Red Sea bargains?

Discussion in 'Red Sea' started by BobSacamano, Jan 21, 2018.

1. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Possible dumb question, as I've never seen them or heard of them. But do vendors ever have sales/discounts on Red Sea aquariums?

Just wondering if there is a "right time," to buy a tank.

LadyMac, GoVols and ROB_310 like this.
    Tags:

2. abecker

abecker Active Member

I had two LFS near me have anniversary sales and had BIG discounts on Red Sea tanks. Big enough that you may even be able to go to a local store and see if they are able to beat the regular price. I know there are limitations to what they can advertise the price as, but they may be able to sell it at a lower price. I haven’t seen much from online retailers personally.

GoVols likes this.
  3. cmcoker

cmcoker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Best chance is Black Friday. Other than that ordering from somewhere like bulk reef supply, where you can earn some points, will at least give you some credit on other supplies to setup the tank. I'd check with them if red sea aquariums are eligible for the 10x points days they do monthly.

Locally, one of the lfs that offers a 10% off for the local club was willing to take it off a red sea tank I was looking at and they also did free delivery within certain distance of store.

JoshH and GoVols like this.
  4. ROB_310

ROB_310 Member

I was wondering this too. Im looking for the best deal before I pull the trigger.

If anyone knows any LFS in the Los Angeles area let me know!!

Thanks in advance

GoVols likes this.
  5. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader MTRCMember R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

They are pretty much price locked across the board.

The best deal that I got was buying my 2013 S-Series from my local reef shop. Since I was doing a full setup, they helped me out on other things, like live rock pricing and other things that I needed.

I'd try a (lfs) and shoot for a bundle package deal and nothing wrong with a little haggling :D

JoshH likes this.
  6. Centerline

Centerline Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Not a bad deal at full price though!

GoVols likes this.
  7. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader MTRCMember R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Red Sea has great customer service too :)

HolisticBear and Centerline like this.
  8. Centerline

Centerline Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Indeed they do!

9. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

You and I are in the same boat, and in the same area.

10. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Thanks! I'll definitely check out my local spots and see what they might have going on.

GoVols likes this.
  11. abecker

abecker Active Member

If you have local spots and they know they are competing with each other they may throw in free delivery and installation or something to help win your business.

JoshH and GoVols like this.
  12. Firedawg1983

Firedawg1983 Member

I bought mine from Marine depot around Black Friday and got enough points to get all the live sand and a heater free with the rewards points.

13. mjlash22

mjlash22 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

LFS seems to be the way to go if you are looking the discount route. I frequent a couple online retailers that are Red Sea authorized sellers and have never seen the actual tanks go on sale.

14. Absolutekind

Absolutekind Member

I had this same question and waited months to find a deal. Finally, Saltwateraquarium.com (they also ship within days versus weeks because they don't "drop ship" and have them in their warehouse) had a 5% store credit on all aquariums, including Red Sea, on cyber Monday. They also gave 5% rewards, so I received over $200 in store credit. I was able to turn around and use that credit within 24 hours to get other holiday deals on stuff like filter socks and test kits.

Unfortunately, the tank arrived chipped but their customer service was really good and they contacted Red Sea who shipped out a new tank (took weeks to get though).

My LFS said they could discount the tank $150 off from online retailers, but the 6% sale tax negates that.

Love the Reefer 450 by the way- plumbing is a dream!

Gene Ashton likes this.
  15. Gene Ashton

Gene Ashton Member

I’m looking at 450 or 525 also. BRS free shipping and possible no tax equals big savings

GoVols likes this.
  16. GoVols

Plus you'd rack up BRS points, big time :)

HolisticBear likes this.
  17. Nobbygas

Nobbygas Member

I was lucky when I ordered my S-650 in 2016, as my LFS were offering 20% off, which was a tidy sum :)

GoVols likes this.
  18. OLDREEFER44

OLDREEFER44 Active Member R2R Supporter

I have had vendors do package deals where they discount the overall purchase. Might try calling Premium aquatics who did a deal for me when I bought several items at the same time.

GoVols likes this.
  19. jefra

jefra Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I don't think Red Sea tanks are eligible: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/customer-center/preferred-reefers

**Excludes Abyzz, Aqua Illumination, AutoAqua, Easy Reefs, Ecotech Marine, Giesemann, IceCap, Kamoer, Kessil, Maxspect, Neptune Systems, Nyos, Red Sea, & Reef Octopus. Wholesale Customers are unable to apply for the Preferred Reefer program

GoVols likes this.
  20. cmcoker

cmcoker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

That list looks longer than it used to be...

GoVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted