Red plant not so red

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a fantastic tank!
Looks like you have a lot better idea of what you're doing than I do! Oh, and about 19 years more experience. ;)
The more I read, the more I am convinced there is something to the Halide>T5>LED argument
Especially after seeing something like that!

OP
OP
Colgan10

Colgan10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a fantastic tank!
Looks like you have a lot better idea of what you're doing than I do! Oh, and about 19 years more experience. ;)
The more I read, the more I am convinced there is something to the Halide>T5>LED argument
Especially after seeing something like that!
Thank you. To be honest with you I never cared or worried about par once when I was using metal halides and t5s I just changed the bulb every 9-10 months and things just grew as long as your chemistry was good. I quit feeding for 5 years and came back and everything is led but this past 8 months has been my hardest 8 months in reefing and the only new factor for me is the lighting.

OP
OP
Colgan10

Colgan10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red planet is a lower light acro, at least for it to be red. It gets greener with more light.
Here is mine high to mid tank. Bottom of the tank is redder.
20200910_170730.jpg

20200822_212802.jpg
I moved one of my three frags down to see if that helps. When yours is higher up have you noticed the polyps turn white or lightish green as well?

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got that backwards Silent. With more light a Red Planet gets bright pink. With less light it develops a green base.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved one of my three frags down to see if that helps. When yours is higher up have you noticed the polyps turn white or lightish green as well?
Oh definitely if getting really bright light. At least at the tips where the growth is. I run a Orphek atlantik and 2 OR3s.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my favorites. You may need a little more nutrients. Also from my experience the red really pops with higher par. The green comes out in low par.
Also this is a link to ORA

OP
OP
Colgan10

Colgan10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of lighting, they are more red with higher par with
This is one of my favorites. You may need a little more nutrients. Also from my experience the red really pops with higher par. The green comes out in low par.
Also this is a link to ORA
So you all are saying I might not have enough par and that’s why it’s looking bleached out. I wouldn’t say mine is green or red really just a very light florescent green

I have started to does higher nitrate I think I’m going to shoot for around 10 ppm

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what your magnesium level is. Also do you have a refugium or algae reactor? If so how well does the macros grow?
Dosing nitrate and phosphate always scares me a bit just take it slow.
Edit.
Just want to add I wouldn't raise the par levels just yet until you have an idea on magnesium level and nutrients are where you want them to be

OP
OP
Colgan10

Colgan10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what your magnesium level is. Also do you have a refugium or algae reactor? If so how well does the macros grow?
Dosing nitrate and phosphate always scares me a bit just take it slow.
Edit.
Just want to add I wouldn't raise the par levels just yet until you have an idea on magnesium level and nutrients are where you want them to be
Yea I have a refugium my cheato grows great no problem there. Dosing nitrate and phosphate is pretty simple to be honest.

I’ll have to get a magnesium test kit but I would be completely shocked with my calcium reactor and running remag in it that it would be way out of wack I’ve never tested mag in past.

I really think it’s my Nutrients bottoming out on me now. Tested nitrate today and it was back down to 1ppm I’m going to raise nitrate up to 10ppm and keep a better dosing and test schedule I had been testing once a week for nitrate and two times a week for phosphate but my nitrates have been dropping faster then in the past.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you all are saying I might not have enough par and that’s why it’s looking bleached out. I wouldn’t say mine is green or red really just a very light florescent green

I have started to does higher nitrate I think I’m going to shoot for around 10 ppm

If it was me I would just lower the frag and give it some time. I would not start to make a bunch of changes, especially if most of your other corals aren't pale like that red planet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back