What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a $2400 (custom addons, tax, delivered and setup) 9yo 200g that was made and shipped from Dallas area from Oceanic (well the group that took it over that didn't survive) and to date not a single issue. I want another tank and have been looking around including this thread. What's sad is it seems that you can't find a decent quality mainstream tank actually made in the USA. I was leaning towards Waterbox since they are located maybe 30m away but then I saw all the problems with them too and the nightmare stories of denied claims and horrid customer service. The common thread with all these manufacturers seems to be MADE IN CHINA garbage. Aside from the quality issue they have to endure shipping 1000's of miles by ship and truck before you ever see them. There are of course the boutique builders if you want to wait maybe a year for delivery and pay $$$. Well even the prices of the China stuff is pretty $$$ for a larger tank now days. Now not sure what if anything I will buy anytime soon.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The common theme is rimless.
Totally agree. Rimless are nice looking tanks but require extra thick glass and quality workmanship and maybe Euro bracing. I mentioned my tank and it's a rimmed tank. Tops are something of a problem too with rimless. I'd love to have an open top tank but I usually have at least some fish that are prone to jump. Even with glass tops on mine a few still managed to find a way to the floor over the years.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a $2400 (custom addons, tax, delivered and setup) 9yo 200g that was made and shipped from Dallas area from Oceanic (well the group that took it over that didn't survive) and to date not a single issue. I want another tank and have been looking around including this thread. What's sad is it seems that you can't find a decent quality mainstream tank actually made in the USA. I was leaning towards Waterbox since they are located maybe 30m away but then I saw all the problems with them too and the nightmare stories of denied claims and horrid customer service. The common thread with all these manufacturers seems to be MADE IN CHINA garbage. Aside from the quality issue they have to endure shipping 1000's of miles by ship and truck before you ever see them. There are of course the boutique builders if you want to wait maybe a year for delivery and pay $$$. Well even the prices of the China stuff is pretty $$$ for a larger tank now days. Now not sure what if anything I will buy anytime soon.
Planet Aquariums (maybe that's the one in Dallas you are talking about?)
Glass Cages used to be not the best quality. But they are under new management as of a couple years ago, and people seem to be really happy with their tanks now.
The common theme is rimless.
I agree. Rimless tanks are inherently flawed. Personally anything over about a 2' cube, I wouldn't go that way.
There are rimless looking tanks that have eurobracing, like SCA, that I would be comfortable with.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What? Are you serious? This weekends tank leak cost me $4200 total out of pocket. Not to mention a $50 bottle of crown royal for my nice neighbor who at a moment's notice helped me get a new tank in my house.
The key words I used were 'as far as I know'. I was under the impression that all of your livestock etc had been moved and were planning to repair the issue.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To this note I wonder where Innovative Marine tanks are made. They are cheaper than Red Sea and water box so you’re inclined to think China but I’ve not heard of any failures from their tanks.

The bigger ones are Eurobraced which IMO is a must without a rim and over 150g.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To this note I wonder where Innovative Marine tanks are made. They are cheaper than Red Sea and water box so you’re inclined to think China but I’ve not heard of any failures from their tanks.

The bigger ones are Eurobraced which IMO is a must without a rim and over 150g.
They had a number of failures when they first started in the early 2010s. I think they are made in china.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How can people be informed if you want it hidden in a vendor forum I may never even see?
Well - IDK - I didn't say I 'wanted it hidden' - what I said - is that in the past - these individual issues have been sent to the vendor forum. It's not my rule, suggestion or policy. The specific incident from this thread was solved by Red Sea - My comment related to the poster starting a new thread - such that it would be heard. This thread related to large tanks with a stand brace problem. I know - because I had 2 of them:)

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key words I used were 'as far as I know'. I was under the impression that all of your livestock etc had been moved and were planning to repair the issue.
But yet you still reply without reading anything bwyond 2 to 3 posts prior to yours.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A very big no. I never want to see another Red Sea product. I plan on selling or giving away the lights and skimmer, several times I commented that I tore the tank down to individual panes of glass and now they are expensive but pretty glass shelves in the garage. I spent almost two full days with little sleep keeping everything alive and setting up a new tank. 2k for the tank and 2k for all the other crap that goes with it.

