i don't want sea lettuce because I've heard it clogs every thing
so is red ogo good or bad for a refugium

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you get a good light (blue coral style lights are a good choice)

jshriev_157

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same position. I'm starting my Reef tank and The Barn has no Cheto. I'm considering the Red Ogo only because that's all they have to offer. I know nothing about it and I'm not sure if it will be good for my reefer 350 that I plan on loading up with all kinds of corals! I am cycling the tank now, so I really want to get my refugium going. thoughts please..

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same position. I'm starting my Reef tank and The Barn has no Cheto. I'm considering the Red Ogo only because that's all they have to offer. I know nothing about it and I'm not sure if it will be good for my reefer 350 that I plan on loading up with all kinds of corals! I am cycling the tank now, so I really want to get my refugium going. thoughts please..

It works. You just have to get a good strong light (not some cheap flimsy grow light or a white bulb, but something with strong wide blue spectrum that that be suitable for things like coral, and replace essential trace elements for the algae.

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 Red Ogo
IMG_1961.jpeg

Just at 1 month later

IMG_2054.jpeg

jshriev_157

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! today is my day 1 with it. Do you keep your light on constantly? I have the AI prime and I hope to have the same success as you. I have the green stuff from algae barn to feed the tank each day. I hope the Pods and OGO like it! Yours look great. Nice job!!

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is under a Kessil a360x preset refugium setting. About 12 hrs/day. I just took off the focus reflector so we’ll see if the less intense focused light has much of a difference. I dumped pods and photo (green stuff) in the tank on the regular as well

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is under a Kessil a360x preset refugium setting. About 12 hrs/day. I just took off the focus reflector so we’ll see if the less intense focused light has much of a difference. I dumped pods and photo (green stuff) in the tank on the regular as well
I have this one for my fuge Do you think it will be happy under it? What setting would you recommend. Grow?

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note, I had ogo in the DP. Loved its colors, the visual interest, and it did quite well. Then my snails finished with my outbreak of GHA way back when and they turned their beady gazes to the ogo (had about a baseball-sized bunch placed throughout the tank) as well as some pom-pom. I've since tuned my seaweed supplemental feeding upwards to compensate for their appetite. Still. All of my lovely red macroalgae is gone. :(

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back