Red Sea g2 safe?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be 100% IM if they had a wood stand option. Last I checked, Cade is more expensive than it's competitors, perhaps better product though? I wanted a G2, but I've seen some failures now and out of principal, will probably avoid RS. A personal experience with WB has me looking elsewhere as well.

Cade is reportedly a superior product to the rest.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you everyone for the inputs! I didn’t really try to start something lol. I know the love and hate these companies get. I want to make the right decision I am hoping to keep this tank for a long time. Especially for the price. I like glass cage tanks but they are a bit over my budget for a 100 gallon reef ready. Looking to spend around 3k give or take $500. Something inside of me is saying to not get a WB so I will not. On the other hand I am tempted with the Red Sea just scared lol. I rent a house so I want to ‘minimize’ the risk

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe to say many of us have had these same exact thoughts or very similar. I know I have.

I've recently decided I'm eventually going to get a big ol' acrylic Tenecor sometime. They have some nice tank/stand combo's available and more coming out soon as far as I know.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the Red Sea 425 I see brs has a discontinued 425 g2 and there are other sites with 425 g2+ are they the same or is the g2+ the newer one?

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 525 3Xl going on 3.5 years and love it. However I want to get a 200 gal, I am looking at the Innovative Marine 200EXT or the Red Sea Reefer S 1000. The 1000 has bracing top and bottom for twice the price of the 200ext with just top bracing not sure I can justify the extra cost.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Red Sea 525 3Xl going on 3.5 years and love it. However I want to get a 200 gal, I am looking at the Innovative Marine 200EXT or the Red Sea Reefer S 1000. The 1000 has bracing top and bottom for twice the price of the 200ext with just top bracing not sure I can justify the extra cost.
Awesome, either way that would be nice!

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have added I will not buy a tank larger than the one I own 525 liters without the Euro bracing, actually should be less than 100g as my front bows quite a bit around 1/8".

I surmise the bottom of the front panel is true however as you increase in height you also increase in deformation due to the weight of the water, this places an uneven strain on the silicone seal at the bottom of the front panel mainly in the center where most leaks I have seen occurred.

The addition of the Eruo bracing at the top of the tank alone should rectify this condition, but I really like that Red Sea has added one at the bottom also.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt Cade have the ato compartment in the rear of its tanks? What a terrible design/idea that is… who wants that?

I don't think it takes up any display room, it was dead/unused space.. like the space pipes take up. So they put it there because it can be larger capacity and work with gravity.

I don't think it would bother me any but makes it so you can't top off with kalk and such. Could just opt not to use it I suppose. When red sea had their tiny ATO's sitting on the sump, I never used them.

Last edited:

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you state red sea has great service for their issue tanks, and can you show where others stated that?

I would rescind all the posts I make on them/new warning threads/ if we could find maybe 5 examples posted where they quickly and thoroughly jumped on a seam break and simply shipped out a new tank, free shipping, free tank. heck I'll settle for 3 examples.

Looks like it is time for Brandon to eat some crow...

@Simon Reefing

I am the original owner of a 3.5 year old Reefer 350, and, I now enjoy checking my seams regularly. I have been lucky so far but there have been a number who haven't been as fortunate. Red Sea seems to have attempted to address a number of issues from G1 models in the new G2/G2+ models, but I don't think there is enough data to say if the tank/stand improvements have adequately addressed the seam issues. Personally, I would look elsewhere if I were looking for a new tank today,

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I clicked the links I saw more reasons to not ever buy one, and indeed the posters said they were sending replacements.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first link, it was two weeks before the guy got a resolution. The second one the guy said they only agreed to a tank replacement, hell the stand was likely the problem from what we have noticed. The third guy said they replaced the tank immediately, but never said if they replaced the stand. If they are not replacing the stands, well the same thing will be happening to the new tanks in time, likely when the tanks are out of warranty.

I am going to limp by for a few years with my Planet Aquarium, but ultimately I am going to replace even it with a euro braced custom tank for the long haul.

