Red Sea g2 safe?

AdamR0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish IM would make a nicer wood stand option. I don't love the APS stands...
I like the design that it's not all flat like most brands actually had a cabinet design and I think aluminum would be better than wood long run?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To play the devils advocate. I see the same people on this thread who are bashing red sea on all red sea threads recently. None of them seem to have any actual experience with red sea however..

Of the 3 examples posted, only the 2 from reef2reef were actually G2s (the other post being from 2019 is obv not a G2). Of the two remaining examples - one the user has yet to follow up with additional information or video evidence, and the majority of commenters on that thread agreed the initial video proof was far from adequate.

I owned one of the Fluval Flex's and that community was the same way, the tanks which had issues were made loud and clear online, and the large majority of tanks with no issues were never heard from again, as is most consumer feedback.

If you go to Waterbox forums for example you can see how poor their customer service is directly from that userbase.

All tanks have failures, I don't think there is something catastrophic happening with the new G2s as some are pushing so desperately.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you state red sea has great service for their issue tanks, and can you show where others stated that?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only reef in a vase, but I can read thread patterns/ which allows me to relay a clear obvious risk. The seam fail thread is up to fifty pages... not hype. No other brand name has a fifty page fail thread.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To play the devils advocate. I see the same people on this thread who are bashing red sea on all red sea threads recently. None of them seem to have any actual experience with red sea however..
A tank failure is an experience best learned from someone else, not first hand. I hate comments like this. People share experiences on forums to help others avoid the same mistakes or issues. The entire point is so someone else doesn't have to go through it!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rescind all the posts I make on them/new warning threads/ if we could find maybe 5 examples posted where they quickly and thoroughly jumped on a seam break and simply shipped out a new tank, free shipping, free tank. heck I'll settle for 3 examples.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i called Im and someone answered. That was actually nice. I’ve called WB for weeks to get someone to answer.

I really want the 100 or the 150 full reef. The issue is the 150 is cheaper than the 100 but it has a 4 to 6 month lead time. I would settle for the 100 but I can not physically pay more for a smaller tank. I am stubborn when it comes to things like that. It stinks but I will have to look at another tank manufacturer. Thank you for every one’s input. Waterbox is sort of out of the question just based on their Customer Service. The guy was nice that I talked to but I do not want to wait a week to hear from someone if my tank is leaking. Red Sea scares me and I was gonna choose them for their CS but some of the comments scare me. I guess I will have to wait and see what to do. Maybe buy the WB from world wide corals and deal with them vs WB directly

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank failure is an experience best learned from someone else, not first hand. I hate comments like this. People share experiences on forums to help others avoid the same mistakes or issues. The entire point is so someone else doesn't have to go through it!
I bought a tank knowing full well the issues and the updates to address them by Red Sea. Scaring someone into buying a tank model that is no longer in production is not helping people IMO.
I also shared my experienced about another brand where I personally experienced a tank failure. I think you all are just not happy I am not jumping on the red sea g2 scare wagon

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tank knowing full well the issues and the updates to address them by Red Sea. Scaring someone into buying a tank model that is no longer in production is not helping people IMO
Given the standard comeback by RS defenders, "it must have been 2nd hand", then this warning is EXACTLY what is needed. I'm not following your no longer in production point. Perhaps new ones are not being made, but plenty of people are still selling used ones and it seems those are at the highest risk of failure.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the standard comeback by RS defenders, "it must have been 2nd hand", then this warning is EXACTLY what is needed. I'm not following your no longer in production point.
We are talking about an updated version of the old line

IF there were any second hand G2 models they would be only a couple months old as that is when the line was released. The op asked specfically about G2 - that is the feedback I am providing. It has nothing to do with new or used. Take a deep breath lol

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep breath? I'm calm. Don't be condescending.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think it is interesting you all are so caught up in hating red sea that we aren't even having the same conversation about the same tank model and are bringing up tank condition which literally has nothing to do with the conversation or points made. Especially after saying how it isnt help forum members

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

curious to know your assessment of that thread @ScubaFish802

its sixty pages of complaints on them.

is the anger totally unwarranted towards red sea

do you have any examples we can see of them providing positive service? that would help your stance that we're negative bandwagoning, show a positive from them or two

there are a LOT of testimonies in that thread I didn't solicit but picked up on: owning one of these from any generation is a marked risk, unless I'm seeing that data and trending completely wrong. what's the right way to view that thread

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think it is interesting you all are so caught up in hating red sea that we aren't even having the same conversation about the same tank model and are bringing up tank condition which literally has nothing to do with the conversation or points made. Especially after saying how it isnt help forum members
Not following any of this. The history of Redsea tank failures is absolutely relevant when discussing the pros/cons and performance of the new model. In the case of G2, this very forum has seen threads of failure.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have the Red Sea 200XL G2. I purchased the extended warranty (5 years coverage). Bought when it was just released last year. Tank is still as solid as the day i bought it. I fully expect my tank to last the 5 years its covered for.

With that said, I would not even dare to go bigger on a Red Sea tank. Not worth a potiental nightmare.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was looking for a new tank, I would go with IM or CADE.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my opinion that's a very balanced perspective Tuan's Reef given all the data here. well said. they're beautiful tanks that's for sure.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be 100% IM if they had a wood stand option. Last I checked, Cade is more expensive than it's competitors, perhaps better product though? I wanted a G2, but I've seen some failures now and out of principal, will probably avoid RS. A personal experience with WB has me looking elsewhere as well.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anywho, the G2 looks to be better but they haven't been out long enough to know if there will be any random failures 3-5 years in.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back