Red Sea DC skimmer with sensor setup

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I uprgraded as well hoping the adjustability would help produce a darker skimate. It did not, self leveling is a stretch. It doesn’t do what they what they advertise it to do. However as I have more money invested in a mediocre skimmer. I’m kinda stuck with it now. The only thing I like about it is if my sump fluctuates it’s turns down instead of acting like Yellowstone.

hsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue on Day 1. The cup filled in ~1 minute while the skim regulator was entirely turned to minus. I reduced the pump to 20% and, after 10 hours, turned the pump to the default 70% while lowering the Over-Skim regulation in the app (based on this thread). Here is what it looks like now at the end of Day 1: Settings + Result

Reefbeat Settings.png

Now, I have over-skimming events, and the pump is regulated to 48%.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me 3-4 months to break in my skimmer and I had to run it at very low settings early on in part because my tank was new and did not have much of a bio load. I was also very annoyed by the loud operation. It has been six months now and I generate very dark skimmate and the skimmer runs much quieter presumably after the pump has had time to build up a layer of biofilm. I am sorry your situation did not work out. Next time I get a skimmer I will likely go with another manufacturer that has quite operation straight out of the box and is ozone comparable. I am staying away from anything in-tank with a Sicce pump (ie, that is what the RedSea skimmer uses) since it is not quite operation when compared to the similarly price alternatives.

parclife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve the same with the skimmer, threshold turned down to 10%. Debating switch again.. also saw you have the return pump, I swapped that out recently due to noise and vibration also. Skimmer still in place for now

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve the same with the skimmer, threshold turned down to 10%. Debating switch again.. also saw you have the return pump, I swapped that out recently due to noise and vibration also. Skimmer still in place for now
Yes, the RedSea DC return pump are also not quiet Sicce pumps. I will not be getting Sicce pumps again! Those pumps do get quieter over time but you can get similarly priced pumps from other brands which are dead silent straight out of the box.

hsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had noise issues with the return pump but moving it away from the glass ensuring it is "free-standing" solved the issue.

parclife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had noise issues with the return pump but moving it away from the glass ensuring it is "free-standing" solved the issue.
I tried all that and putting it on foam pads etc to absorb vibrations. Much happier with the vectra now. Glad yours resolved

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped both the skimmer and return pump out for Aqua Medic DC runners. World of difference. I barely hear them running. Even when the room is quiet.

I'm happy with my other red sea hardware (ato, reef dose, reefwave, reefleds, tank) but the DC pumps are terrible.

stevedola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been dealing with breaking in the RS DC 300 skimmer and its been a little frustrating however after some fiddling and research the skimmer is doing better. I started like others here with a loud noisy pump and it overly skimming but after a couple of days the noise has substantially decreased and the skim collection is regulating. The sensor was reducing the pump to 48%-55% but not producing much at all. Reading the experience of other reefers, I shut off the over skim sensor portion in the app and let it run like a typical skimmer for the last couple days. Im getting good skimmate and have the peace of mind to know if the skimmer is overflowing it will be regulated to not cause issues in the tank/cabinet. I plan on turning on the sensor this weekend after the film has built up on the inside. Ill start at 10% and raise it up to see the best setting for my tank bioload. If it doesn't work as advertised Ill have to contact Redsea (which has always been great to deal with in the past). I like the features of this skimmer and the build quality is very good. Hopefully the dialing-in period has a positive outcome and I have what I wanted in the end.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Dc 300. Keep getting the red warning symbol, I hit resume and then I get a pop up that pump needs attention. What does that mean? The pump is running, I clearly see foam in the column so the pump is running.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Dc 300. Keep getting the red warning symbol, I hit resume and then I get a pop up that pump needs attention. What does that mean? The pump is running, I clearly see foam in the column so the pump is running.

Have you tried turning it down? When I’ve had that happen was because it was over skimming Because my water level changed. I haven’t gotten the pump needs attention error yet.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried turning it down? When I’ve had that happen was because it was over skimming Because my water level changed. I haven’t gotten the pump needs attention error yet.
Thanks, wish the error was a little more informative, I interpreted it as the pump isn’t working. It has gone away, I I played around with the adjustment knob and it has gone away. I’ve had it maybe 6 months since I updated to DC from the original model and it just seems so inconsistent. The tank is long established over 4 years. And I have service that does water changes every 2 weeks. Haven’t looked at the skimmate yet. I also with they could explicitly say in the app whether it was oveskimming or under skimming so I knew whether to adjust it up or down. I assume the probe readings can tell which .

The tank is mainly FOWLR other than a few large leathers and some star polyps. My butterflies won’t allow other corals.

It seems the original ads made it sound like it was so automated but you always need to change the percentages and then do save and resume.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, wish the error was a little more informative, I interpreted it as the pump isn’t working. It has gone away, I I played around with the adjustment knob and it has gone away. I’ve had it maybe 6 months since I updated to DC from the original model and it just seems so inconsistent. The tank is long established over 4 years. And I have service that does water changes every 2 weeks. Haven’t looked at the skimmate yet. I also with they could explicitly say in the app whether it was oveskimming or under skimming so I knew whether to adjust it up or down. I assume the probe readings can tell which .

The tank is mainly FOWLR other than a few large leathers and some star polyps. My butterflies won’t allow other corals.

It seems the original ads made it sound like it was so automated but you always need to change the percentages and then do save and resume.

I upgrade as well. It took a bit to break in but know it is performing a little better. I run mine at 70% intensity and 50% dry. It seams to work ok if it starts to over skim it will drop the intensity. Overall I think it is a mediocre skimmer. Esp for how much money I have wrapped up in it now with the upgrade. I do like how it will turn down if it starts to overflow. That hasn’t been an issue anymore since I replaced the diaphragm valve.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgrade as well. It took a bit to break in but know it is performing a little better. I run mine at 70% intensity and 50% dry. It seams to work ok if it starts to over skim it will drop the intensity. Overall I think it is a mediocre skimmer. Esp for how much money I have wrapped up in it now with the upgrade. I do like how it will turn down if it starts to overflow. That hasn’t been an issue anymore since I replaced the diaphragm valve.
At least I bought the original used thanks for all the info.
The diaphragm valve on the reefer tank overflow pipe ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back