Red Scooter Blenny and a Ruby dragonet

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve always wanted a pair of Ruby red dragonets but have never been able to find a female one. So I decided to go with a red scooter blenny. Today, I was able to find a male/female pair of the ruby dragonet. When introduced, the male and female went their separate ways and my scooter blenny has not left the female ruby alone. He hasn’t attacked her but will follow her every move. At times his fins will be extended and he’ll do a little shake. She just goes on about her business looking for pods. At times, my yellow tang swims over and “breaks up the fight”

Are these two dragonets not compatible? Should I remove the scooter blenny? I am supplementing the tank with pods btw.

098DD752-9EB8-4C3D-853B-47F43CE96144.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0762.MOV
    16.8 MB

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're both dragonet species, and sometimes different dragonet species (even if male and female) will not get along. Sometimes they do, though. I can't tell if he's being aggressive or merely curious - but it's something I'd keep an eye on.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a female Scooter, Synchiropus ocellatus, and a female Red Ruby, Synchiropus sycorax

Hey @OrionN you sound like an experienced scooter keeper. What is your experience with their life expectency? I just had one pass and I looked back at my QT logs and I had him a little over 2 years. I have a mature 180, but he looked very skinny when I found him. Like he got old and stopped eating or something since I can't figure out what else it could be.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back