Red Coris wrasse color change hasn’t happened yet. I have a 300 gallon tank with about 12 fish. The tank has been set up for about 4 years now.

Marty Orourke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gallon Fowler tank set up for 4 years now and have had this Red Coris wrasse for over three years now in the tank. All my fish have grown but the wrasse has not gone through any color change what so ever. He was about 3” when I bought him and is now about 5” long with no color change what so ever. All my fish eat great and all get along. I feed the krill I break up and flake food. I also cut up fresh frozen shrimp which they all eat. Nothing is ever in eaten in my tank. I had always thought it takes about three years for the change to happen but with growth in all my fish and being in a 300 gallon tank I would have thought it would happen by now. If they change at 3 years old and I had bought him probably about a year old then after 3 years in my big tank and feeding the way I have wouldn’t you think it should have already happened or can he just grow and never have the color change? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected] if anyone wants to get in touch about it. Thanks for any help.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gallon Fowler tank set up for 4 years now and have had this Red Coris wrasse for over three years now in the tank. All my fish have grown but the wrasse has not gone through any color change what so ever. He was about 3” when I bought him and is now about 5” long with no color change what so ever. All my fish eat great and all get along. I feed the krill I break up and flake food. I also cut up fresh frozen shrimp which they all eat. Nothing is ever in eaten in my tank. I had always thought it takes about three years for the change to happen but with growth in all my fish and being in a 300 gallon tank I would have thought it would happen by now. If they change at 3 years old and I had bought him probably about a year old then after 3 years in my big tank and feeding the way I have wouldn’t you think it should have already happened or can he just grow and never have the color change? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected] if anyone wants to get in touch about it. Thanks for any help.
Coris wrasses tend to grow and the colour changing is when they mature to adult females - What we all believe to be male Red Coris’ is actually just the adult female stage. The colour change can occur at almost any point but is usually caused sooner if they are the boss of the wrasses. It can take several years for them to even start showing the changing colour but then how long it takes to finish could be anywhere from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 years.

Feeding is nothing to do with it, it’s simply just time and patience :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back