Red Coris Wrasse

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for info on red coris wrasse in reef setting. Current tank is 100 gallon mixed reef. I'm not worried about snails and invertebrates,more on whether they'll be too aggressive with other fish.

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Formosa Wrasse, a close relative to Red Coris. Mine is close to 6.5 to 7 inch now and is almost changed to adult color pattern. I have him for almost two years and started as a juvenile. I have a 100 gallon (48"x24"20") as well and he is not aggressive to my other tangs or clown. Only bad thing is you need to glue everything to live rock. He will move small rubbles or corals all over if not gluing them.

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for info on red coris wrasse in reef setting. Current tank is 100 gallon mixed reef. I'm not worried about snails and invertebrates,more on whether they'll be too aggressive with other fish.
I have a non-Reef safe Jansens wrasse. I plan on getting a couple of more non-Reef safe wrasses. Here are the trade offs. You can’t keep a clean up crew or shrimp because the wrasses eat them. You need a plan besides CUC for algae control. You need a 4 inch sand bed because wrasses bury themselves in tha sand at night to sleep. As far as combatability with other fish, your fine, and they don’t bother corals. Forget about clams. Also only large pieces of rockwork. They like to rearrange the smaller stuff.

Is it worth it? Well, I like wrasses so yes.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll eat snails and crabs and other small inverts and they LOVE to move frags and re-aquascape your tank for you. Loved mine though, nonetheless.

OP
OP
100gallonreefer

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your replies. Red Coris has always been on my wish list among other wrasses. I think the trade off for keeping it are worth it. My biggest concern will be quarantine for it since they appear to be delicate until established in a tank. How did you three QT yours?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your replies. Red Coris has always been on my wish list among other wrasses. I think the trade off for keeping it are worth it. My biggest concern will be quarantine for it since they appear to be delicate until established in a tank. How did you three QT yours?
I bought mine established from another hobbyist and at the time did not qt. That’s actually one reason I switched to qt— tank got velvet and she was toast quickly

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0056.JPG
For a week or so mine flipped rocks, corals then he settled into the tank and became a model citizen. He leaves the snails and hermits alone and doesn't bother any other fish at all. At first he would only eat half clams then after watching the other fish for a month or so he started munching away on all frozen foods and after about 4 months he started eating pellets.

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one in a fish only with hermits and snails. Never bothered them but would flip small rocks looking for food. Beautiful fish

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't QT my wrasse while he was still young. After a year or so I had an ich outbreak and I treated with coppersafe/prazipro. Did fine in copper prazi treatment. I have also TTM with this Wrasse. Remember to have a small container fill with sand for him to sleep while QT.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a red coris for years, years ago. Absolutely not a problem with other fish, although I didn't keep anything closer related than a fairy wrasse, which he ignored. Clean up crew was not a problem, don't plan on peppermint shrimp, but you fish selection is pretty limited if you want those. Mine might eat hermits and snails sporadically, but most were fine for days or weeks. Very different from a harlequin tusk, which attacked new hermits and snails in seconds. More like keeping coral with a flame angel. Absolutely would have another if I had a large deep sandbed, bare bottom right now.

OP
OP
100gallonreefer

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, appreciate all the info and replies from all. I’m going to get one. Wish me luck with QT!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back