13   0   0
Blue velvet nudibranch will eat them for sure. Lunare and melanurus likelihood

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For coral QT, I have always used lugols and it works 100 percent of the time.

A few drops in small container enough to see the yellow ting along with coral RX.

Sam.
Iodine kills flatworms? I find that somewhat hard to believe, but at this point I’ll try anything....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Once again, using a fish in an invert QT tank is not possible as it defeats the purpose of QT.
That’s why i suggested nudibranch. Berghia good too but they take too long imo

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nudibranch I'd have a terrible time tracking down in Canada, because we suck, dont have near the amount of suppliers to choose from.

I'm setting my qt1 tank, and a 13.5 fluvol tank up. Going to transfer inverts into one, and coral I want to transfer into the other.

Going to do 5x FWE dose, wait a few hours. Then pull stuff out, rinse and transfer to different tanks.

I'm then going to observe for 10days or so, and see if I see any flatworms work it over or not.

Last edited:

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nudibranch I'd have a terrible time tracking down in Canada, because we suck, dont have near the amount of suppliers to choose from.

It's been a few years, but I have seen them for sale many times. Big Al's even used to get them. Given they only eat flatworms you have to get them as soon as they come in of course.

I dosed my own frag system with another 3x dosage and got a few dozen which is more than I expected. I'm hoping I'm done with them but probably should order some more flatworm exit just in case. - I still did a water change after but when you're killing just a few it's not as critical since very little toxin is released with very few flatworms.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever get them, a Melanurus Wrasse seems to be a winner.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a few years, but I have seen them for sale many times. Big Al's even used to get them. Given they only eat flatworms you have to get them as soon as they come in of course.

I dosed my own frag system with another 3x dosage and got a few dozen which is more than I expected. I'm hoping I'm done with them but probably should order some more flatworm exit just in case. - I still did a water change after but when you're killing just a few it's not as critical since very little toxin is released with very few flatworms.
Reefsupplies.ca still has flatworm exit in stock. Since every dame med is banned from us :(

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever get them, a Melanurus Wrasse seems to be a winner.
Well, I guess worst case if they make into my DT, I do have a Melanurus in DT. So I'll let ya know how that goes. If it gets to that point.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine kills flatworms? I find that somewhat hard to believe, but at this point I’ll try anything....

Have you tried Dr. G's coral dip. It's milbemycin Oxime, same as interceptor. According to Dr.G's, it's effective against AEFW, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was also effective against several other species of flatworms. Despite the bottle saying it's not intended for direct DT usage, I've done it before and so have others.

This is actually my main go to dip.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Dr. G's coral dip. It's milbemycin Oxime, same as interceptor. According to Dr.G's, it's effective against AEFW, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was also effective against several other species of flatworms. Despite the bottle saying it's not intended for direct DT usage, I've done it before and so have others.

This is actually my main go to dip.
No I haven’t. Never even heard of it honestly. I’ll look it up.
Don’t think I could ever use an antibiotic in a qt or display though. A dip is one thing but never a whole tank

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081
@GoVols

I transfer all inverts into a separate tank. Did a strong 5x dose on trafer/rinse/rinse/etc.

Inverts have been in this new tank for 7 days now. And I havnt seen a single flatworm. Have I beat out any possible eggs hatching, making it though the dips. Or should I wait longer to see.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081
@GoVols

I transfer all inverts into a separate tank. Did a strong 5x dose on trafer/rinse/rinse/etc.

Inverts have been in this new tank for 7 days now. And I havnt seen a single flatworm. Have I beat out any possible eggs hatching, making it though the dips. Or should I wait longer to see.
Give it 48hrs and One more dose then time for water change, addition of carbon, etc

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like to update my success.

I beat Flatworms from my invert crew. By dips and transfers, before entering display.

So I've recently done the same with all my sps and lps from my QT2 tank. I moved them all with dips, and cutting plugs etc, and transfered them into QT1 for observation. After three weeks no signs of Flatworms. Transferring method and dips works great, if you have the tanks and room I guess. But worked great.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for spotted mandarin goby, actually hunts them all day, won't fix overpopulated invasion, but will help to keep in check.

Back