OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d suggest aggressive dipping of everything.
I’m in the same boat as they are in my invert QT, and have snails and crabs that need to be moved over...

I’ll probably over aggresivly dose the tank multiple days in a row prior to moving them, in addition to actually dipping all the snails and crabs in a heavy FWE dip...

About all you really can do in my mind unfortunately.
What about eggs? Or is that a concern?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the assumption that KZ Flatworm stop doesn’t actually effect the flatworms but instead helps the corals better fight them off....

Yeah,
I was under the impression that KZ Flatworm just stops flatworms from feeding on acro colonies.

Guys, I'm cluesless... :confused:

unless a melanurus wrasse, would do the job???

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh........***. how is it I've nearly battle every fricken pest there is, I have the worst luck. Byropsis, hydroids, now this.....

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJ @vetteguy53081 Any suggestions of how I go about this coral/invert qt tank?

Also, anyone know if urchins or shrimp a means of transportation for these flatworms?

@Crabs McJones, can you tag lionfishlair, see if he can shed any light on these, as they successfully made it throw a 5x dose of fwe

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish lair hasn't been on the site for quite some time.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since reefsquad doesnt have much more insight on this, I have an idea, @GoVols what do you think of this?

I have my other qt tank empty and sterile currently, waiting for next batch of fish to come out of copper eventually. Tank is same volume as my invert/coral qt tank.

What if I filled my qt1 tank, added couple piece of live rock from my displays to it. Then transfer the coral I'm really trying to get out of that invert/coral qt tank. Dip prior to entering qt1, and visually observe for flatworms? What do you think?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since reefsquad doesnt have much more insight on this, I have an idea, @GoVols what do you think of this?

I have my other qt tank empty and sterile currently, waiting for next batch of fish to come out of copper eventually. Tank is same volume as my invert/coral qt tank.

What if I filled my qt1 tank, added couple piece of live rock from my displays to it. Then transfer the coral I'm really trying to get out of that invert/coral qt tank. Dip prior to entering qt1, and visually observe for flatworms? What do you think?
Are the corals done with their 76 days?
If so you could even add a 6-line wrasse, to deal with any stragglers.
Think that’s why I’m gonna do the more I think about it.

Also, figured I’d mention, yesterday I dosed my 75G QT tank with 325G worth of FWE (5drops per gallon)
I still have visible flatworms on the glass today.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the corals done with their 76 days?
If so you could even add a 6-line wrasse, to deal with any stragglers.
Think that’s why I’m gonna do the more I think about it.

Also, figured I’d mention, yesterday I dosed my 75G QT tank with 325G worth of FWE (5drops per gallon)
I still have visible flatworms on the glass today.
Sounds like the same outcome as I had....only some of coral etc are done their 76days.

I know I could just add a Maderine or pipe fish or wrasse, but then it resets everything...

I'm just think of ideas. If I did trasfer them into a sterile new tank. How long would it take for flatworms to appear, if the did sneak past a dip in the sterile tank?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yea, and seriously, I wouldn't gamble with wrasse. I literally, LITERALLY bought one of EVERY single creature that I had even heard a rumor about. Melanarus, green, mystery, 6 line, even a blue devil damsel. They don't touch the friggen things. My blue velvet was the only one that chowed down, and no where nearly fast enough. Good luck finding one, though. And now I have to catch and relocate a bunch of wrasse so that I can treat the tank without killing them

Many of those you listed are hit or miss. Blue devils won't eat them but the sapphire blue/ springeri damsels will sometimes. Also hit or miss.

Dusky wrasse is pretty much a sure thing, but tough to locate and not very pretty looking.

I was under the assumption that KZ Flatworm stop doesn’t actually effect the flatworms but instead helps the corals better fight them off....
Yeah,
I was under the impression that KZ Flatworm just stops flatworms from feeding on acro colonies.

Guys, I'm cluesless... :confused:

unless a melanurus wrasse, would do the job???

This thread is talking about planaria not AEFW... 2 completely different things. Planaria do not cause damage to corals or anything else, just unsightly if left unchecked.

Sounds like the same outcome as I had....only some of coral etc are done their 76days.

I know I could just add a Maderine or pipe fish or wrasse, but then it resets everything...

I'm just think of ideas. If I did trasfer them into a sterile new tank. How long would it take for flatworms to appear, if the did sneak past a dip in the sterile tank?
Dusky wrasse is pretty much a sure thing, but tough to locate and not very pretty looking.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea I’m just thinking aloud. waiting the full 76 days to avoid ich and then having the wrasse deal with the flatworms doesn’t seem like a terrible idea, especially since no chemical treatments are working...

