? Cool genetic quirk?

+1 I was also thinking maybe there is something in OPs water that it uses to build its shell coloring it
 
Maybe it is picking up some mineral making it colored. Interesting. Not seen it in any of mine before. Healthy? Cool genetic quirk?
This is the kind of thing I want to discuss! Anyone have any ideas along these lines?
 
Neat, maybe some byproduct of the hybrid? Two semi-related but unhelpful questions: whys the clam not open? And where’d you score a mimosa!?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new