Red Sea kh test kits

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just being doing my kh test to day to start dosing coralline grow, do you count the first drop as one?
my Lfs tested a sample too with a salifert kit, they got 7.5 mine was 7?? Slightly confused hope someone can help??

OP
OP
rubertoe93

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I know the coralline acts as a buffer too, so dosing the right amount I c an steadily raise it, thanks for your help

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bumping the thread here,
I have some significant difference between red sea and salifert kh test kit (i'm switching to red sea)
red sea is lower (1.5 dkh lower) than my salifert test kit.
I wonder if this is a comon problem (I know we should not aim numbers.)
But I aim numbers wich one tho?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had problems with red sea alk kit .
where it doesn’t change the colour after titration .

I have found I personally prefer salifert to be easier

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea alk test kit that comes bundled with the ca and mg is so much easier to use than the one with the silly dropper where you count drops. 10 ml in the vial, screw it into the handy mixer thingy, then push reagent until it turns green. I’ve found it to be super quick, and pretty stable readings. FWIW

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had trouble seeing the Red Sea color change. Alk I recommend salifert or Hanna.
The salifert is easy to see change color and you don’t count drops you just read the syringe when it changes.
The Hanna checker can get a little wonky towards the end of the reagent bottle so try and keep track of the number of tests you’ve done and switch to a new reagent kit once you hit 25 even though there will be reagent left in the bottle.

OP
OP
rubertoe93

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea alk test kit that comes bundled with the ca and mg is so much easier to use than the one with the silly dropper where you count drops. 10 ml in the vial, screw it into the handy mixer thingy, then push reagent until it turns green. I’ve found it to be super quick, and pretty stable readings. FWIW
I’ve since upgraded to the reef foundation pro, and yeah your right the kh pro is so much better! Are both the reagents the same? As I have a full bottle that came with the ph/kh test kit?

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve since upgraded to the reef foundation pro, and yeah your right the kh pro is so much better! Are both the reagents the same? As I have a full bottle that came with the ph/kh test kit?
cant say for sure, but I don't know why they'd source two different reagents - doesn't make sense. A quick test will tell you though. Just run the test with both reagents, if you get the same results, then they are almost assuredly the same.

OP
OP
rubertoe93

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant say for sure, but I don't know why they'd source two different reagents - doesn't make sense. A quick test will tell you though. Just run the test with both reagents, if you get the same results, then they are almost assuredly the same.
Ohh yeah I never thought of that kicking myself I didn’t think of it! Thanks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back