I’m adding a pair of dragon pipefish to the display just for flatworm control should any make it up there.... will also have wrasses but they are more for color than pests.

This thread is talking about planaria not AEFW... 2 completely different things. Planaria do not cause damage to corals or anything else, just unsightly if left unchecked.
m
yes but the mention of using KZ FLATWORM STOP was mentioned and I’m questioning if that product would have any effect on planeria since it doesn’t actually do anything to flatworms just helps corals fight off AEWF (so in my mind the product is useless)
Hence why I mentioned it and asked the question.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of those you listed are hit or miss. Blue devils won't eat them but the sapphire blue/ springeri damsels will sometimes. Also hit or miss.

Thing is, I'm just trying to avoid introduction, if I can prevent it.

But some of my expensive sps frags are done there 76 days, and I need to trasfer, as my qt tank is not near as stable, or well lit compared to my DT. Not sure why, but as soon as I trafer stuff to my display they love it, compared to the qt tank.

I do have a yellow coris and melanarus in the DT right now. And a leapord and radiant coming through qt right now...

I'm just think wether I just bit the bullet and trader stuff over, or what. As FWE dint work.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’m just thinking aloud. waiting the full 76 days to avoid ich and then having the wrasse deal with the flatworms doesn’t seem like a terrible idea, especially since no chemical treatments are working...

I’m adding a pair of dragon pipefish to the display just for flatworm control should any make it up there.... will also have wrasses but they are more for color than pests.

yes but the mention of using KZ FLATWORM STOP was mentioned and I’m questioning if that product would have any effect on planeria since it doesn’t actually do anything to flatworms just helps corals fight off AEWF (so in my mind the product is useless)
Hence why I mentioned it and asked the question.

Pipe fish and mandarin seems sweet. But they to would need to be QT if the flatworms got into my DT, and that in its self would also be a mission to QT those two lol.. ugh

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is, I'm just trying to avoid introduction, if I can prevent it.

But some of my expensive sps frags are done there 76 days, and I need to trasfer, as my qt tank is not near as stable, or well lit compared to my DT. Not sure why, but as soon as I trafer stuff to my display they love it, compared to the qt tank.

I do have a yellow coris and melanarus in the DT right now. And a leapord and radiant coming through qt right now...

I'm just think wether I just bit the bullet and trader stuff over, or what. As FWE dint work.
I see. From what I know about the life cycle their eggs hatch in five days or less. Which means if there are eggs on what your moving you would have to dip to kill whats there, move them to a pest free environment for 6 days and dip again on that 6th day before moving them back into your display.

I would think eggs would be laid on some hard surface. Under the frag glue or plug or something similar. So removing the coral itself from whatever it is on should help.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipe fish and mandarin seems sweet. But they to would need to be QT if the flatworms got into my DT, and that in its self would also be a mission to QT those two lol.. ugh
Personally I’ve been getting ALL my fish from TSM Aquatics here in NJ (Also a R2R sponsor) and they have an amazing staff that does all the fish QT before I buy it, and all the fish are conditioned and eat right away so no issue there.

Pyromofyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trouble with anecdotal evidence is, I heard the same thing, equally as enthusiastic, somewhere along the way with each wrasse I bought, even the blue devil. I even considered trying a green mandarin, because a few people SWORE theirs ate them. My wrasse probably do eat one or two, here and there, but once you have a large enough infestation, you'd need a small army to keep up. The ONLY specimen that truly did some real damage from day one was my blue velvet nudibranc, and she found her way into a covered powerhead before the planaria numbers dropped low enough to be safe to try to chemically eliminate.

My takeaway, and hopefully anyone else's who reads this, is to QT always, and when dealing with planaria, attack hard, early, and double tap. I have pretty much a full teardown and multistep isolation/treatment/drain and fill ahead of me, all to keep the 7 or 8 different wrasse (and blue devil), and of course all my other livestock, from being poisoned when I nuke my tank.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’ve been getting ALL my fish from TSM Aquatics here in NJ (Also a R2R sponsor) and they have an amazing staff that does all the fish QT before I buy it, and all the fish are conditioned and eat right away so no issue there.
Well, as a Canadian, I dont have the luxury of ordering from good reputable places in the states, as no cross boarder shipping, right. So that sucks I loose out on all the US retailers :(

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fully understand which species that this thread is about.

That's why my thoughts were that KZ Flatworm Stop, would not do the job.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I thought KZ Flatworm stop was for planaria. I did mention I never used it. Is there no other product out there other than flatworm exit?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back