red haddoni white patch

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was adding my final carpet anemone (green gigantea not bleached!) and noticed my red/pink haddoni hasn't been happy for the past week or so. I just thought it was the flow since it's a bit high for him due to housing gigs. He didn't have this patch last night but I noticed a white patch near his mouth and something on it like it burned off or something. Their tentacles can't harm them right? I had a mini maxi that got nailed by a rock and had a hole in him through his mouth to foot but I didn't know it was this bad until today when I pulled him out. Do you think this caused it maybe she is sick? I'm not entirely sure because she is still sticky and opening decently. Her mouth isn't gaping but it's open a little bit. I have cipro and a hospital tank if need be. It almost looks like she is starting to bleach? I did lower my lights a few weeks ago but brought them back up a few days and ago and raised them even more now. I have a 24" ATI 8 bulb fixture on a 30x30x24 cube. Currently the fixture is 12" off the water surface and maybe that was too much for her. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. I also noticed a small white bump in the area and one of my many sexy shrimp was on that area cleaning or eating it.

Attachments

• red haddoni white patch (2).jpg
    red haddoni white patch (2).jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 170
  • red haddoni white patch (3).jpg
    red haddoni white patch (3).jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 178
  • red haddoni white patch bump.jpg
    red haddoni white patch bump.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 159
  • red haddoni white patch.jpg
    red haddoni white patch.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 154
OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She took a turn for the worse at some point last night. I woke up this morning to find her floating around my tank and her tentacles not sticky at all. Obviously something is wrong and it was probably the mini maxi or something else who knows. Either way I had to remove her and place her in a 10 gallon hospital tank. My aquaclear 70 was too powerful so right now it's a heat and her in the 10 gallon with no flow for the time being. Once I'm out of work I'll go grab a smaller filter and start dosing cirpo and pray it works. I would seriously hate to lose this beautiful red/pink baby.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind you're not going to want to run anything in the filter if you're using Cipro for treatment and to dose the cipro right at lights out.

Good luck, hope it pulls through.

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm not running lights on the hospital tank. I'll be running a sponge in the filter only. No carbon or media though.

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I see he's doing a bit better I'll acclimate him back to the lights with 2 24 watt t5's which is what I have available.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a sponge is small enough to remove any of the cipro, but I typically just run a small powerhead blocked off by some eggcrate when I go from Qt to Rx along with the heater. I generally just make an upside-down "L" shape with the egg crate to block off the area, and keep a coffee mug in to make double sure the bottom can't slide out.

Probably not your first rodeo, but don't go too long without any lights at all, as I believe firmly the lights give them the energy they need to help in the recovery process. Maybe even go 4 on 20 off, just so it gets something. for the first few days.

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no filter? Maybe I'll go that route. Actually this is my first treatment. I have to grab some egg crate later on and I have maxi jet at home I'll use. What do you mean by the upside down L with the egg crate? Can you elaborate?

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No filter IMO. Let me see if I have a picture of the eggcrate in my files somewhere

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Problems, let's start with the picture. I didn't have one from previously but here is exactly what I use.

KVzzum5.jpg

I leave the eggcrate that goes into the tank just long enough so I can thread it through a second horizontal piece. I then sit something on top of that horizontal piece like a mug....etc Something heavy enough so that if/when the Nem tries to move the top won't move. For the bottom I put a coffee mug inside the tank, inside the small section created, so again the nem can't push through the egg crate. So inside that small section I create, the following items are housed: Heater, Small Powerhead, Coffee Mug. Outside that section in the rest of the tank I have whatever I'm using for the nem to set on (Since I do Mags I use a second coffee Mug) and the nem themselves, that's it. I keep the flow very moderate, just enough to move the tentacles some, even for my Mags that prefer high flow.

I'm tired of linking to the Sticky on the other forum in which I'm half of the OP anyways and need to move it over here, so let me make a new thread on these forums and I will tag you in it in just a few minutes.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep but I had to remove it from my system unfortunately

Did you treat it ? Or just removing it improved things? Personally, have never had good luck mixing S. haddonis with other species.

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I treated it with cipro for a week just in case and then moved it to a LFS who then sold it to a reefer with a 300g system for quadruple the amount they gave me :). Yeah he wasn't fairing to well with the flow in my tank. I have mostly gigs, 3 to be exact, some mini maxis floating around and a sweet gonzo yellow sunburst bta (I've seen some people call them lemon drops however they don't have the traditional red foot like the original).

zup33r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to haddon's and mine is on the move for some reason. I'm trying to figure why?

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually don't move if you place them in a good spot. Try and dig a small hole in the sand where there isn't too much flow and he should stay if it's a good area.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back