With all of the issues we face as hobbyist trying to figure out all the little things to keep these critters and coral alive, the last thing I want to worry about is the tank suddenly popping a seam. Like I said previously, had tanks for over 30 years now. I remember having old ocean view and oceanic tanks that seals were so worn from cleaning that the absolute only sealant left was between the actual pieces of glass, the sealant was so old it was actually brittle, still moved those tanks around and not one time did I have one bust. I expected more from 30 years of technology in this hobby. People saying the solution is euro bracing, well euro bracing was not so much a thing then, at least I never saw one. These were the old plastic rimmed tanks with the ugly wood grain on them. Thin glass, never had one break or the seal bust.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But yet you still reply without reading anything bwyond 2 to 3 posts prior to yours.
sorry you don't know what I've read or not. The post (initial) was about a specific problem with RedSea tanks - which has been (as far as I know) - been fixed. The second post is different - and IMHO - should be in a new thread. After all - the title is failures about the 750 XXL tanks - right? IMHO - this is an issue between this poster and Redsea - its neither right or wrong - just my opinion. Since I have a redsea 750 XXL - I do have a bit of money 'in the. game - so to speak'. However - I do not think it's fair to put two issues together into a problem. All tanks leak.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A very big no. I never want to see another Red Sea product. I plan on selling or giving away the lights and skimmer, several times I commented that I tore the tank down to individual panes of glass and now they are expensive but pretty glass shelves in the garage. I spent almost two full days with little sleep keeping everything alive and setting up a new tank. 2k for the tank and 2k for all the other crap that goes with it.

With all of the issues we face as hobbyist trying to figure out all the little things to keep these critters and coral alive, the last thing I want to worry about is the tank suddenly popping a seam. Like I said previously, had tanks for over 30 years now. I remember having old ocean view and oceanic tanks that seals were so worn from cleaning that the absolute only sealant left was between the actual pieces of glass, the sealant was so old it was actually brittle, still moved those tanks around and not one time did I have one bust. I expected more from 30 years of technology in this hobby. People saying the solution is euro bracing, well euro bracing was not so much a thing then, at least I never saw one. These were the old plastic rimmed tanks with the ugly wood grain on them. Thin glass, never had one break or the seal bust.
This Is why I as a customer would be contacting RedSea - and complaining vigorously. I would be asking for compensation as well. You can choose to do what you wish.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Is why I as a customer would be contacting RedSea - and complaining vigorously. I would be asking for compensation as well. You can choose to do what you wish.

To what avail?

My tank was purchased from an individual that only had it for months, he got in over his head with a reef tank. As far as I know Red Sea does not honor that. Not to mention the amount of things you have to go through to get them to honor anything, lots of hand waving. And even if I did where would that get me? Since their product failed so miserably I do not want another one. Now if you rewind to a week ago I would talk rather positive about my Red Sea tank itself, that all changed when it happened to ME. Now the other products like my Red Sea skimmer and lights, crap products and I openly admitted that before.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry you don't know what I've read or not. The post (initial) was about a specific problem with RedSea tanks - which has been (as far as I know) - been fixed. The second post is different - and IMHO - should be in a new thread. After all - the title is failures about the 750 XXL tanks - right? IMHO - this is an issue between this poster and Redsea - its neither right or wrong - just my opinion. Since I have a redsea 750 XXL - I do have a bit of money 'in the. game - so to speak'. However - I do not think it's fair to put two issues together into a problem. All tanks leak.
You told us you don't read more than a few posts and surely won't ready everything.
Fourth - If you think I'm going to go back and read through multiple posts to figure out why you're mentioning Reefbuilders - you have more time than I do.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Looking at this post 7 hours after my SCA 150 aquarium seal busted and my tank leaked at 2am covering my entire living room.

529DDD23-1F42-46DF-B3E2-64C60C79B6E8.jpeg

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this post 7 hours after my SCA 150 aquarium seal busted and my tank leaked at 2am covering my entire living room.

529DDD23-1F42-46DF-B3E2-64C60C79B6E8.jpeg

Sorry to hear that. Luckily I found mine by standing in water right after work. I think maybe 1/4 of a gallon was on the floor.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m from California I don’t know where to find a replacement immediately

I was in panic mode, had my wife call the local reef shop who just happened to still be open. I asked what he had which was only two tanks, a PA 78 and a PA 120, I opted for the 78 gallon because I knew a 120 would need more people to get it in my house

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To what avail?

My tank was purchased from an individual that only had it for months, he got in over his head with a reef tank. As far as I know Red Sea does not honor that. Not to mention the amount of things you have to go through to get them to honor anything, lots of hand waving. And even if I did where would that get me? Since their product failed so miserably I do not want another one. Now if you rewind to a week ago I would talk rather positive about my Red Sea tank itself, that all changed when it happened to ME. Now the other products like my Red Sea skimmer and lights, crap products and I openly admitted that before.
If I had a tank that broke - I would be talking to the manufacturer. No one can answer your question (as to what avail() - however if I had 4200$ damage I would certainly contact the manufacturer. You also had palytoxin - you have had bad luck. Which is extremely unfortunate. But - hopefully I answered the question 'to what avail'.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should not force the mods to close this. I've seen that occur, great threads stopped solely due to anger level from detractors to a given rationale or approach. They know if the fight is hard enough, the thread will be closed

To disengage from all detractors is to win
Browser aids exist to assist that

This strategy keeps the thread open. Fair market will report split steam incidents if it stays open. If the thread is closed, no consumers get to know about split seam variables, patterns and ways to maybe help the tanks before they crack (match the stand to the tanks need)

This thread and a handful of others are the only fair account of how red sea handles their customer service when an obvious pattern exists.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back