Red Sea g2 safe?

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the g2 RedSea line better than the g1 are there any tank leaks still?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are documented tank leaks in them, along with many owners not having leaks. It's a mix % risk. See the big red sea gripe thread for examples

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I recommend you don't buy one is because red sea will cut you off from help if you need it. They do not help their leak tank owners, they offer to sell them replacement systems for high cost the reports in the thread show

An owner of a non leaking tank will claim they're fine, don't leak. An owner of a g2 with a seam split regrets their purchase, it's a a simple as that per the huge thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason I recommend you don't buy one is because red sea will cut you off from help if you need it. They do not help their leak tank owners, they offer to sell them replacement systems for high cost the reports in the thread show

An owner of a non leaking tank will claim they're fine, don't leak. An owner of a g2 with a seam split regrets their purchase, it's a a simple as that per the huge thread.
Thank you that is what I was nervous about. I had a waterbox and liked it but put an order with them and canceled it yesterday because I feel the customer service isn’t there anymore. I will look at other tanks. Thank you!

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really wanted a redsea but going Innovative Marine Route
That’s what I’m leaning towards I have had WB and the customer service doesn’t seem that best anymore. I currently have a 40l IM and I think I might just get the 150 full reef or the 100 full reef. The 150 is cheaper but 4 to 6 months lead time that’s a lot lol

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the g2 RedSea line better than the g1 are there any tank leaks still?
Yes, the G2 and G2+ models are better. Thicker glass, improved cabinets and corner bracing. I haven't heard of any seam issues with the G2 series of tanks yet.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, the G2 and G2+ models are better. Thicker glass, improved cabinets and corner bracing. I haven't heard of any seam issues with the G2 series of tanks yet.
Would you be worried buying one?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

is that a G2 series, first owner, with a seam split

@blaxsun you can't make that case any longer correct? it seems misleading to not relay this risk?

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

This is the biggest reason I won't ever buy another tank from them.

I had my RSR250 delaminate on the bottom seal. They asked for pictures, then basically said, "That sucks. We can sell you a new tank if you want."

A new RSR250 - not including stand or sump - worked out to over $1,000. They refused to discount it, refused to sell just a G2 tank, and offered very little sympathy while saying "take it or leave it."

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the humblefish thread on the breaks:

1680622677852.png

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you all! I am not going to risk it. It sucks that these companies customer service is awful. I am going to call innovative marine and see if someone answers. I have had multiple tanks from different big brand companies but not Red Sea. I like my IM tank. The stand is a bit janky. I am wanting to go over 100 gallons and want to get something I don’t have to be stressed every night lol

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe red sea deserves to pay up (lose buyers) for being harsh to customers and avoiding all discussions about their breaks, from 1st gen owners, on their facebook page. they can't have both the breaks and the avoidance of discussion/accountability factor. the market shouldn't have to accept that.

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thank you all! I am not going to risk it. It sucks that these companies customer service is awful. I am going to call innovative marine and see if someone answers. I have had multiple tanks from different big brand companies but not Red Sea. I like my IM tank. The stand is a bit janky. I am wanting to go over 100 gallons and want to get something I don’t have to be stressed every night lol
I'm going to second the Innovative Marine approach, especially if you're going for >100 gallons. I've heard nothing but good things about their tanks (and I love all the IM nanos I've had), and they're the best bang for your buck with their 40% off made-to-order sale right now.

The only down side is that 1) their sumps aren't made to fit roller mats, and 2) they have a 16-20 week delivery time (at least for the IM Nuvo 200 EXT).

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I believe red sea deserves to pay up (lose buyers) for being harsh to customers and avoiding all discussions about their breaks, from 1st gen owners, on their facebook page. they can't have both the breaks and the avoidance of discussion/accountability factor. the market shouldn't have to accept that.
Making this explicit for those who aren't aware - at least as of ~6 months ago, Red Sea deletes all posts discussing tank failures/seam failures on their FB page.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel reefbuilders does a disservice to buyers only featuring red sea new editions and not any of this really important discussion of quality/service. RB should write a fair article about the breaks and the customer service to balance out their sales pitches for red sea. = a fair perspective

Last edited:
OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Making this explicit for those who aren't aware - at least as of ~6 months ago, Red Sea deletes all posts discussing tank failures/seam failures on their FB page.
Yes I’ve heard of that I like to see everyone’s tanks on their but it seems like it’s more of a fanboy section I never see anything bad

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to second the Innovative Marine approach, especially if you're going for >100 gallons. I've heard nothing but good things about their tanks (and I love all the IM nanos I've had), and they're the best bang for your buck with their 40% off made-to-order sale right now.

The only down side is that 1) their sumps aren't made to fit roller mats, and 2) they have a 16-20 week delivery time (at least for the IM Nuvo 200 EXT).
That’s the only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger. 4 to 6 months is long lol I change my mind every two weeks I can’t imagine waiting 5 months

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish IM would make a nicer wood stand option. I don't love the APS stands...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back