Red head Solon with naoko?

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get a red head Solon and a naoko wrasse but I want more opinions of if it would work. I have a 75 gallon so kind of on the small side for them, but I’d be adding them at the same time, as well as using separate acclimating boxes for them. They’re pretty far apart on the wrasse compatibility chart and seem to have similar aggression levels so I think it would work but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both C. naokae and C. solorensis can be pugnacious towards other fairy wrasses I wouldn't recommend putting those two together in a 75g. I've seen C. naokae's get pretty darn aggressive once established, I'd pass on it so you'll have more options for future fairy wrasse additions.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about eat breakfast.
Evolved left for personal reasons. He does check that email above.

They are both missed.

The guy above seems pretty knowledgeable about wrasses. Do you need some wrasse advice?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both C. naokae and C. solorensis can be pugnacious towards other fairy wrasses I wouldn't recommend putting those two together in a 75g. I've seen C. naokae's get pretty darn aggressive once established, I'd pass on it so you'll have more options for future fairy wrasse additions.
I agree with this - Mine still chills in my nano (No spasm attacks or anything) but will flash every so often in a circle around my pink streak. He doesn’t do it as often as my first did though, my first was my favourite wrasse and the reason why I always want a naoko in my large tanks. He would go from one end of my 4’ tank to the other flashing constantly and “dive bombing” onto my clowns and other fish. These are truly big character fish and every one has their own personality - My two Lubbock’s act differently to eachother, one is almost never front and center the other is always in the front. So don’t limit yourself to two aggressive wrasse and go into the world and look at the similar but not as aggressive ones (Longfin “sea fighter” fairies were my second option over my naoko).

Also, SaltyT and SaltyHog know quite a bit about wrasses. I get a lot of what I learn from personal experience with having kept 15-16 wrasses in the past (8 in the present) and the rest which is actually quite a bit from those two so if ever in need I recommend following their advice.

Last edited:

steven m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get a red head Solon and a naoko wrasse but I want more opinions of if it would work. I have a 75 gallon so kind of on the small side for them, but I’d be adding them at the same time, as well as using separate acclimating boxes for them. They’re pretty far apart on the wrasse compatibility chart and seem to have similar aggression levels so I think it would work but any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Naoko are more aggressive, go with one that you like more. But if you choose the Solon wrasse you can add other types like a pintail in.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naoko are more aggressive, go with one that you like more. But if you choose the Solon wrasse you can add other types like a pintail in.
Actually, Solon and naokos are as aggressive as eachother. My naoko is in a 20g tank with a blue star leopard and a pink streak, that aggressive behaviour they have is nonexistent, I have owned two and neither of them have been aggressive with other wrasses or fish for that matter. Then again, I’ve been more than just lucky with my wrasse collection (And fish collection to be honest). I think I’m getting away with my wrasse collection due to other “aggressive” fish in the tank though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back