Red Mangrove Grow Out

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In turn this may turn to a build thread... alas as of now I am going to share with you all my trials in receiving and setting up a mangrove grow out!

As you may know mangroves are so key to the natural environment, but to us they are aesthetically pleasing and can bring an fun and interesting style of nutrient export to our systems! For myself I have always loved them, and really wanted to set up a small grow out system for a couple mangroves. I do want to make this pleasing to the eye and fun to have and watch near my current lagoon system. In time I hope to set up a larger system where I can plant these very mangroves and have them in a system.

I found this link from a friend of mine who referred it to me, and I am trying it so you do not have to and you can decide whether it is worth it or not here is the link...

I should be receiving 3- 20-24" tall mangroves... this should be INTERESTING!

Reaching out to you all because I want to find a cool container to grow them out in next to my tank, and also need to find a grow light for them as well! Hope we can build a fun thread here, and lets hear from you all with experience keeping mangroves!

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something more unusual for short term might be a glass vase from Hobby Lobby or other places. They have some really wide cylinders.

I think cylinders are always where mangroves truly shine.

For short term, depending on root mass, Petco has 40 breeders on sale often for $50.

Good Luck.
-Andrew

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something more unusual for short term might be a glass vase from Hobby Lobby or other places. They have some really wide cylinders.

I think cylinders are always where mangroves truly shine.

For short term, depending on root mass, Petco has 40 breeders on sale often for $50.

Good Luck.
-Andrew
Oh I LOVE THAT!!!!

Going to head there tomorrow 100% thank you!

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I LOVE THAT!!!!

Going to head there tomorrow 100% thank you!
Make sure to be aware of the glass thickness. Some of the pieces aren’t rated to be full of water. Most of them are fine. they have some large cylinders probably intended for pasta I was looking at this week that might be large enough, for Just one. I was considering placing my pods in one. The wider options intended as vases or other weird things.

Remember to wash thoroughly. I’ve yet to have any issues, but you never know what might get sprayed or splashed on the items between you and China.

-Andrew

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to be aware of the glass thickness. Some of the pieces aren’t rated to be full of water. Most of them are fine. they have some large cylinders probably intended for pasta I was looking at this week that might be large enough, for Just one. I was considering placing my pods in one. The wider options intended as vases or other weird things.

Remember to wash thoroughly. I’ve yet to have any issues, but you never know what might get sprayed or splashed on the items between you and China.

-Andrew
For sure will go for the thickest option!

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure will go for the thickest option!
You don’t need to do that, they have some thick stuff. Just pay attention and use your best judgement. Thankfully they’re pretty affordable and if you break one they have plenty of other options.

104B22AA-CE06-4BCE-91AB-D3A43CCE1DF9.jpeg

The lids can be drilled and fit with transparent material or screen or whatever. They’re bamboo or plastic or metal.

7C3991C6-9434-4A7B-A63C-3EB8F7922C3E.jpeg

These all are fine for water. I think the large ones could be used for one mangrove each if they have a solid root ball already. A foam disk or stake in sand/stone can be used to hold the piece centered as it grows.

I plan to get a few of these to grow macro algae and phyto and zoo plankton and pods. probably as a shelf.

-Andrew

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the hobby lobby I checked out did not have neither the selection I was hoping for... sadly the search continues..

As for the mangroves though they arrived and they look pretty dang good! Plopped them into a vase with RODI water to hold them until I have all the needed materials. Here they are!

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 5.24.37 PM.png

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look good so far! We're they being grown in freshwater before they were shipped then?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my Mangrove. Keep in mind Mangroves are competing with corals for ammonium and magnesium. You mihgt find this paper informative.

MAM Mangrove 20210429_155516050.jpg

MAM Mangrove 20210429_155544940.jpg

Keep in mind the roots and pneumatophores will lock you aquascaping together. Thought should be given to how the aquascaping may be locked together and they may need periodic trimming to control them.

MAM Mangrove 20210401_172625681.jpg

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Timfish I'm getting a 403 Forbidden when I go to click on your link. Can you try sharing the link again, along with the title and authors of the paper?

Thanks!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Timfish I'm getting a 403 Forbidden . . .

Thanks!

Sure!

Curious, I always check links and I just checked this one again and it's working on my laptop. Here's two links you can copy and paste. First is as it shows in my address bar, second is a search phrase with the primary author's name and paper title that should pull it up too. (To keep the software from creating a link I put a space in the address between the forward slashes and the rest of the address, you'll need to delete the space when you copy it into your address bar>)

https:// academic.oup.com/treephys/article/30/9/1148/1641261

Nutrition of mangroves Ruth Reef

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back