Last edited:

Joe Tyler Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you that is what I was nervous about. I had a waterbox and liked it but put an order with them and canceled it yesterday because I feel the customer service isn’t there anymore. I will look at other tanks. Thank you!
Same. I used to be such a Waterbox Fan Boy, but after 3 tanks showed up damaged in shipment and replacements taking forever to reship, I got fed up. Care seemed to have no empathy, and nothing was offered/no price reduction on anything. I understand that shipping mishaps are not technically Waterbox's fault, however they need to rethink their shipping material. 2 broken 50.3s and 1 broken 65.4 because they are shipped in a cardboard box instead of being crated in wood. I still have their 50.3 and it's a beautiful tank, however it took three different 50.3s to get one in ok shape, I settled even though the bottom edges have micro abrasion chips that you can see. The 65.4 was ordered in February 2023 and I did receive it in March, however this one also showed up cracked. I filed a claim, and it was approved the next day. They said a new one would ship out in a couple of weeks, but it wasn't. Multiple messages back and forth with Waterbox saying the tank was to be shipped next week, then the week after, and then the week after that...you get the point. Here we are in May and still no tracking number and not even one apology or free shirt or anything. I asked to have my order canceled and refunded. Waterbox tried to stop me from cancelling, saying the tank was going to ship this next week, but I said I am done, and I want a refund. They sent me a refund for the tank and explained that the shipping wasn't refundable. I argued that and long story short, they finally refunded me the shipping. I do not know what brand to go with now after all my tanks (130.4, 30.2, 50.3, cube 10, and clear 10) that I have owned have been Waterbox. Any suggestions?

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. I used to be such a Waterbox Fan Boy, but after 3 tanks showed up damaged in shipment and replacements taking forever to reship, I got fed up. Care seemed to have no empathy, and nothing was offered/no price reduction on anything. I understand that shipping mishaps are not technically Waterbox's fault, however they need to rethink their shipping material. 2 broken 50.3s and 1 broken 65.4 because they are shipped in a cardboard box instead of being crated in wood. I still have their 50.3 and it's a beautiful tank, however it took three different 50.3s to get one in ok shape, I settled even though the bottom edges have micro abrasion chips that you can see. The 65.4 was ordered in February 2023 and I did receive it in March, however this one also showed up cracked. I filed a claim, and it was approved the next day. They said a new one would ship out in a couple of weeks, but it wasn't. Multiple messages back and forth with Waterbox saying the tank was to be shipped next week, then the week after, and then the week after that...you get the point. Here we are in May and still no tracking number and not even one apology or free shirt or anything. I asked to have my order canceled and refunded. Waterbox tried to stop me from cancelling, saying the tank was going to ship this next week, but I said I am done, and I want a refund. They sent me a refund for the tank and explained that the shipping wasn't refundable. I argued that and long story short, they finally refunded me the shipping. I do not know what brand to go with now after all my tanks (130.4, 30.2, 50.3, cube 10, and clear 10) that I have owned have been Waterbox. Any suggestions?

People say great things about Glass Cages, plus you get what you type in the configuration on the site, highly customizable.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
planet is local. might be easier to get a flawless tank. My stand from them is made from real wood not thin mdf panels.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe to say many of us have had these same exact thoughts or very similar. I know I have.

I've recently decided I'm eventually going to get a big ol' acrylic Tenecor sometime. They have some nice tank/stand combo's available and more coming out soon as far as I know.

I think I saw something about them using a metal stand and working on putting wood on the exterior of the stand.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear all your troubles! I ended up staying away from Red Sea and I’m glad I did. My other three options were WB, IM or glass cage. If you have the money I would go with glass cage. I really wanted a frag style tank and IM doesn’t sell those so it was between Glass Cage or WB. GC has a calculator to estimate the cost of the tank. I would love a uro braced frag style tank but it was close to 4k and no sump or plumbing versus WB 155.5 frag for 3200. I decided to go with WB. I’m nervous but the gentleman over the phone was nice and there was a mix up with my order and he sent me and my wife a free shirt.

Now the only reason I decided to roll the dice with WB shipping is because I’m in FL and it is a WB employee who will be delivering the tank. I’m hoping since they are employed with WB they will take a little more care of the tank versus a local company.

on another note if you have a well known fish store that does a ton of business with WB or any other brand it might be worth going through them. I was going to by the tank from world wide corals instead of through WB online and they found a little scratch on the tank. They ended up call WB and I assume are going to get it replaced. I’m scared since I’m still going through WB website I feel like World wide coral can easily call WB and get a new tank for a scratch while you or me might have to fight them on it and probably won’t get a new one. Its sad that you spend this much money and customer service is none existent. That is for every company almost in this hobby. The only CS that I was never nervous about was Marine Depot unfortunately BRS bought them out.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i heard one of the largest retailers in my country say they stopped selling waterboxes because of the large number of issues people were having, and now they are only selling red sea. It’s an interesting, different perspective

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • D/C

Votes: 51 63.8%
  • Both

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 12 15.0%
Back